Human species "may split in two"

alchemist

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to read a lot about human evolutionary Biology in my Anthropological studies in college and graduate school. What he states as happening is not something I see ever happening. Will humans as a whole keep evolving? Possibly. However will they become two separate vastly different species as stated in the article? Where's his evidence? What I see him stating are a lot of broad overarching hypothesis with no credible evidence to back it up, much less adequate research.

Yeah news media are often too eager to run stories about the latest truth in science. Stuff that often has not even been published yet (and thus not peer reviewed), and which rarely represents the common views within the relevant field.

Logically sure it sounds reasonable to assume that if humans start breeding in a very specific and structured way we could evolve into two species, but is there an indicatino that this will happen? He's guessing about the motivations humans will have behind who they pick to produce kids with a LONG time into the future. Not based on any trends he's been studying or anything like that, it seems to be solely based on a thought experiment. Hardly scientific.

And it doesn't take economic factors into account. Women don't necessarily marry the best looking man, sometimes money makes a man more attractive.

Yeah you women claim to take other things into consideration but we all know women chose partners based solely on symmetrical faces, athletic looks, squareness of jaw, deepness of voice and Other Assets.

Personally I'd not ever sleep with a woman who didn't have naturally glossy hair, that's for sure.

**Edited by Reaperbryan for content.

I especially think it's funny that he's chosing features that humans systematically alter. How can women with naturally hairless skin and glossy hair be more evolutionarily competitive than women who get these features through artificial help (shaving and such)?

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

Hasn't this already happened? Doesn't this divide already exist? ::P:

Yes, but the genetic upper class are playing rpgs and wargames with little pewter people, while the dim-witted underclass run the country. :blink::blink::blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

The article's interesting, but it also seems to suppose we never leave earth, and doesn't mention environmental factors at all. Tis far more likely that in 100,000 years we'll diverge because some of us are living in space, and some still on the planet.

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

Hasn't this already happened? Doesn't this divide already exist? ::P:

Sort of, there's actually another group you forgot...the French.

:devil::poke:

Yes, but the genetic upper class are playing rpgs and wargames with little pewter people, while the dim-witted underclass run the country. :blink::blink::blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

The article's interesting, but it also seems to suppose we never leave earth, and doesn't mention environmental factors at all. Tis far more likely that in 100,000 years we'll diverge because some of us are living in space, and some still on the planet.

Isn't it amazing the small group of smart people are not the ones in power? Is it because we all know better and know the torture that would await us? Not to mention opposition to creating plans that . . . well . . . make sense and are logical?

Sorry, in a sarcastic mood about this topic!

I think that we will be leaving the planet in about 100,000 years if not sooner. Heck we are already building one space station. I can see more being built and people living in space. Not necessarily on different planets unless we come up with FTL travel and discover another earth like planet that close enough to get to, or even if humanity manages to create terraforming technology (I think this will be fiction forever though). Who knows what will happen though?

Isn't it amazing the small group of smart people are not the ones in power? Is it because we all know better and know the torture that would await us? Not to mention opposition to creating plans that . . . well . . . make sense and are logical?

I saw an article recently that said less intelligient people are more likely to take risks. Some of them get lucky enough for things to pay off.

I think that we will be leaving the planet in about 100,000 years if not sooner. Heck we are already building one space station. I can see more being built and people living in space. Not necessarily on different planets unless we come up with FTL travel and discover another earth like planet that close enough to get to, or even if humanity manages to create terraforming technology (I think this will be fiction forever though). Who knows what will happen though?

Actually, at this point in time, terraforming technology is more likely than interstellar travel - particularly FTL. We're already capable of transforming a desert environment into an oasis, terraforming is just an extension of that. A really large extension, but an extension of the principle all the same. Right now it's probably more scale and raw materials holding us back more than anything else.

FTL on the other hand - well, we don't even know where to begin, particularly in light of the evidence that it might not be possible at all.

I saw an article recently that said less intelligient people are more likely to take risks. Some of them get lucky enough for things to pay off.

Is now a good time to mention the movie Idiocracy?