Master Paint Series

Corruptor

I'm making a rack to store the paints on before I stock up, the whole OCD thing kicking in, and I cant seem to find/figure out how tall the bottles are without actually ordering any of the paints. And I dont want to order just one paint when I plan on getting an entire set at once. Anyone?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realizing that you are OCD about this but I would highly recommend not buying the entire line of Reaper Master Paints unless you have used them before and are comfortable painting with them. I'm having bad flashbacks.

Yeah, no kidding. I remember that guy... bought the entire line sight unseen (even though many people strongly urged him not to) and then was unhappy with the paints. IIRC, Reaper was very noble and made some sort of arrangement to help the guy out in the end, but that was above and beyond the call of duty considering that there was nothing wrong with the paints themselves, he just decided he "didn't like them". You really need to try them out before committing yourself to the entire line. Make sure that they will work well with your individual style of painting. Try a few of the liners and some other basic colors. Most people slowly amass their stash.

Aside from the obvious don't spend hundreds of dollars on something that you're not sure you like, buy some empty bottles. They will give you what you need and you can use them later for mixing paints, making goop, or whatever.

Oh, and at the very least borrow someone elses or head to a Paint n' Take before making the investment...

I agree with the others, if you haven't already tried the paints, do so before you buy the whole set.

My advice would be, look at which, say, 2 or 3 colours you use the most in your current paint collection.

Pick up the closest equivalent triad for each one, then paint a few minis.

I also agree on trying out at least one liner (I'd say brown or grey).

Now, from here, if you like the paints, you can still order the entire set at once, and now, you'll have duplicates of the colours that you use the most (which, IMO, is a good thing), and if you don't like it, you're only out a little bit of cash, and you'll only have 6-10 bottles of paint that you will have to figure out what to do with.

That's sorta how I got into MSP's. I was running out of my beloved, but ancient Ral Partha (yes, I was still using those when MSPs came out) dragonscale blue, and I wanted something that was fairly close, and I wanted to try these new paints, so I picked up the MSP Grey Blues triad.

I wasn't too sure at first, so I picked the next colour that was starting to go on me (all of my fleshtones were getting dry), and picked up the tanned skin triad - that was the one that made me fall in love with the paints.

But of course, if you have tried the paints and love them, please disregard this message entirely :upside:

Thanks, all of you. I hate to say it but in the past I used Citadel paints for minis since WH was big at the gamestore and reaper practically unheard of. I have used MSP a couple times before and prefer them so much more than any of the craft paints I've ever used. And the fact reaper went so over and above makes me want to give them My money that much more...that and being a few hours south of HQ.

I really agree with the posters that recommend buying a few of the MSP and giving them a go before committing to the whole kit and kaboodle.If you're used to using GW paints you will find that the MSP's behave quite differently and will require a shift in your painting habits.

Thanks both of you, but like I've said I've used MSP before and prefer it....and I didnt say all the paints but a set of the basics so I can mix most if not all the colours I know I'll use. Plus mixing colours I'll use alot doulc cost more in the end than buying the colour outright.