Sign in to follow this  
mathewbaich

Pistol wraith

Hello, I haven't posted here in forever. thought I'd do so with a new miniature to get back in the swing of things. My dullcoat went weird on me and went on quite glossy. If anyone can tell me how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it. Comments and criticism are welcome.

pistolwraith.jpg

• Like 1

Sharp looking mini, kind of like a undead gunslinger. Like the colors you used ,looks really good.

I have been using testors dull cote for alot of years and the only time I've ever had a problem was when I coated on down before it was dry, caused it to form bubbles under it. Idont know why it would go on glossy, maybe a bad lot?

The cure for glossy Dullcote is a new can of Dullcote, from my own experience.. Some slightly thinned RMS Matte Sealer will kill the glossiness as well...

This has got to be my only favorite Cryx model, the alternate sculpt Pistol Wraith ::D: The scheme makes it look like Goreshade or Deneghra has revived a long-dead Cygarian arcane gun mage. Love it :wub:

Good job! I also like the blue and brown, painting looks also quite good, the only thing I would change is the colour of the bones, I think it is to close to the browns so I think bleached bone would give more contrast. Jubilee told me to thin the Reaper brush on sealer with a lot of water for a matt finish and it works good.

Nice work. Very clean. ::):

As Helltown suggests you may need a new can of Dullcote.

I've also found, however, that Dullcote requires a good two-minutes of vigorous shaking, even if the can hasn't been sitting that long (but ESPECIALLY if it has.) Pressurizing the can under warm water is also helpful. But shaking is imperative. I've been able to run a can of Dullcote to a dry empty fizzle without getting the glossies simply by shaking like a madman.

well, what me and someone else that I have been talking with over at CMON believe that the P3 paints are to blame. I re sealed another mini of mine with the same can of dullcoat and it dried matte like it should. maybe it's not the dullcoat to blame after all.

I just tried my hand at using Testors Dullcote for the first time, and mine came out glossy too. I'm quite disappointed, after years of hunting for this brand. Finally found it at Hobby House, locally (aside from Michael's, probably the best source of minis gear within driving distance). Maybe I got a really old can? If so, I guess I'm out of luck, as I haven't been able to find it anywhere else, and it was well enough hidden in the bowels of the store where I bought it that I doubt it's a big enough seller there to ensure they'll have new cans anytime soon.

- I did shake it well, though possibly not well enough.

- I did go back and give it another coat after it was dry, shaking it a little more vigorously this time. Twice.

- I did spray it down with acrylic gloss first, having heard this would help protect my paint job better

- I did let all coats of all sprays dry completely before the next layer went on

- I did soak my can of dullcote in hot tap water for 15 minutes before my first couple of attempts.

So I don't know if it was the particular can I used, something I did wrong, or something I didn't do. But my mini is still overly shiny too.

Could it be my spray technique? How many passes do you guys make with the spray can on a given side of your minis? How far away do you hold the can? Would these factors even affect the glossiness of the finish? I might be using too much, but I have no idea if that is the case or not.

I'll try shaking the heck out of the can for, like, 5 minutes and spray a thin layer on again tonight, if I get a chance. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll pick up some of that RMS Matte Sealer that Helltown mentioned. Hobby House won't have it, but my FLGS (plug for Fandom II in Ottawa) might...

Good luck, and cool mini BTW!

Kang

Aside from the P3 paint thing, maybe the Dullcote went on a bit thick? I've had that happen before. Let it dry for a day, then try a couple of really thin coats about 15 minutes apart.