Which brushes to order???/

Adenosine

I was going to order some of the WN series 7s that everyone speaks highly of. I just don't know which ones to buy. Should I buy the Series 7 rounds or the Miniatures series.

Which sizes? :blink:

I have about 60 bucks TOTAL to drop on them. That has to include shipping. :unsure:

Thanks lots!!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to get by with spending $40 or so.

Now, people are going to have slightly different preferences as far as the rounds/normal Series 7 and the Miniatures. So, you'll get both opinions. The point on both will be very sharp as long as you treat the brushes well. The Miniatures will be shorter.

I happen to like the rounds. The Miniatures will give you slightly more control if you are a beginner, but, the difference is pretty minimal, and I like keeping the paint a little further away from the ferrule.

As far as sizes, you can easily get by with a #2 or #1, a #0, and a #3/0. Add in a ceramic palette, and you'll come under $40 (including shipping) if you order from Dick Blick.

Then, take part of the remaining cash and a 40% coupon for Hobby Lobby or Michael's and go pick up some Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver (or is it Restorer) at one of those two stores. Use the brush soap religiously along with some hair conditioner.

Ron

Hi, if you want an array, 1 and down, which is 4 brushes total, will do you very well, some people like a 2 as well, but I personally find a 2 in WN to big. Mainly I wanted to point out though, that the WN have gone up recently and a better deal is Escoda - the Tajmir Kolinsky line. They come in more sizes and thier sizes are different than the WNs. Lots of water color artists (for which these two brushes are actually made) prefer the Escoda and claim that the tips hold together better than the WN's, whose tips tend to split a bit, but it is really a matter of preference I think, they are both equal brushes, but the Escoda is cheaper. One other nice thing about them is that the Escoda has more sizes available and so you may find a size you like better. In the small brushes, the escoda is longer, for instance WN's .8 mm width is a 3/0 and i is 5.56 mm long, Escodas .8 mm is thier 0, and it is 8 mm long, quite a bit longer for a brush that skinny. So that is something to consider, whether you like a longer or shorter brush. Anyway, you can get a set of escoda Tajmirs at dick blick for about 22.00 for 4, or about 32 for the newtons, so you will be able to get whatever and however many you want.

Ernst

Ok thanks

I due tend to like a shorter brush due to control and the snap seems to be better to me. So I guess I would be best for the miniatures series then aye? I am using GW and other syn. brushes atm they have been good so far but I find the more I want to work with techs that I am learning and reading about they tend to lose there snap. I use a ceramic palette already so I guess I would be good there.

So a 2, 1, 0, and a 3/0 is a start is the 3/0 also referred to as 00 or would that be a 2/0??

Sorry brush noob here I have just made due with cheap stuff and wanted to see what I could buy for better results?

Thanks!!!!!

Hey Aden,

I have the following brushes:

W&N Series 7 Standard Size 2

W&N Series 7 Miniature 1--I use this one the most. It has THE BEST point out of all of them. I don't know if I just got lucky on that one but it's the best, even for the tiniest details.

W&N Series 7 Miniature 0

W&N Series 7 Miniature 00

W&N Series 7 Miniature 000

I would recommend getting a cheaper sable to be your workhorse brush though and save your W&N's for detail work.

most people find miniature series easier to handle. I`d go for the 2 and 1 sized ones. smaller brushes I use rarely - the tip of the Series 7 brushes is so fine you could paint even extremely small details with rather large brush. I`d also buy cheap (no Series 7) flat brush (size 4) for covering larger, flat areas.

I'd say pick up a size 2 flat actually... not a Kolinsky, something cheap and synthetic. I get a lot of mileage out of my size 2 when basecoating cloaks.

Personally, I have sizes 1, 0, and 2/0 Series 7's and hardly touch them. *sigh* silly me and my synthetics. Sable and synthetics are two entirely different critters when it comes to painting, and I'm really rather comfortable with my synthetics. ::D:

Most internet stores accept paypal these days, tis why I was hoping they did. No big deal I just broke out the old debit card would have been better to use paypal now I have to shift some money around.

I don't have or use Credit cards they are evil!!!!!!!!

Most internet stores accept paypal these days, tis why I was hoping they did. No big deal I just broke out the old debit card would have been better to use paypal now I have to shift some money around.

I don't have or use Credit cards they are evil!!!!!!!!

I might be behind the times here, but last I knew, Paypal was basically used by individals and mom and pop businesses who couldn't (or didn't want to) get a merchant service provider. I don't shop online frequently enough to notice a difference, but what big internet stores accept paypal? I can't think of any major electronic, apparel or department stores that do...

Hey Aden,

I have the following brushes:

W&N Series 7 Standard Size 2

W&N Series 7 Miniature 1--I use this one the most. It has THE BEST point out of all of them. I don't know if I just got lucky on that one but it's the best, even for the tiniest details.

W&N Series 7 Miniature 0

W&N Series 7 Miniature 00

W&N Series 7 Miniature 000

I would recommend getting a cheaper sable to be your workhorse brush though and save your W&N's for detail work.

ok... call me a n00b... But what is W&N stand for? :unsure: