spyware

Doombringer

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spyware...Spybot

Virus...depends on your situation. Avast is Free and OK, McAffee can be free for certain people. Not sure where you work, but a lot of places offer virus software for employees home computers (usually McAffee or Norton) in order to stop the number one way crap gets on the internal network (i.e. - I sent it to myself so it must be safe to open). Lots of them out there though...each slightly different from the rest.

I myself have been a McAffee user for 10 years or so, and haven't had any real problems with it.

I have Roadrunner and use AOL as my browser, so I have free McAffee. It is very good. If you have to buy one... I'd suggest McAffee or Norton.

Free antivirus ... avast or avira's antivir is my preferred client, very solid virus detection and low memory footprint/fast scan speeds.

Free antispyware ... combination of at least two clients .. I've used spybot S&D / adaware combination for years ... there might be better out there these days though. But generally it's a good idea to run at least two antispyware as one client will pick up something that another won't.

thanks guys.

i'm using 2 now, one i cant remember and the other is search and destroy.

i picked up something called winfixer which apparently is some popup advertisment thing and neither of the two can get rid of the it.

its driving me crazy... it minimizes whatever window im in (very annoying when playing WoW) so i can see the ad.

i'll DL adaware tonight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFixer

Have you updated Spybot with the newest definitions? That link says it will get rid of WinFixer...

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-120121-2151-99

Symantec has manual removal information there. Keep in mind that a lot of the better written spyware (not that it is good - just the programmer was a real dick) will need to be removed manually.

Spyware is DOOM.

Seriously. I ran both Adaware and Spyware and kept them up to date. One little thing can ruin your computer, prompting a complete wipe to get rid of it all. Even with anti-virus and spyware detection/removal software, you can get the nasty stuff that won't go away.

The last time was when this board was hacked and, if you used IE, you got hit with the thing. After a week of fighting, we had to format the hard drive and reinstall everything. I stopped using IE after that.

Keep everything up to date, run your spyware and anti-virus programs, and do not use IE or Outlook. Stick yourself behind a firewall. Everything you do won't keep you completely safe, but will help.

And don't use P2P of any kind. This is the easiest way for someone to not only load crap on your computer, but they can steal all sorts of valuable data at the same time, from tax information (I know a lot of you here use your computer to do your taxes) to bank records and financial institution website data/passwords.

ok, so heres the latest.

i have a bug that is constantly launching internet explorer to various ad websites.

ive run spybot search and destroy as well as adaware and both say im clean.

any ideas on this one?

It's in your registry and in your auto-restore files so while you may think you have gotten rid of it, when you reboot, it comes back. So yes, Ad-aware and Spy-bot will have solved the issue until you reboot and then you get screwed over again. Either you have to manually remove it from your registry and auto-restore, or if that fails, save what data you can to disk and wipe your HD.