Mini Cleaning

twjolson

Sometime ago, more then a year ago, I soaked my mini's in simple green and scrubbed them clean and rinsed them in water. I'm trying to get back into painting, and on pulling them out they look odd. They are dark, save for in some raised edges which shine a little. It definitely looks like they are covered in a film or tarnish. What do you recommend for cleaning them prior to priming?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a film - you will definately want to remove it. If it is tarnish...don't worry about it, they will be painted after all.

About the best thing that I have found (still) for cleaning minis to get film, mold release and other oils off is plain old Isopropyl alcohol (Ethyl works fine too). It gets rid of most of the stuff that you will find on a mini, and it is more or less harmless unless you expose yourself to it in large amounts for a long time. One of the nicest things though is that it dries almost immediately so you can easily check the surface.

A tip for this - wear disposable gloves while working and prime right after cleaning. Oils are the enemy of water based paints (not so much of an issue with enamels, lacquers and oils). By priming right after you get done cleaning, you will avoid getting any oils from your skin on the mini and it will give you a smoother primer coat that adheres much better.

I use cool water a little hand soap and a toothbrush....

I would be very hesitant to use hand soap. Most contain various conditioners which bring oil back into the mix. Dish washing detergent is a better choice - especially the non-scented ones.