Tough

Pacerfan

Does the SA Tough do anything for the figure if in melee when their opponent gave them a "fatal" last wound? If I read the rule correctly, since a coup de grace is a free action, then they just deliver it to the Tough figure and it's removed. Is Tough only really useful when you get a figure killed by a ranged attack or a spell?

Hope that makes sense...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

coup is a free action as part of a loot action. So you're still using a non-combat action kill coup the stunned model.

Exactly, so even if a model goes down to Tough in combat, his opponent still has to have a non-combat action to coup... and that action many times may be better used by moving or taking off or burrowing or picking something up etceteras.

I don't really understand the part of the question regarding range... tough is useful whether you go down from melee or range or magic, no matter how you go down it is a chance to get back up.

the range bit makes sense if you thought coup'ing was a completely free action. In that case it would only be useful against ranged and magic attacks.

Yes, that is what I interpreted it. But now I know that its still part of your non combat phase even though it's free. It just didn't seem too useful of an ability at the time...

I have another question with Tough.

If you have a character fighting two other figures and your character drops one of them in melee combat, and you have a non combat action left after that, can you coup de grace the eliminated figure for free even though you are still in combat fighting that second figure? It would seem that you'd be too busy fighting that other guy to finish off that guy that had just fallen. Or is it okay to finish him off then and there while fighting other figures?

I have another question with Tough.

If you have a character fighting two other figures and your character drops one of them in melee combat, and you have a non combat action left after that, can you coup de grace the eliminated figure for free even though you are still in combat fighting that second figure? It would seem that you'd be too busy fighting that other guy to finish off that guy that had just fallen. Or is it okay to finish him off then and there while fighting other figures?

It's not a free action, but yes, you could use your second action to coup him. Looting him, (which would make the coup free) I would have a problem with, but a quick stab or boot to the throat I can handle.

Castlebuilder

The problem that usually pops up is that a player wants to convert one of his attacks into a loot action after charging an enemy and killing it with muliple models. Say you have 3 guys charging (non combat action) and then attacking an enemy model. After having resolved the attacks of the first two guys you've killed the enemy. Problem is that you've already declared your third guy to be attacking the enemy. So even though you don't need to roll the attack dice, you're already committed to attacking and can't loot instead.

Did this make sense? I've seen some ugly arguments come up when people haven't been specific enough when declaring what their models were going to do.

The problem that usually pops up is that a player wants to convert one of his attacks into a loot action after charging an enemy and killing it with muliple models. Say you have 3 guys charging (non combat action) and then attacking an enemy model. After having resolved the attacks of the first two guys you've killed the enemy. Problem is that you've already declared your third guy to be attacking the enemy. So even though you don't need to roll the attack dice, you're already committed to attacking and can't loot instead.

Did this make sense? I've seen some ugly arguments come up when people haven't been specific enough when declaring what their models were going to do.

I always tell people that they should declare all attacks or declares attacks and coup de grace before making their charges , just to be clear . :poke: