So. You wanna be an elf.

wyrmgear

The procedure isn't so bad. I went to germany to have it done for my 18th birthday. It looks real cool, but when folks touch them they are always weirded out by the weak line through the middle. The cartilage can't reform itself into the same network so it loses some of its strength. Some folks say i look crazy, but I don't think it is any weirder than gaugeing your ears or getting a tattoo. The best is how convincing my Link costume (main character from zelda) is when i go LARPing.

Just kidding, I could never have that done.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, that's just creepy, and some people obviously have more money than sense.... :-P

The trouble with doing something like that in your youth (and none of those people look more than mid-twenties *at most*) is that no one ever thinks they are *really* going to be 40 or 50 or 60 or more (hahahahaha), or what that will look like when they are 40 or 50 or 60 or more...or if anyone will ever take them seriously job-wise, beyond "Do you want fries with that?"

Sorry - off soapbox (wipes foam from mouth)

The trouble with doing something like that in your youth (and none of those people look more than mid-twenties *at most*) is that no one ever thinks they are *really* going to be 40 or 50 or 60 or more (hahahahaha), or what that will look like when they are 40 or 50 or 60 or more...or if anyone will ever take them seriously job-wise, beyond "Do you want fries with that?"

Seeing all the old retired Navy guys at my Basic Electronics School in the Navy is exactly why I don't have a tattoo yet. 40-50 year old tattoo's don't look so good. So I quite agree with you.

But to play devil's advocate, here are some various jobs they could hold:

Models for sculptors like Werner.

Models for fantasy artists.

Actors for fantasy films like LotR.

Actors for Star Trek spin offs.

Actors for the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton in Vegas

Various amusment parks may need people with elven ears.

Or they always just grow their hair long or wear a hat...

:huh: I think the most startling thing about this is that people have actually done it. I may like elves to the point of it being a tad obsessive, but geez.. that's a tad extreme.

... there is a tiny part of me that's intrigued by the procedure since the doctor claims there's a frequency reception shift, altering moving the audible spectrum slightly up the range... would pointy ears mean that I could hear the tweety birds again? Could I watch TV and movies without subtitles or blasting the sound?

*sigh* Sucks to be me sometimes..

I would either go for Elf or halfling. I love to eat and it would be great to be a 3 foot bottomless pit. Currently I'm a five foot bottomless pit . . . and the shortest one in my family so I am a hobbit of sorts. ::):

Halfling isn't a SR race. :poke:

My wife calls me a hobbit because of how hairy my feet are...plus I'm a bottomless pit.

I've never played SR though so I just answered using fantasy races . . . ::(: I still say I'd be a hobbit! ::P:

Had to show my wife this and the first thing out of her mouth was "Well thats just wierd, why would someone do that? The point ot plastic surgery is to look better" :lol:

She kills me sometimes

Played SR quite a few years back when it was still a D6 system, that was alot of dice rolling :wacko:

When you meet someone who's sporting surgically-created elf ears....that's pretty much the universal sign for "Run Away!!!"

:lol:

(the sole exception being, of course, if the elf ears are on an unbelievably hot woman. :wub: )

Liv Tyler could pull it off. Anyone else... forget it. Just get a set of rubber Spock ears, then you're being ironic. Or something.

Ishil

If we're talking SR, I think I'd end up sporting my inner Troll on the outside... :devil:

I used to have a Troll decker called Hacker, with bleeding-edge chipped reflexes, a katana the size of a flagpole and a bike that looked like a steamroller with a cannon on the front... 8ft. cyber-nynja, booyah! :ph34r:::P:

Hmm, I'd stick with human. Seriously chipped, but human.

I think the more realistic question is what "would" you become not what would you choose to be. Personally I would never choose to be an elf anyhow. I like to break elves. Immortal my arse. Yur bleedin good enuf. That's why I say Orc or Dwarf although if I was being 100% honest I'd end up as an Orc I'm way to layed back be a dwarf. lol

Ya - my post should have been read to be "what you would be" as opposed to the "what would you choose to be". I suspect it's because I tend toward the skinny and pale phenotype.

I'd have to say, studying the pics on the site, that the hearing benefits they mention wouldn't be terribly significant considering the amount by which they're altering the shape of the ears... It's just the tips that are being changed. The ears are still flat against the head. Now, if they were changing them so they resembled cat's ears, that might make a truly noticeable difference...