Sign in to follow this  
Sparrow's Tail

Kain Swiftblade 03039

Hey everyone,

This is my latest project Kain Swiftblade. I am still waiting for some green and brown stuff to arrive to work on the base. I plan on blending the base into the rocky cliff then adding sparse bits of flora. I liked the rock base because it seems to match the colour scheme I chose, aswell, it has lots of variation, layering, and different colouring to give it a more 28mm feel. I think it should work pretty well.

Now to business. I am still trying to become consistent with my NMM techniques. Some things I am happy with others are challenging. I dilute my paints quite a bit but they're not drying really smooth. I know my water here in the country is pretty hard.

His armour is in various stages of completion with lots of touch ups I know, I would appreciate any observations or suggestions from all the NMM masters I know who are out there.

If I squint its looks like metal but not polished ::D:

::): Thanks ST

P.S. Hope the pics are not too big, but I wanted to show all my badness in full glory to get good feedback. :unsure:

post-3760-1193575733.jpg

post-3760-1193575746.jpg

post-3760-1193575758.jpg

post-3760-1193575918.jpg

post-3760-1193575940.jpg

Looking very nice ST.

As for the hard water - drop a few loonies on a bottle of distilled water - it will last you a really long time and avoid the hard water deposits.

Pics aren't too big either... Actually seem kind of small... Not complaining - just sayin' is all...

It all looks pretty good to me- but to help with smoothing you can do two things. Thin the paint, which it sounds like you're doing. And create more steps between colors. I generally lay down a base, then do dark shadows. Then a first, second and third highlight (not to white yet), then a glaze to smooth out. Then reapply the third highlight, and finally a fourth highlight to white. For large areas I'll do a couple extra steps to help with the transitions.

My three suggestions:

1. Before you ever prime your mini, put it under this same lightand take a picture of it. This will help show you where and how the bright spots and shadows are.

2. Use more steps between colors, ie. mix some colors together before putting them on. Example: layer one all brown, layer two two parts brown 1 part yellow, layer three 1 part brown 2 parts yellow, layer four all yellow, layer five two parts yellow, one part offwhite, etc..., etc...

3. goes hand in hand with #2, remember to go smaller and smaller with each layer of highlight, but remember where those spots are from the pictures in step one. The hotspots are not always in the middle of the piece. Each piece depending on the angle and shape will have a different hotspot.

Looking very nice ST.

As for the hard water - drop a few loonies on a bottle of distilled water - it will last you a really long time and avoid the hard water deposits.

Pics aren't too big either... Actually seem kind of small... Not complaining - just sayin' is all...

I don't get it - why the loonies*? If it's distilled water, there shouldn't be any hardness, right? So are the loonies just there to remind you not to drink it or something? Or am I wrong about the distillation process leaving behind minerals that cause hardness?

Anyhow, sorry to go off-topic - all I can really say about your NMM is that it's better than I've been able to achieve.

edit -> D'Oh! I swear, I saw an 'i' there the first time. But yeah, if my eyes worked properly I'd have fully understood why one might spend some cash "on" distillled water. It was the "drop" that threw me, I guess. This isn't the first thread that's turned into a discussion of Canada's embarrassing coinage nomenclature, but at least it's the first time I'm to blame!

Kang

* - AKA $1 coins, for you non-Canadians out there. Sounds goofy, I know; there's a loon (the large aquatic bird, not the nutjob who came up with the nickname) on the tails side. Just don't ask what most of us call our $2 coins, 'cause that one's twice as pathetic...

* - AKA $1 coins, for you non-Canadians out there. Sounds goofy, I know; there's a loon (the large aquatic bird, not the nutjob who came up with the nickname) on the tails side. Just don't ask what most of us call our $2 coins, 'cause that one's twice as pathetic...

How do you people have serious economic discussions? I can't imagine everyone in the room keeping a straight face.

Looking very nice ST.

I don't get it - why the loonies*? If it's distilled water, there shouldn't be any hardness, right? So are the loonies just there to remind you not to drink it or something? Or am I wrong about the distillation process leaving behind minerals that cause hardness?

Anyhow, sorry to go off-topic - all I can really say about your NMM is that it's better than I've been able to achieve.

Kang

Sorry for the confusion Kang - I said on not in...

So spend some money on some distilled water in other words.

Krztoff - as Canadians we hardly have any serious discussions on money ::P: . Beer and Hockey - different story.

edit-> I totally swooped in with this while Sparrow was posting... Sorry Sparrow. :devil:

Hey folks

I think Versutus meant "spend" a few "dollars" on a bottle of distilled water ::P:

For anyone wondering about the whole loonie and twoonie thing.

My take is that when the Canadian government of the day made the decision to change from bill to coin coming up with the whole tongue and cheek name loonie is a way to commemorate and mock the "infinite wisdom" :lol: of the elected party of that time to spend millions to phase out and phase in a new form of currency :wow: . The fact that there is a Northern Loon on the coin made it a natural fit to call the coins loonies and get a jab in at the feds for their foolish lunatic decisions.

My opinion, not that of all Canadians I'm sure

ST