Tis the season

King Tiger

So tell us your top 3 horror pics!!! I'm more a fan of the classics so #1 fer me is Dracula (1933 with Lagosi) Followed closely by #2 Frankenstein (Karloff), and for #3 The Grudge/Ju-On, nothing has made my skin crawl like that movie for a loong time. Ok now your turn...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... my top 5 favorite 'older' horror flicks...

5. Dracula -- 1933 version with Bela Legosi as Dracula.

4. Frankenstein -- Boris Karloff as the monster

3. The Birds -- Still scares the bejeebers out of me, Hitchcock is a master of suspense

2. Psycho -- The original with Anthony Perkins, not the new one

1. Creature From the Black Lagoon -- Also known as the reason I wouldn't go swimming in lakes until I was like... 15

Top 5 more recent 'horror' flicks...

5. Hellraiser -- Just the original, not the sequels please.

4. IT -- Technically a mini-series, but still only a little longer than the average movie when you take out the commercials

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street -- The original

2. The Ring/Ringu -- I kinda like the English adaptation better, more suspense..

1. Darkness Falls -- It's creepy, it's scary, the majority of death is implied, and it's not a slasher gore-fest like most 'horror' flicks today.

I've got a bunch of more recent horror movies, but they're mostly gore-fests which mean giggle fests when you watch with me.

For old movies -

1) The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (1919) - one of the best examples of german expressionism. My boss also looks like Doctor Caligari when he dresses up for halloween

2) Murnau's Nosferatu (1922) - Watch this and Shadow of the Vampire back to back.

3) The Golem (1915)

4) White Zombie w/ Bela Lugosi (1932)

5) Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

6) Night of the Living Dead 1968

Modern horror -

1) Hellraiser (Particularly Hellraiser 2 - but I love them all)

2) Alien

3) John Carpenter's "The Thing" (The remake is brilliant, the original was OK)

4) The Exorcist

5) The Toxic Avenger (YAY!)

6) Evil Dead II & Army of Darkness

Zombie Films!!!!

1) Shaun of the Dead (more of a love story, with zombies)

2) Peter Jackson's "Braindead" (Ahh kick butt for tha lawd!)

3) Dawn of the Dead (Both...)

4) 28 Days Later

5) Fido

6) Night of the Living Dorks

Oh man, where to start? (My post count on a horror movie board elsewhere would have given me several halos here by now.)

Our DVDs are also split into four categories: Horror, animated, special interest, everything else.

I'll just drop them in without numbering them. Maybe more in categories.

Older flicks:

Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Plan 9

Last Man on Earth

and of course, the original Night of the Living Dead

Trashy Flicks: (as in, Exploitation)

Night of the Demons (Lipstick doesn't work like that)

Little Witches (Heroes star Clea Duvall's first movie.)

Evil Dead 2.

Otherwise:

Creepshow

The entire Nightmare on Elm Street series. (Ask me about my bias)

May. This one is in the $10 bin right now. I paid closer to $27 and was still glad to own it.

Candyman & Lord of Illusions were two of the only three movies to scare me during the entirety of the 1990s.

Dark Castle's first three attempts: House on Haunted Hill (1999), Ghost Ship, Thir13en Ghosts. (OMG LEET!)

Puppet Master 3

Oddly enough, I don't like every horror movie I watch. I actually dislike most of them. The Exorcist and Army of Darkness are two really good examples of films I never want to sit through again. But oh man, I've had my Halloween costume for a month and a half then bought a second one a week later just to have it. This is my time of the year. :D

Easy peezy lemon squeezy...

1) Army of Darkness (is this horror?)

2) 28 Days Later

3) Alien/Aliens

4) The Blair Witch (This is the only one where you absolutely needed to see it in the theater on opening night, if you missed it.. sorry)

Editorial: Due to my wifes squeemishness I am not allowed to watch Horror with her... therefore if anyone knows of a gorgeous redhead that would like to watch Horror movies with me please let me know.

I LOVE horror and zombie movies-old or new! Most of my favorites have already been listed so I won't repeat them. However the one movie that really just scared the beejeebies out of me was Darkness Falls. I slept with all the lights on in the house for a couple of nights after seeing that one!

I remember seeing John Carpenter "The Thing" with Kurt Russell when I was a wee lad. It was on late night HBO or something (back when my parents had all 3 movie channels: HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime :lol:). I was pretty young, like 7 or so, to be watching that movie. And yeah, I was scared pretty bad. It still creeps me out, but I think it only has to do with that reason. ^_^

Otherwise, I have watched just about every type of horror movie out there, and to be quite honest, I don't find too many of them scary any more. I usually just laugh at everything any more.

For example: I went to The House of 1000 Corpses opening weekend. Saturday afternoon matinee. There was myself, 12 random people, and these 2 middle age ladies. I point them out for a reason. During the movie, I seem to have been the only one laughing at the jokes, while eating my popcorn of course, but I didn't care. When the movie ended, those 2 middle age ladies all but literally ran out of the theater. What did they expect? Hi!! It was called House of 1000 Corpses, not 1000 Crocheting Grandmas. :lol:

Wild Bill :blues: