Spell Duration?

DanyBoy

I need some clarification concerning the duration of spells like Blessing and Divine Vigor. It stipulates in RC2007 that these spells last until the end of the model(s) next activation. So which of two following examples is correct?

A)In turn 1 a cleric cast Blessing and affects four model of its troop. These models will receive the +1 bonus to their roll for this turn and the next.

B)In turn 1 a cleric cast Blessing and affects four model of its troop. These models will receive the +1 bonus to their roll for this turn only since their next individual activation of the affected models is just after the casting of the spell.

C)If the same cleric cast Blessing on 3 models from another troop that has not yet been activated this turn, these models will gain the benefit of the spell for this turn only.

D)A and C are correct.

I always thought the answer was D, but the discussion came up during our last game…

Many thanks…

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D is correct. Sort of

I think you have the mechanic right, and you are doing it right, but the wording in your examples is wrong so you might confuse people. You can't simply say: These models will receive the +1 bonus to their roll for this turn and the next, because that is not true, they do not receive the bonus for the whole turn, only until the end of their next activation, once that occurs they do not gain any benefits for the remainder of the game turn. A better way to word it might be These models will receive the +1 bonus from the moment of casting bless, until the end of their next activation in the following turn.

The end of a models next activation: so spells cast by a spellcaster who is part of a troop, can effectively be taken advantage of throughout two activations by that troop if you plan correctly.

Eg. Turn 1, cleric casts bless, affected models gain +1 to their rolls for this activation, for the remainder of the current game turn, and until they are finished their next activation in the following turn (Turn 2). (Don't forget to give yourself +1 on Defensive Strikes, Defensive Shots etc.)

Eg. Turn 1, cleric Casts Bless on a Solo model, Solo models gains +1 until it's next activation, whether that be later in Turn 1, or in Turn 2, depends upon whether or not the Solo activated prior to the casting cleric during turn 1 initiative.

Sorry about the wording, you are absolutely right I can see where it could be confusing. Since I had the mechanics right, can I also assume that two blessing can stack? That is the way I understood it, but some in my group were not sure…

If you can stack two Blessing, can I also assume that spell like Divine Vigor and Burst of Speed also do?

Many thanks again…

Everything stacks except bonus' from equipment. 2 pieces of equipment that grant benefits to the same statistic do not stack, you use the higher value.

For example, if you bought a model a Greater Familiar (+2CP, +1MAV), and a Greater Magic Weapon (+2 MAV), your total bonus to MAV would only be +2.

Everything else stacks:

An attacking model with MAV 5, carrying a GMW (+2), under the effects of a bless spell (+1), with another attacking model in base-to-base (+1), being supported by 2 reach models (+2), and attacking a model in the rear (+1) would effectively have a MAV of 12.