Crits!

shakhak

Why aren't there Critical Hit rules in Warlord?

It's always awesome to anihilate something in CAV, lets see it in warlord!

This was discussed almost a year and a half ago in this thread. The reason everyone came to is that it didn't make sense with models having so few damage tracks... But this isn't the case anymore.

For those who don't know how the Critical hits work in CAV, it's really simple. If you roll a natural 10, you roll again and add your attack modifier. You subtract the targets DV from your second roll, and that is how many extra points of damage you do.

Ex: I roll a 0. (Crit Hit) I then roll a 9, and add my +6 modifier. (total 15) My target is an undamaged reptus warrior (DV 12). So I do the initial point of Damage + (15-12 = 3). For a total of 4 points of damage.

In CAV there is an ability that adds to your DV against crits, this wouldn't be hard to implement in Warlord... Call it Armor/# and give it the same description.

So would anyone else like to see Crit Hits in the game?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for crits.

First you have to roll a natural 10 to even have a chance. And then you still have to make the second roll above the needed number to achieve it. So, the idea of a goblin doing critical damage to Rauthoros is that it would have to roll two 10s in a row. That seems fair.

Even Rauthoros would have to roll a 10 first before having the chance to do a crit, even if his second roll would probably need to be a lot less.

The one difference between Warlord and CAV I would say, is that with CAV, they are limited to only 1-2 attacks per turn (a very few have a possible 3rd attack). So having a critical shot that does 3-4 points of damage is balanced overall. In warlord where there are models that have 5 attacks (10 with frenzy), I think that if a crit hit is achived I think it should be maxed at 1 extra point each.

I'm fumbling around trying to find a way to turn this into a poll... Hey Mods, is it possible for us to make polls?

I'm very against making the 1 an auto miss. The Crits are hard enough to get in CAV, it requires a natural 10, and a high second roll. You're not promised anything, and many models are very resistant to the ability due to shielding.

There are CAVs with 4 attacks if I remember correctly, and almost all of the super CAVs have at least 3 attacks.. To be fair those are the ones you have to compare to models like Rauth with 5 attacks.

Perhaps in Warlord, a model shouldn't get a support bonus on their Critical damage roll. Warlord does offer easier ways to get a bonus, and it would help balance the fact that we have more attacks....

I am against making the two game systems rules differently though. So dispite the alternative above, I would rather keep it exactly the same.

After all, isn't it easier to decapitate the Crimson Knight scum when you've got two dwarven mancatchers holding them in place.

I am all for crits.

First you have to roll a natural 10 to even have a chance. And then you still have to make the second roll above the needed number to achieve it. So, the idea of a goblin doing critical damage to Rauthoros is that it would have to roll two 10s in a row. That seems fair.

Even Rauthoros would have to roll a 10 first before having the chance to do a crit, even if his second roll would probably need to be a lot less.

The one difference between Warlord and CAV I would say, is that with CAV, they are limited to only 1-2 attacks per turn (a very few have a possible 3rd attack). So having a critical shot that does 3-4 points of damage is balanced overall. In warlord where there are models that have 5 attacks (10 with frenzy), I think that if a crit hit is achived I think it should be maxed at 1 extra point each.

See I am going to disagree here...

I don't agree with the second roll

and I think a critical should only do 1 additional Damage..

A Critical in my mind is accidental or due to intimate knowledge of the target. I think a goblin and Demon should have equal chance of inflicting a critical. I am also all for giving certain targets SA that make getting a critical harder... I also don't hold that undead are immune to critical attacks. That is just somewhere D&D has screwed up.. An undead is just as likely to suffer a massive blow that renders him non combat worthy as any other creature.

I also don't think adding a fumble is absolutely neccesary..

I have to agree, most of us play Warlord to get away from over complicated mechanics like D&D and others games like it. The beauty of Warlord is in its simplicity and effective system, why add crits? I think we should focus on other area of the game where improvement could be found instead of adding new rules...