Brush on Primer Recommendations

twjolson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Reaper MSP Brush On Primer. I haven't tried the black, but the white has worked well for me.

I've heard the Derivan MiNiS Brush On Primer works pretty well too, but I've never tried it. Comes in a much larger bottle. Unfortunately, only available in the States from Olde Rivertowne Miniatures (which has very good service).

I have tried Liquitex Gesso. That was a disaster. Detail covered up and the stuff comes off in large chunks pretty easily.

Ron

RMS black primer is great, RMS white primer stinks like the dickens (good primer .. bad smell), if you're looking to prime en masse though, you might consider going with spray on primer, of which i prefer the duplicolor sandable series which can be found at just about any auto parts store.

• Artists

I haven't noticed much of a smell with the RMS white, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to odors. (I have trouble using Tamiya clears cause the smell makes me light-headed and loads of people use those.) I use the white RMS the majority of the time. I'm pretty sure I've used the black once or twice, but don't recall for sure. I've also used the Derivan black brush-on. I don't know if it was an old batch or how the paint is made, but it was _very_ thick. Smooth and not at all chunky or dried out seeming, but I had to water it down a lot. The Derivan paint pot is a little bigger than the RMS bottle, and if it does tend to be made on the thick side that probably means more primer for the money in the end. On the other hand if you can go to a local store and buy the RMS primer and avoid shipping charges, that'll be cheaper in the end. I'm not sure if you're intending this to use in an airbrush since you mentioned priming en masse. I don't use one myself, so I can't comment on the primers' usefulness in that context.

If you have an airbrush the MSP (RMS whatever) primers work excellently in them. I prefer using them that way to a rattlecan primer. If you don't have an airbrush and have a lot to prime, I also would recommend the duplicolor unless you or the weather insist that you use a brush on. I've been happy with Reaper's brush on, though haven't used any other brush ons to compare with.

I have spray on primer, but being that I live and apartment, and it's winter and i have no decently heated place to spray it, I won't be using that until spring. I know where I can get Reapers primer, but I'm looking for something with bigger, more bang for the buck I suppose. Preferably Wal-mart or Michaels. I have some Hobby and gaming shops, but they are much farther away.

• Artists

I haven't tried this myself, but IIRC there was a 'cult of clear primer' going around a few years back of people using Glass and Tile Medium as a primer. That's a larger bottle and craft paint prices, if you don't mind having a colourless primer. Folkart makes this, Jo's might as well.

I've used RMS to prime several CAV miniatures, including two Emperor CAVs. [sarcasm] They're only slightly larger than your typical 28mm metal man.[/sarcasm] They don't need much by way of thinning, otherwise you'll spend all day trying to get an even coverage. Your bottle may be thicker/thinner than mine but try around 2 ~ 4 drops primer to 1 drop water or gunk.

You get more pro-paint brush on primer for your $ than RMS primer. Try a bottle of that. I have some and I like it. I've primed like 30+ minis with one bottle. Just thin it ever so slightly about 4 to 1, with 4 being the primer.

Working at Michaels, and having been a customer at several JoAnn's stores as well looking for mini stuff, I haven't met a brush on primer at any of those stores yet that was worth the cash I paid for it. Stick with the Pro-paint or MSP primer.

Yea, I don't think that the RMS will go the distance. I have 5 normal sized mini's I'd like to prime now, and I don't think that one bottle would go much beyond that, yes?

I've primed far more than 5 normal (man) sized minis with the MSP primer, and I still haven't emptied a bottle. Figure about 4-8 drops of primer per mini, several hundred drops per bottle.

Ron