Sign in to follow this  
murakumo

GW Slann Mage Priest among others

I started a Lizardman army today.... and the best place to start I thought would be with the unit that drew me to the scalies in the first place... the Slann Mage Priest.

this is what I have done tonight... mostly base color works... this priest will most likely be one of my longest projects.. .I spent two hours on the base coating alone.

I plan to post more pics as I go along... albeit I doubt my pathetic skills will help anyone o_0

post-4311-1195198031_thumb.jpg

Mage priest front

post-4311-1195198078_thumb.jpg

Mage priest side

post-4311-1195198113_thumb.jpg

Palanquin front

post-4311-1195198156_thumb.jpg

Glyph detail

These other items are my more normal work on reaper miniatures. I am pretty proud of their development so far.

post-4311-1195198224_thumb.jpg

D'Khul Balthalian mage.

post-4311-1195198296_thumb.jpg

Back

post-4311-1195198332_thumb.jpg

D'Khul's base

post-4311-1195198393_thumb.jpg

Plague Harbinger

post-4311-1195198439_thumb.jpg

detail shot of Harbinger

And last but not least... just for spike....

Orcy goodness

post-4311-1195198492_thumb.jpg

sorry for the pic heavy post....

Wes.

P.S. any help you guys could give me on any of these would be much appreciated.

Only because I have painted the Slann Mage before.

Please take your time on this one. And when I mean take your time, I mean, this model will require probably 20 hours just to get it to semi done status. There is far far more detail on the throne than you think and if done right it is a very nice model. The frog itself is fairly plain, but the good news here is that you have a frog here... look around on the internet and see what colors are decent for frogs. Washes will be your friend here, just make sure when your laying down paint your putting it precisely where you want it, and you know why you want it there.

Good luck

Yeah I am planning on at least 20-30 hours for the mage priest... I have only done the bare basic blocking in at this point. I went through earlier today and blocked out the many many many many vines that surround the throne along with the gold leaf.

I need to ditch my GW shinning gold since it's starting to get the... .odd semll... and try and find a goos RMS equivalent.

As for the frog I have already blocked out his skin pattern for what i wanted... it's done in a mix of green and brown as the base and purple strips along the forehead and back and some small spots along his stomach and limbs. This all took me about four hours or so in between last night and today and again its the bare minimum of base coats... the next step will probably be a shadow wash over the frog boy and more detail work on base coating the throne.

post-4311-1195258630_thumb.jpg

front of priest

post-4311-1195258672_thumb.jpg

side

post-4311-1195258707_thumb.jpg

very dark throne shot >.>

post-4311-1195258739_thumb.jpg

glyph detail

post-4311-1195258767_thumb.jpg

Bottom... aka the frog eggs of POWER!!!

I hit the seven hour mark tonight on the Mage priest himself.

I am focusing on the priest at first because I know the palanquin will take much more time and skill so i want to have frog butt done long before I finish his massive seat.

so far he is at what i would like to call "half done" stage. His base coats and markings are all laid out... and he has been given the main shadow layers. Now I need to work on the highlights which will be tomorrows job.

post-4311-1195278298_thumb.jpg

side detail... notice that the lips, gills and eyes have been base highlighted with red.

post-4311-1195278535_thumb.jpg

front detail.

as always any comments are appreciated... in case your wondering the finished project will have brighter green shades on the top of the head and his cheeks with shaded green covering the rest of him along with his purple spots (which will be brought up in shades considerably)

The obese toad is coming along quite well. Only suggestion I have is tighten up on the brush control a little bit. Of course this is the pot calling the kettle black.

He's at about 80% by now.. I added several coats since the last post, including a shadow coat, and then several highlights.

The main problem I now notice in the close up pics is that he has some spots where the primer didn't hit... which means I now have to try and go back and apply some RMS primer.... I am unsure how to do that with a figure thats painted though... whether or not it's just going to destroy everything I have already done.... and seeing as this has to be one of the better pieces I have done I really don;t want to ruin him.

post-4311-1195368762_thumb.jpg

facial shot

post-4311-1195368877_thumb.jpg

side

post-4311-1195368921_thumb.jpg

tummy detail

post-4311-1195368963_thumb.jpg

Flash on... this makes the metal peeking through glaringly obvious.

Wes

The skin is coming along well - he is looking fat, bloated, mottled, and evil! Sounds like you already noticed the areas where you need to clean up the metallics.

It's not that those spots were missed with primer, but more likely the paint rubbed off while you were working elsewhere on the mini. Use a steady hand and just enough primer to cover the spots and touch them up with your paint. Hitting a mini with a thin layer of the matte sealer of your choice every so often helps reduce this happening. Doing this is often called "hitting the save button".

SQIEEEE! You're painting that ADORABLE half-orc! :wub: I like that purple you're using. It goes so nicley with greeeeeen.

Whew I don't envy you having to paint that throne. Lord W is right..there's TOO many details on that thing, but if you take the time to paint them carefully I bet the results will be worth the hassle.

And yes, you can prime over spots you've missed even after you have begun painting. I had to do it a time or two on the orc I sent you last month. Also, if you ever goof up while using metallics, a teeny dab of primer is just about the best thing in the world for covering the mistake over. Otherwise you'll NEVER be able to paint over the metallic without the gold shining straight through.

Also, if you decide you like RMS metallics, check out their bronze triad. There is also a very nice bright copper colour in the ProPaint series..but I warn you it starts out reeeally thick.

Hey! I've been working on D'Khul Balthalian too, for a while now. Haven't been tallying up the total hours I've spent or anything (not a bad idea though), but it's been going on a month or 2, whenever I get a chance to paint - which is maybe a couple hours per week on a good week. Not too many photos of this guy painted on the net, I've noticed, though there are a few out there - sometimes I find other people's paint jobs help me identify details I'm not 100% clear on what they are supposed to be.

Your pic of his feet is the best one you posted of D'Khul; the others are a little blurry or faded or something. From what I can tell, it looks like you did a decent enough job shading/highlighting his robe. If you post some clearer shots you might get more useful feedback on that piece. Those macro shots can be a real b$#*%, can't they?

Since I'm done painting mine and am really just so tired of wrestling with my first can of Testors Dullcote to get it to stop making the mini more glossy with each coat (so many people online say it gives such a perfectly flat matte finish - I just don't get it?!?), I'm going to call mine finished and try and get a shot or 2 of it up on the Show Off page sometime this week if I can get my old camera to be nice to me - my 18 month-old son broke the newer, better one on Hallowe'en by slapping it out of my wife's hand onto the hardwood as she attempted to photograph him in his pirate costume...

edit - still glossy as heck, so I posted my pix in WIP instead, here.

Kang

Thank you all for your helpful replies, both here and in the painting help section.

I don;t know exactly what went wrong here but tonight as I tried to finish the miniature (I have been doing frequent light washes with RMS finisher) I found about ten spots where all of the paint layers suddenly just disappeared revealing fresh metal underneath... I applied emergency spots of primer, new paint coats and new finishing coats. I then took the miniature and since ti was at the near complete stage I decided to do the last purple highlight (RMS amtheyist) and then applied FOUR coats of finishers (Two 'ardcoat layers and one RMS finisher coat in between followed by a spray coating of armory dull coat.)

So here he is.. .all nice and painted and wonderfully demonic....

Notes about this particular slane mage priest

I wanted to add a bit of character to him so I decided to paint a slight milky looking film over the left eye of the mage. This makes him look like he has slight cataracts. You can still see a bit of the red eye coat shining through.

The great and almighty 2nd generation Slane mage priest; Lord Duncair the first.

post-4311-1195632345_thumb.jpg

post-4311-1195632401_thumb.jpg

post-4311-1195632439_thumb.jpg

cataract image

post-4311-1195632482_thumb.jpg

The next major development is the palanquin which I have been slowly updating. I changed the base color of the stone form the dull gray color I had before to a dusty brown color.

I've had the same thing happen with paint on a model before. Sometimes no matter how well you prime, the primer just refuses to take hold in one particular spot. My gut-feeling is that it has to do with some impurity such as oil from the mould or even oil from my own hands..so it's important to clean a new mini well before priming, then dry and prime it right after.

But what I reeeally wanna see.... is more of that cutie-pie with the orc double axe. Come on.. let's see the beefcake!

Alrighty.. .you might have noticed that this post has slacked off for a bit... the problem is I am waiting on several shades of gold paint to make it to my home so I can finish my Palanquin.

While waiting however I decided to focus on something else.... my local gaming shop has tables for players to use for war hammer tournaments... however most of them are 40K tourneys.... in order to try and drum up some more fantasy players I decided one thing I could do is create a massive piece of Lizard men scenery. The piece is currently about 1/3rd completed, with the first three floors being mostly in place.

post-4311-1196033693_thumb.jpg

temple side

post-4311-1196033723_thumb.jpg

temple front

post-4311-1196033754_thumb.jpg

Lizard men core unit

I like that scenery you're doing. I get the feeling that you would really enjoy using the HirstArts system. The stuff is really cusomizable and a lot of fun to paint.

but dude.... I ain't forgot about that half-orc. You're holding out on me. Come on..give us a li'l taste.. please? :wub:

2/3rds done... the palanquin and the froggy himself are both done... now I just need to finish the base job.

post-4311-1197092470_thumb.jpg

Side with mage

post-4311-1197092508_thumb.jpg

front with mage

post-4311-1197092577_thumb.jpg

Front without mage

post-4311-1197092657_thumb.jpg

Back

post-4311-1197092697_thumb.jpg

Back and side of Palanquin

Wes