Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Testors Dullcote going on glossy - why?!?

After seeing the pics of the mini in question, I'm wondering if you might have a can of Glosscote with the wrong label. I don't think there's really a way to tell the difference, and they both smell the same.

I'd suggest trying a different can of Dullcote, bought from a different place if possible, just in case..

Wouldn't that be just my luck, to have a can so badly mislabeled as to have the exact opposite effect of what is should... And here I am, adding more and more of the stuff! I am hoping that a thin layer of gloss then another thin layer of Dullcote, as described above, will do the trick; but if it doesn't, I may just try to find another can. Took me several years to track this one down though, so I am not too hopeful of finding another local store that carries it. I think it might even have been the only can the store where I found it had; maybe they'll have ordered more.

If it doesn't work, and I can't find another can, I still have a spray can of DecoArt acrylic matte that works ok, though it's still just a touch on the satiny side for my liking. I am under the impression that Dullcote should be both flatter and more durable (though I may be wrong about the durability), and so I haven't yet given up.

Kang

Yeah, my friends swear but testors dull coat. I think you got a bad or mislabled can. Testors is the best stuff you can get soooooo....anyways, good luck. At least it didn't ruin the paintjob!

a

You're not the only one who's had this problem, Kang. And the only real solution is to get a different can. Michael's carries Dullcote as part of it's Testors model enamels, but I'm not sure where else does.

After seeing the pics of the mini in question, I'm wondering if you might have a can of Glosscote with the wrong label. I don't think there's really a way to tell the difference, and they both smell the same.

I'd suggest trying a different can of Dullcote, bought from a different place if possible, just in case..

Wouldn't that be just my luck, to have a can so badly mislabeled as to have the exact opposite effect of what is should... And here I am, adding more and more of the stuff! I am hoping that a thin layer of gloss then another thin layer of Dullcote, as described above, will do the trick; but if it doesn't, I may just try to find another can. Took me several years to track this one down though, so I am not too hopeful of finding another local store that carries it. I think it might even have been the only can the store where I found it had; maybe they'll have ordered more.

If it doesn't work, and I can't find another can, I still have a spray can of DecoArt acrylic matte that works ok, though it's still just a touch on the satiny side for my liking. I am under the impression that Dullcote should be both flatter and more durable (though I may be wrong about the durability), and so I haven't yet given up.

Kang

If you're in Ottawa, have you tried Hobby House? (Or is that where you managed to find it?)

Hey Kang, look at the bottom of your can. There are 2 lines of numbers and letters. The second group on the first line looks to be the part number, which on all my cans of Dullcote reads 1260A. Glosscote's part number will read 1261A. Maybe that'll show if it's the wrong stuff in the can.

Kang -do NOT spray any more from that can. There is something wrong with it.

I agree that the mislabeled gloss coat theory is the most plausible.

Also, what do you consider the "right" temperature and humidity? I would be very surprised if Ottawa was within parameters right now.

If you're in Ottawa, have you tried Hobby House? (Or is that where you managed to find it?)
That is where I finally found the stuff, yes. Your profile says 'location unknown' but I take it you're from somewhere around here?
Hey Kang, look at the bottom of your can. There are 2 lines of numbers and letters. The second group on the first line looks to be the part number, which on all my cans of Dullcote reads 1260A. Glosscote's part number will read 1261A. Maybe that'll show if it's the wrong stuff in the can.
I know the sticker on the top of the cap and the label on the can itself say "no. 1260", but from what you say that should be expected if the can were mislabeled. I'll take a look on the bottom tonight to see if the number there matches. Thanks!
Kang -do NOT spray any more from that can. There is something wrong with it.

I agree that the mislabeled gloss coat theory is the most plausible.

Also, what do you consider the "right" temperature and humidity? I would be very surprised if Ottawa was within parameters right now.

When it gets dry in my house, as it tends to do in the winter (which, if the snow on the ground is any indication, seems to be beginning here), my shins get itchy and I end up scratching half the skin off them. Since I have raw, skinless shins right now, I consider the humidity to be acceptably low. Been spraying in my basement, in which the floor gets damp in any kind of humid weather - it's also dry, and the air down there is only a little bit cooler than normal room temperature. So I think I'm OK for environmental conditions.

I have a new theory of what went wrong though - I was beginning to assume it was Glosscote in a Dullcote can as has been suggested, after more gloss followed by another light spray of Dull still came out glossy. Giving up on Dullcote for the moment, I gave it a shot of my old can of Krylon Matte and that seemed to kill most of the shine half decently. But I still wanted to figure out for sure what had gone wrong. So I took my 3 cans of matte spray: Dullcote (my newest can), DecoArt acrylic (bought when I couldn't find Dullcote, then found it after all a few days later), and Krylon latex. I took the plastic from 3 Reaper blister packs, wrote a name of one can on each in marker, then sprayed them all with the brand they I'd labeled them with. The Dullcote came out the flattest! Krylon, on the other hand, came out somewhat matte but really splotchy looking. DecoArt was in between the other 2 for flatness but was the most opaque. So I don't think it's Glosscote mislabeled. The gloss spray I had underneath on the mini is DecoArt, and I got to wondering if maybe Dullcote just didn't like sitting on top of this stuff. Krylon Matte seemed to work fine over DecoArt gloss, so I tried a bit of dullcote over top of the blister with the Krylon - it took away the blotchiness and reduced the remaining shine the Krylon hadn't quite killed. So after the Krylon dried on the mini, I hit it very sparingly one final time with the Dullcote - it seemed to improve things a bit more. So I think maybe that was the problem: Dullcote over DecoArt acrylic gloss = shine. I haven't done a blister pack test with that combination yet to prove it though, so don't quote me on it.

Anyhow, although there is still a little shine on the mini's cape, I'm gonna stop my quest for matte-ness at this point and go back to re-gloss a couple of sections that are actually supposed to be shiny, and call it done.

So thanks for all the help and advice, everyone. If I ever do the experiment with the Dullcote over DecoArt gloss, I'll add the results to this thread. I might add a few pix to my WiP thread to show the weekend's improvement if I get a chance. Either way, it should end up on the Show Off page before long.

Kang

I don't know, I have yet to see a bad can of spray paint - I am sure it happens, but it is highly unlikely just due to the way aerosols are canned versus other paints.

With most matte finishes in a spray form, there are severe issues related to the matting agent settling to the bottom of the can. Compared to paint pigments, they sink like rocks - and due to their shape...they tend to get wedged in pretty well. If you tap the bottom of a well shaken rattle can (near the edge of the bottom not the center) it should sound the same as tapping the can on the side. If it doesn't have the same ring (close to it) to it as the side of the can does - shake some more. The particulate in the can deadens the ring...when it is free floating, everything sounds close to the same.

When I am using rattle cans (quite often) I shake the can for a good minute or so. After that, I set them down in a bowl of warm water from the faucet for 5-10 minutes. Following that, I shake it again for a minute or so and set it upside down on the work bench. Once I am ready to actually use them, I shake the paints for another good minute or so and start working. If I need to use it for more than 15 seconds (normally not...though it does happen) I shake it again every 15 seconds of use for another 30 seconds. Makes for some bad tennis elbow, but other than defective nozzles I have never had a problem with rattle can paints. Sometimes they don't look quite how I want them too...but normally that is repeatable every time and is just a result of the paint/clear coat not doing what I want it to do. Right now I am thinking about getting one of those electric martini shakers and seeing whether I can get a spray can to stay in place on it...

If you spray from the can before it is shaken up well enough, the can of paint can become useless (think about trying to make a glass of Kool Aid with only half the water you should have). Spraying over anything shouldn't matter as long as the bottom coat is dry - if the bottom isn't quite dry, it can lead to interesting outcomes.

Well, it's all fixed up now anyhow, so maybe the whole thing is moot (unless some poor soul finds this happening to them too and gets anything useful out of this thread - I sure have). I shook it like mad. I used the hot tapwater. I made sure to let previous coats dry, and not just to the touch but for up to 24 hours. I did everything people here suggested plus a few tricks I picked up on other sites. The only conditions that changed between Dullcote layers that went on glossy and the one that went on Matte were my level of frustration and that the former were all sprayed on top of DecoArt Gloss while the latter went on over Krylon Matte. The only suggested theory of why this happened to me that hasn't yet been refuted is that DecoArt Gloss + Dullcote = shine, but like I said I may do another blister pack experiment with these 2 tonight and come back later to post the results, for the sake of completeness. But I agree - the layer beneath shouldn't matter. Kind of like I shouldn't get paid so little, and my neighbour shouldn't expect me to mow my lawn before the grass is at least a foot long. :lol:

Well, who knows. I half expect to discover it wasn't the layer of DecoArt Gloss is I ever test it out.

Thanks for the tip about tapping the bottom and side of the can to check if it's mixed up well; I'll remember that one for sure.

Kang

PS. I did end up updating my WiP thread with a few more pictures, if anyone's interested in seeing the improvement. It's linked in my previous post.