Silly Laws

alchemist

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm - some of those laws are silly now, but probably not when they were made - like no driving cattle through the streets of London, or the prohibition against wearing a suit of armor in parliment. The only thing silly about them now is that they haven't been removed from the books. Which is somewhat silly in and of itself.

A couple of times in the last few years, we've had ballot measures here in Colorado to remove obsolete language from our

State Constitution - beleive it or not, there is a contingent who always lobbies against it on the grounds that it will be erasing some of our history.

What I'm curious about - I want to know what situations occured that caused the laws against getting fish drunk, and driving blindfolded. You know there are stories behind those laws.

What I'm curious about - I want to know what situations occured that caused the laws against getting fish drunk, and driving blindfolded. You know there are stories behind those laws.

That's exactly what I'm wondering too. Or what about that store clerk? Or the Scotsman carrying a bow and arrow? Pretty dang specific for not having a good story to go along with it.

hehe

look at these for NC

If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.

or

A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.

or this

Women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times.

haha I'd like to see the cops enforce that! That law itself would be revenue for a long while....

I think it may have been like sometime in the 1950's that the state of Connecticut finally got rid of the law that said that if a judge deems your children incorrigible, you can have them handed over to the state militia to be shot...

There's also another one in Rhode Island about how it's legal to shoot at someone in Massachussets as long as you're standing on the RI side of the state line... Personally, I think that one might not be as dumb as it sounds, hehehehe :lol: