New research finds swearing good for the workplace

Krztoff

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think that all started back in the mid to late ninties in the Army. Thanks Bill Clinton for making it a better politicaly correct enviroment for use all! :angry: If I remember they said it created a bad image for us and was found offensive by most soldiers. Dont know who the [email protected]%$ they were, only met one that I can remember.

But I also agree there is a time and place for it and you have to know when to draw the line. I looked at like a tool to use most of the time to get a point across or put emphasis on something, not counting just BSing with other NCO's of course.

Guess I always figured if you couldnt take a strong a** chewing with some profanity without your feeling getting hurt, you probably wern't ment for the service anyways, But then again I caught the tail end of the "old army" with all the vietnam vets as well. Stress Cards! <_< Give me a friggin break!

Stress cards were a great idea! We had on guy that managed to hold on to his after boot camp. He brought it with him on the boat during his first underway. He was cranking in the galley and the COB (Chief of the Boat) started getting on his case about keeping the coffee pot full (COB was crusty and started out on diesel boats, if he didn't have his coffee, watch out). This E-1 whips out the stress card and tells the COB to give him some space. Man, I thought that it was only in cartoons that steam can come out a persons ears. After ripping up the card in many little pieces the COB reduces said E-1 to tears and then gave him space, the TDU (Trash Disposal Unit) Space. With a can of neverdull and a rag. I think it took most of an off watch to finish shining the compactor.

:blink: What's a stress card? We just had "Training Time-Outs" for when we were seriously sucking wind to the point of hyperventilating (aka two 8-counts from certain death or disfigurement). Then again, I recall my reaction to an issue of All Hands (the Navy's answer to Soldier magazine) that had an article about bootcamp's Battle Stations event* where all the participants were wearing.... SNEAKERS!? I ran Battle Stations in my boondockers and got stuck with the gear bag _after_ the swimming event (a sea bag full of soggy towels n' swim suits).

*: Battle Stations was a lovely all-night event that used to have you running all around Naval Recruit Training Command Great Lakes (aka Navy boot camp) in full battle dress. Shirt buttoned all the way up, pant legs tucked into your socks, gas mask in it's carrying case, and a solid steel helmet. Nowadays apparently they do all the events in one building, never run anywhere, and oh... they march to the pool rather than careen at top speed through the tunnel under the roadway to see how few lines of "Anchors Away" you had to sing before getting emerging again (All recruit divisions MUST sing Anchors Away in the tunnel.. them's the rules and signs are posted). But half the fun of racing around Great Lakes was singing at the top of your lungs to try and wake up all the sleeping divisions or at least get the watches to shine their Ricky Rayguns (cheapo flashlights with a life expectancy of about 5 minutes on average) out the window and a division tearing around the base in boots makes a heckuva lot more noise than one marching in sneakers. <_<

:blink: What's a stress card? We just had "Training Time-Outs" for when we were seriously sucking wind to the point of hyperventilating (aka two 8-counts from certain death or disfigurement). Then again, I recall my reaction to an issue of All Hands (the Navy's answer to Soldier magazine) that had an article about bootcamp's Battle Stations event* where all the participants were wearing.... SNEAKERS!? I ran Battle Stations in my boondockers and got stuck with the gear bag _after_ the swimming event (a sea bag full of soggy towels n' swim suits).

*: Battle Stations was a lovely all-night event that used to have you running all around Naval Recruit Training Command Great Lakes (aka Navy boot camp) in full battle dress. Shirt buttoned all the way up, pant legs tucked into your socks, gas mask in it's carrying case, and a solid steel helmet. Nowadays apparently they do all the events in one building, never run anywhere, and oh... they march to the pool rather than careen at top speed through the tunnel under the roadway to see how few lines of "Anchors Away" you had to sing before getting emerging again (All recruit divisions MUST sing Anchors Away in the tunnel.. them's the rules and signs are posted). But half the fun of racing around Great Lakes was singing at the top of your lungs to try and wake up all the sleeping divisions or at least get the watches to shine their Ricky Rayguns (cheapo flashlights with a life expectancy of about 5 minutes on average) out the window and a division tearing around the base in boots makes a heckuva lot more noise than one marching in sneakers. <_<

Stress cards were an experiment of the "kinder-gentler" sort that took place around '96 or '97 I think. The idea was that the recruits were suffering mental trauma by being yelled at, so someone in their infinite wisdow decide to give a recruit a piece of paper that he/she could whip out and said yelling would have to stop. Kind of a talk to the hand kind of thing. Yeah THAT would work. Kinda went over like a turd in a punch bowl. It lasted maybe 6 months. But we still talk about it to this day. Usually when some new program get put in place. "oh moral improvment initiative OPNAVINST 27xxx.xx rev 3?. That'll work as well as stress cards.

One thing I've noticed moving from Phoenix to Dallas and also from a Military environment to a Civilian environment is everyone is more sensitive about cussing in general here. So, one of my coworkers likes to cuss. But my manager wanted to break her habit. So, they had a Cuss Quarter Jar. Every time Trina cussed a quarter was taken from the jar and whatever was left at the end of the month she got to buy lunch with. Well she did a pretty good job. Then I emailed her this article on Thursday ::): She busted up laughing! My manager just sighed and did a face palm.

that had an article about bootcamp's Battle Stations event* where all the participants were wearing.... SNEAKERS!?

Started doing this in basic because of all the injuries from shin splints/ knees from all the running the recruits were doing. Think it was eairly ninties service wide if I remember correctly.

The Swear Jar

:lol: nice, think this is a excellent workplace policy