Sign in to follow this  
Cryllia

Dark Elf Queen on Throne

...I've thinned my paints (using GW btw), but they're coming out 'splotchy' (have a 5/0 18/0 and 0000 brush that I'm using). Have I thinned them too much?...

Maybe, but another thing to consider might be that your largest brush is a 4/0 (AKA 0000). That's pretty small for basecoating. Many painters, from what I've read, use a #2 or #1 (or even a #0) for basecoats to avoid having the tiny amount of paint a multiple-0 brush holds from starting to dry out before it ever gets on the mini. Sometimes this can result in a more patchy-looking basecoat than might otherwise be achieved. This may not be the source of your particular problem, but it is another factor to keep in mind. The brushes you've mentioned should be great for tiny details, assuming they can hold a sharp point. I used to do everything with multiple-zero brushes too, and I can tell you that I was very happy when I switched to a #1. Of course, it's hard not to be happy with a new W&N series 7 brush, regardless of its size... :poke:

Don't get me wrong; it's certainly possible to achieve good results using only tiny brushes; it's just that using them for basecoating large areas (IMO) increases the potential for frustration. From the pix you've posted so far, it seems to be coming out fine; I mention your brush sizes only as something to keep in mind - aside from just having fun painting, the most important thing is that you're comfortable with the gear you use.

Good luck!

Kang

prim--that's an interesting idea . . . though if you don't have a pearlizing medium handy you can paint up the throne and then give it a glaze of metallic paint of some shade to help give it some sparkle.

Never thought of that - I'll have to try that sometime as well.

I used to do everything with multiple-zero brushes too, and I can tell you that I was very happy when I switched to a #1. Of course, it's hard not to be happy with a new W&N series 7 brush, regardless of its size... :poke:

ayup! I just use a W&N Series 7 Miniature 1 for everything. Basecoats and details. I have a 2/0 and 3/0 brush as well as a 0 but nothing holds a point like my 1. The point is tiny yet there's enough body to the bristles that it can hold a decent amount of paint. I do also have Standard 2 for larger areas.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Prim - love the idea! I don't have any though. I intended to varnish the throne in gloss though, so maybe that will help with the illusion. We'll see.

fieldarchy - I was planning on using the dark brown paint that I have (thinned, of course) to line with. I don't want to use black and make it too cartoony, but a little cartoon isn't a bad thing. Heh! I'm working on it. I can't believe my camera is so out of date :upside: Oh well.

mattmcl - *nods* I was a little low on light at the time. I've tried again today (when it isn't a pallid color of grey outside) and they came out a little better - not great, but a little better (see bottom of post). I'll definitely keep this in mind for further pictures.

Kang - *nods* I do have a one, I'm just not sure that I have good enough brush control to use it yet. I'll give it a go on the next mini though and see what happens. :rock: When I look at them, the 0000 is the smallest of the bunch? It is a W&N, but the others aren't - ragtag team of brushes here - heh... :blush:

Kang - *nods* I do have a one, I'm just not sure that I have good enough brush control to use it yet. I'll give it a go on the next mini though and see what happens. :rock: When I look at them, the 0000 is the smallest of the bunch? It is a W&N, but the others aren't - ragtag team of brushes here - heh... :blush:

I just read a post within the past couple of days where someone mentioned the "standard" sizes aren't standard across different companies - one company's 0 is the same as another's 1, or what have you. It would seem that this is true.

When you're using a slightly larger brush than you're used to, assuming it has a good point on it, the trick (well, one of them) is to get used to how much paint you need in the brush to strike that fine balance bewteen having to re-dip it too often, and accidentally flooding your mini with the excess. It does take some practice - only just starting to get used to it myself. Like I said though, as long as you are comfortable with the gear you're currently using...

Kang

Took a look - none of my 1's have a decent point on them! Oh well <_<

I suppose it would also help if I actually attached the new pictures, huh? The face still isn't great in the picture (she doesn't look near that deranged irl), but its better than it was...

post-4434-1195840499.jpg

post-4434-1195840507.jpg

Personally I don't notice much of a difference between using pure black, walnut or brown liner in terms of cartooniness. Maybe I'm just dense but they are so dark that it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference for me. ::):

Fair enough, I guess we'll see what happens ^_^ I'm not sure I'm happy with the skin, but I think it's looking pretty good as a whole - a bit messy. Who knew this model had so many nooks and crannies?! The ones I'm doing for Christmas are all in a standing position of some type - so that should make it easier. I also added the gold on, and attempted eyes on her, but the skull in hand is kind of obscuring the left eye.

post-4434-1195850653.jpg post-4434-1195850689.jpg

post-4434-1195850664.jpg

post-4434-1195850672.jpg

post-4434-1195850679.jpg

yeah it's really too hard to see and give a good critique though. even the colors look like they may be distorted a little bit. If you can get your hands on a different camera and get better pictures up I would be happy to nit pick.

Hi!!! :ph34r:

I know its been a while since I've posted, but Santa listened to me! I now have a camera that I think is worthy of doing the job. I'm still futzing with it (reading the manual and all), but one I get it figured out I'll repost the pictures of the elf and get cracking hard core on the D&D group mini's (I have until the 19th - lol).

much better but play with your white balance a bit. It looks a little off. Anyway, definitely take a look at your photo and try to fix any flaws with the paint job you may be able to spot. This really helps and is often the reason why I do WIP photos when I paint.