Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Box set ideas

I'm in agreement with Spike that making to boxed set something that can be a "repeat buy" just seems like good business sense. Use non-uniques wherever possible, and where that fails in rare cases, use a model that can *become* non-unique in a faction-pure list or even sublist (just for an offhand example, including the Devourer of Mashaf as a solo in a Darkspawn box - it's unique, but becomes non-unique in both the default DS list and the Demonic Conclave sublist).

I do think, however, that a mix of models are key for these new boxes - otherwise, you might as well buy an army pack of whatever soldier model you want, get a captain, and be done with it. It seems to make more sense that the boxed sets should include all of the core concepts of the Warlord game: melee vs. ranged combat, spells casting, multiple activations, troops vs. solos, command structure, elites, and grunts vs. adepts. So, while the following might not work perfectly for every faction, I'd think a standard boxed set should be something like:

Non-unique Captain (with a x-8/1 Troop value or better)

Non-unique Elite (preferrably a spellcaster)

2 melee Grunt Models

2 Adept Models

2 ranged models

Solo

There should be enough possible combinations there to create balanced lists for just about any faction. Also, something to consider (perhaps not something that people will like to much), but with the recent price increases, a similar price increase in a boxed set might be in line. A price point of $45 or even $50 might be in order to produced a more balanced boxed set that includes multiple activations and more diverse models.

A boxed set such as this does present an interesting problem on Reaper's end tho... packaging. I'm sure that packing 6 different kinds of models (and potentially different sculpts of some of those models) in one box is a labor-intensive endeavor. At least, much more so than say, packing an army blister with 3-5 copies each of 2-3 different sculpts.

Even with such a potential hurdle, it seems to me that this kind of boxed set would be most useful to old and new players alike; a good balanced generic boxed mix gives a new player something competitive and entertaining to play with straight out of the package, and would still be valuable and useful to experienced players that wanted to expand their army by another 500 or so points.

~v

Just for grins, I went back and calculated a Reptus boxed set based on this sort of idea, and came up with the following, based solely on available models (datacards without existing models were not considered):

Chai-Uut

T'Kay

2 Clutchlings

2 Archers

2 Nagendra Rangers

River Troll (taken as an Outrider solo)

plus 35 points of spells for T'Kay

499 points

Total model cost: $49.91 (estimated, based on the rangers and archers having a $4.49 individual cost)

It covers all the basics, and comes in around the correct pricing. I'd even buy more than one of these, as a starting player

Edited by Shakandara

These are great points: sets full of non-unique and a mixture of model types. Please stress these points when the boxes are created, I beg.

Let's face it, although the older boxes were great deals, having one type of grunt was almost a let down. I was reluctant to buy the Reptus one because it was full of JUST warriors. Of course, I did pick it up since it was such a wonderful buy, but I wasn't happy that I got just one type of grunt(adept). As Vince showed, it isn't hard to design a list that appeals to both beginner and experienced players. The soldier packs take care of the "get a bunch quick" buyer....let the boxes offer variety, please.

Edited by chesme

I don't think that having only non-uniques and grunts is a good idea. I personally play adepts a lot more often than grunts.

If you want numerous grunts of the same type buy a 9 pack. The starter sets should offer a great company not an average one.

Also with only nine figs getting 500 would be difficult for some factions and the company wouldn't be based on being good but being non-unique. Can you even get 500 points with 9 models with elves or Necropolis or Crusaders or anyone for that matter?

The models that create the best troop should be used. If that means the Dwarfs take Logan and the Crusaders take the Duke, and the Nefsokar take Devourers and elves take Deathseekers then so be it.

I don't think that having only non-uniques and grunts is a good idea. I personally play adepts a lot more often than grunts.

I will point out that I did not say to use *only* non-uniques and grunt models. I suggest that non-uniques be used "wherever possible", and further suggested that Adept models *should* be included.

Also with only nine figs getting 500 would be difficult for some factions and the company wouldn't be based on being good but being non-unique. Can you even get 500 points with 9 models with elves or Necropolis or Crusaders or anyone for that matter?

Obviously, there are some factions where there are an abundance of cheaper models, and those will have to be dealt with accordingly. But I think that by and large, my suggestion works for the majority of the factions. To illustrate:

Necropolis

Gauren w/15 points of upgrades

Malek w/45 points of spells

2 Crimson Knights

2 Chattel

2 Skeletal Archers

Kaena

2 Troops, 9 models, 500 points, $42.41 of figures (estimated, based on cost of archers)

-or-

Necropolis

Azarphan w/15 points of upgrades

Malek w/55 points of spells

2 Crimson Knights

2 Wraith Harvesters

2 Skeletal Archers

Deathrider w/Outrider

2 Troops, 9 models, 499 points, $45.91 of figures (estimated, based on cost of archers)

-and-

Crusaders

Ironraven

Halbarad w/45 points of spells

2 Justicars

2 Ironspines

2 IC Archers

Celestial Lion

2 Troops, 9 Models, 498 points, $50.91 of figures (estimated, based on cost of archers and ironspines)

-or-

Crusaders

Brannor w/40 points of spells

Finari

2 Battlenuns

2 Templar Knights

2 IC Archers

IC Light Lancer (w/Outrider)

2 Troops, 9 Models, 499 points, $50.91 of figures (estimated, based on cost of archers and knights)

Clearly, not only is is possible to get 500 points with 9 models, you can also build a mixed and even playable (ok, I'll give you that ICAs bite) force at that point value with little trouble. Further, each one of these examples are sets that could be sold to someone more than once, and I didn't have to work very long or very hard to come up with those lists. I'm sure that if Reaper were to ask for specific suggestions for boxed sets with guidelines like what I've suggested, anyone who plays one of the factions could come up with a number of lists that would fulfill the requirements.

There's nothing that says "stock" and "profitable" have to be mutually exclusive from "playable".

~v

Edited by Shakandara

I think that the priorities should be:

1. an arguably playable 500 point force
  2. an economically viable force (from Reaper's perspective)
  3. 2 activations
  4. including a spell caster, preferably non unique
  5. including at least one non unique leader
  6. a mix of soldier types

The actual count of minis should depend on the other factors and priorities. While 9 might be a nice target number, I don't see that as being a requirement.

Ron

PS: As a side note, the starter boxes shouldn't overlap with any deluxe starters in terms of spell casters, leaders, or solos. So, if the current deluxe starter remains (which seems unlikely based on previous comments), a Crusaders starter wouldn't have Ironraven or Halbarad.

I'm in agreement with Shak, Spike and Ron. One thing to consider with a 500 point starter box that doesn't use uniques, either - if the local group is playing mostly 1000 or even 1500 point battles, a beginner can still jump right in by buying multiple "starter" sets. So with a $40 price point, for a 500pt army, someone could jump right into 1500 pt battles by simply buying three sets. Sure, may not be the most tactically sound army, but it's a good start for a beginner, or even as a basic army core for someone looking to build a different faction.

The ability to market the sets to repeat buyers would be a good thing, too - more sales for the sets overall means they're more likely to stay stocked at the FLGS.

If the starter sets work, some bundled add-on sets might be a good idea, too - blisters with 3-6 models that form an "instant" troop.

I will point out that I did not say to use *only* non-uniques and grunt models. I suggest that non-uniques be used "wherever possible", and further suggested that Adept models *should* be included.

Yeah, I think Spike was the one who suggested all non-unique and grunts. I'm aware you can make 500 point lists with nine models, I've posted like fifteen in this thread. Your list are not non-unique grunt lists, which is what I was addressing. Your lists have adepts, using any models you want of course you can make 500 point list for every faction. But if you only use non-uniques and grunts you would be hard pressed to make a 500 list for any faction.

Also I don't see Reaper putting anything larger than a standard base in these sets. Gus seems to want them to be pretty equivilent to a 9 pack... 9-10 models for $40... So I don't see any Cavalry, or lions.