Sign in to follow this  
Rastl

Olive skin tones?

So I've got all the skin triads. I've even done skin tones using combinations of them. But for the life of me I can't figure out what to do for an olive skin tone.

No, not olive green. I can handle that one.

I've got some figures that require the Mediterranean skin tones and I'm just not sure if any of the triads are going to fit the bill.

Suggestions?

I usually just use the tanned flesh triad with a dash of intense brown to give it a richer look. If that doesn't work for you try the golden maybe with a dab of a mossy looking green. Just a little bit. That may give you the more green brown look of mediterranean skin as opposed to a red brown.

The pirate ladies I did a while back I did one with the golden triad and one with the tanned, if you want to check out the differences of how it looks on the model.

I tend to go a bit darker...not much though.

As opposed to using the tanned triad straight away, I like to use the Tanned Shadow as my base, the Tanned skin as my highlight and then for the shading, I'll use something like earth brown which has been made into a glaze.

Mediterranean/Olive is a pretty broad range though. You might want to look for photos that match what you are looking to do and work from there.

I've used RMS Troll Shadow and Gnoll Brown to shade the traditional skintones. Ended up looking very much like a college friends skintone. IIRC her parents were Greek and Lebanese. In other words, using a real green olive color as an undercoat actually can give you a good result.

Rgds,

Underpaint the flesh areas with an olive green ( your choice of several in the RMS line), then apply the tanned flesh triad per usual. It was good enough for Rembrandt, its good enough for me. ::):

I tried using Uniform Brown as the undercoat and it seems to be looking quite nice. Single coat of thinned uniform brown and then the tanned skin triad.

I'll post piccies when I get some decent lighting.