GW matte varnish, any good?

Mad Jack

I've been using a crappy sealer I bought at one of the local craft stores for far too long, which ends up with more of a satin finish than matte. For some godawful reason, I can't seem to find Testor's dullcote anywhere around here, so the other night I picked up a can of GW matte varnish. Is this stuff any good? And just how "matte" is matte? lol

Reading the ingredients on the back, I keep thinking this stuff's probably of more use to terrorists than painters, lol.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used it for a long time and I like it well enough. 'Matte' is pretty matte, unless you put it on too heavy in which case it doesn't behave too well.

There are some disadvantages to it, namely that it's pricy. The past few years they put something in the stuff so it has that 'fake banana' smell...probably because it used to smell really noxious.

the gw`s varnish is a tricky one - when applied correctly gives nice results. other times it can ruin your model. moreover i found that it sometimes is different from can to can (even though I shake the can quite much) - not always that matte.

personally if you can`t get testors I`d go for Krylon matte with UV filter. Good an reliable stuff.

The past few years they put something in the stuff so it has that 'fake banana' smell...probably because it used to smell really noxious.

Amyl acetate most likely...

Anywho, it works OK. Compared to some clear coats it can be a little on the finicky side. I think there are better ones available for the money, but GW products do have better market penetration than a lot of others...so it is nice to be familiar with it in a pinch.

For those in New England states (and elsewhere) Testors paints may have been caught up in the whole low VOC mess that recently came through your area. A lot of US manufacturers had to stop selling their products in certain states do to new tree hugger friendly laws. Although GW is definitely not low VOC compliant, they remain under the radar - since most the enforcement groups probably don't realize it exists.

Shouldn't you be asking if the stuff is any good BEFORE buying it?

My experience, either GW products work like crap, or they work fine, at twice the price of others. GW, as a rule of thumb, should be avoided if at all possible.

Specifically, the can of GW finish that I had left a white fuzzy appearance on the mini's.

if it's purity seal ( matt varnish) then it's pretty good. very matt but watch out cos they got quality control issue so test spray first or you might end up with a batch of frosted minis which have got nothing to do with humidity. i thought they stopped making the matt varnish? they don't sell it anymore here in the uk? are they selling it in the us?

GW's "matte" varnish never gave me good "matte" results. So I largely prefer Mr. Hobby's "Mr. Super Clear : Flat". That spray is very popular here in Japan and many plastic model funs and train model funs are using. So you may find one in a shop which is importing Gundam models or Tamiya's military models.

I stopped using Testor's because while it gives great initial results, I have heard of long term yellowing problems from too many reliable sources.

I'm currently experimenting with a Golden product, available at most good art (not hobby) stores.

Krylon spray did not give me a flat enough finish.

GW products are horribly overpriced, but usually don't have exceptional quality to back it up.

GW's "matte" varnish never gave me good "matte" results. So I largely prefer Mr. Hobby's "Mr. Super Clear : Flat". That spray is very popular here in Japan and many plastic model funs and train model funs are using. So you may find one in a shop which is importing Gundam models or Tamiya's military models.

I second this - I only use Gunze clear coats for my display pieces...table top, well that is a different story all together.

It is a little more difficult to get a hold of, though Michigan Toy Soldiers does stock it - and any brick and mortar store can get it through Dragon Models (primary US distributer for Gunze). Squadron also carried it - not sure if they still do.

I've been using a crappy sealer I bought at one of the local craft stores for far too long, which ends up with more of a satin finish than matte. For some godawful reason, I can't seem to find Testor's dullcote anywhere around here, so the other night I picked up a can of GW matte varnish. Is this stuff any good? And just how "matte" is matte? lol

Reading the ingredients on the back, I keep thinking this stuff's probably of more use to terrorists than painters, lol.

Really? last time I walked through Michael's in Waterford I could have sworn that I saw a couple cans of Dullcote. Also, some of the WallyMarts carry it sometimes too (but you've got to look hard, sometimes it's in with the crafts and sometimes in with the modle cars).