Waterslide Decals

dewen

I have some FPG decals to apply to finished painted CAV models. I paint with Vallejo Model, Game, and MSP paint, seal with acrylic gloss (Krylon Krystal Clear), let the gloss dry, and then followup with Testors Dull Cote. After what step should the decal be applied (1 Paint 2 Gloss 3 Matte)? Should I use something like Testors Decal Set before applying the decal? After the decals dry, what do you recommend I coat the decal with?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always put decals over gloss. Putting decals over matte or semi-gloss can result in trapped air bubbles turning everything white (this is refered to as "silvering").

The decal setting solutions are a good idea, and there are several good brands.

After decal has completely dried, then it is DullCote time.

Microscale set & sol (blue(set) & red(sol) bottles) are some of the best products out there, makes the Testor's stuff feel like applying plain water.

Set is your general purpose stuff, brush a little bit on, apply your decal, it gives you time to set your decal, move it around & Sol is good for stuff that has oddball curves, etc. Sol is stronger then Set & after you use Sol, don't touch the decal, so apply that as the last bit, it'll work itself into the cracks, whatever your applying over.

I use this stuff all the time, or did when I was into my nascar modelling (a requirement for the body schemes decals).

& even a stronger solution is Walther's Solvaset, it's stronger then Sol, but it basically the same stuff.

RM

Normally I follow the decals with a gloss coat too. Just seems to help keep them locked down nice and tight better than the matte sealers do.

Also, keep in mind not all decals are created equally. A lot of the miniatures related decals are a bit on the thick side compared to those that are sold for use with scale models.

I've been told that spraying dullcote directly onto a decal will make it dissolve. I've also heard if you don't let it dry completely, the aersol can dislodge the decal! I usually followup a decal with a layer or two of brush-on gloss before I apply dullcote to the model.

I also use micro-set and sol. Don't spill them on your paint table, the room will smell awful for days..;P

/ali

Re: wrinkling under Dullcote: that depends on the decal. Some do; some don't. Sometimes I forget to seal the decaal, and have sprayed a dullcote over it with no adverse effects. Like anything, experiment.

Some small time decal manufacturers actually use dullcote to seal the decals on the paper anyway...

Damon.