Can I still use my rulebook?

Maleko

I have the 2004 copyrighted book of Warlord, and since the errata and data cards have been updated greatly, how useful is my book now? I understand that the point values are different not, but are the rules all the same (excluding the skills and spells). Also, how have the templates in the back of the book different? Can we still make our custom cards?

I guess I asked more than two... :blush:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The book still contains the current set of rules. The have only been two actual rules changes (support capped at +3 and there's no longer the +2 CP for friendly spells), the rest is SA's, upgrades and datacard changes. So yeah it's still useful.

The generic cards are no longer consistent with the rest of the data cards and are thus no longer useful. A lot has changed with the data cards for example most grunts now have 2 or more damage tracks.

Whew! Yeah, those changes are quite minor.

I'm not talking about the cards that come with your miniatures, I'm talking about the templates in the book where you can make your own cards. They give you like a warrior template, and wizard template, some behemoth templates, etc. On a seperate page before them, you can add in all the SAs and upgrade their stats via point costs (and these upgrade are not the weapon/armor upgrades). Do those will work, or does the errata tweek the rules a bit so one can continue the creation of fresh characters? Perhaps I should just look at the errata more closely...

The Generic cards and templates found in the first printing of the Warlord Core Rulebook are no longer really compatible with the current Rage Chronicles 2007 version. You can still use them, heck you can still use the old data cards and stuff if you want, you will just no longer be playing the current legal version.

The generics and templates were included more for use in scenarios and things, rather than to develop new armies. And as Vejlin indicated, because of changes to the data cards (grunts having multiple tracks, significant changes to model costs, special abilities, etc) they would still function using them with RC2007, but they wouldn't function really well. Like trying to play a brand new computer game on a system with a 4 year old video card and processor. It will probably technically work, but would it go well, not so likely.

Generic cards were removed from the 2nd printing of the Warlord Core rulebook and were not included in RC2007 as well.

Edited by Qwyksilver

I "played" through my first game. I have the Dwarf and Necropolis starter armies and had my friends pit against each other as I explained the rules. It was funny because they changed their formations at least 5 times before they advanced in combat. My friend made use of Malek's Fireball spell (err....spells :) ) and there was much destruction. Good times.

Since the generic list didn't have faction SA's I think it's fair to compare it to a Freelance army. How many cards are in the Freelance army now? I agree that whatever it is you want to model, that could be modeled with the old templates and datacards can now be found ready made in some factions cards.

I thought it would be cool to make like a dragon or a powered up mob of the sort and pit an army against while trying to obtain an equality of power between the opponents. If I were to make a 1000 point dragon, one 1000 point army would make short work of the dragon (if my assumptions on the flaws are correct).

Sounds like a very special scenario. I wouldn't bother too much about points in that case and just come up with something instead and test it out a few times to tweak it until it works and there's balance.

I believe Vince (Shakandara) has a dragon that he designed to go up against approx 1500 points for his dungeon crawl.