Do the eBay feed back ratings mean anything any more?

kristof65

I'm not big into ebay, but I buy or sell the occasional trinket from time to time.

I'm not a dropshipper, and I don't own a business. I sometimes find an old piece of gaming lore that I don't have room for after buying new stuff, so I put it on ebay. The last thing I sold had me more nervous than an occasional seller should be. The buyer paid promptly through paypal, so things look good. Then I find that paypal is going to "hold" the payment for 21 days, or until the buyer leaves me positive feedback, or delivery confirmation is made. If the buyer claims he never got the item, then I never get the money.

The auction ended on a Sunday, and I shipped the item on Monday morning. Then I spent two weeks waiting to get feedback so I could at least get my money out of paypal jail. During that time I start to get nervous. What if he claims he didn't get the item? I'm out a large chunk of money plus the item that was worth that large chunk of money in the first place.

It works out in the end, and the buyer leaves me positive feedback so paypal will allow me to have the money he paid, but I didn't get the feedback until almost a week after USPS confirmed the delivery. I was sweating during the time I knew the item had been delivered and the time he go around to giving feedback so I'd know that everything was OK.

I just got a bad vibe as a seller, and I don't really feel comfortable doing it again. I deal with thugs and criminals on a daily basis, and while the vast majority of bidders on ebay are probably upstanding citizens, the unscrupulous predators out there make me wary. Now that I can't even leave negative feedback for someone who claims they didn't get the item(what does delivery conformation really mean after all), I think I'd rather sell my treasures on message boards where I can at least recognize the screen names.

I'm no great loss to ebay though. I've probably only sold 5 to 10 things in the last three years. ::):

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch aegis - if it's gotten like that, maybe I don't want to sell any more on ebay. It's been a year since I have (and since I originally posted this, BTW).

I know that over on theminiaturespage.com, there was some talk about how bad ebay has become for the hobby, and some direction to a a new, hobby oriented auction site.

I'm not big into ebay, but I buy or sell the occasional trinket from time to time.

I'm not a dropshipper, and I don't own a business. I sometimes find an old piece of gaming lore that I don't have room for after buying new stuff, so I put it on ebay. The last thing I sold had me more nervous than an occasional seller should be. The buyer paid promptly through paypal, so things look good. Then I find that paypal is going to "hold" the payment for 21 days, or until the buyer leaves me positive feedback, or delivery confirmation is made. If the buyer claims he never got the item, then I never get the money.

The auction ended on a Sunday, and I shipped the item on Monday morning. Then I spent two weeks waiting to get feedback so I could at least get my money out of paypal jail. During that time I start to get nervous. What if he claims he didn't get the item? I'm out a large chunk of money plus the item that was worth that large chunk of money in the first place.

It works out in the end, and the buyer leaves me positive feedback so paypal will allow me to have the money he paid, but I didn't get the feedback until almost a week after USPS confirmed the delivery. I was sweating during the time I knew the item had been delivered and the time he go around to giving feedback so I'd know that everything was OK.

I just got a bad vibe as a seller, and I don't really feel comfortable doing it again. I deal with thugs and criminals on a daily basis, and while the vast majority of bidders on ebay are probably upstanding citizens, the unscrupulous predators out there make me wary. Now that I can't even leave negative feedback for someone who claims they didn't get the item(what does delivery conformation really mean after all), I think I'd rather sell my treasures on message boards where I can at least recognize the screen names.

I'm no great loss to ebay though. I've probably only sold 5 to 10 things in the last three years. ::):

I have never had anything like that happen to me in over 1100 auctions on ebay. I'm not even sure how they can make that stipulation in paypal. I'm going to have look into that, it almost seems illegal.

The relevent section from Paypal:

Safer Payments is aimed at increasing buyers’ use of eBay by making safe, familiar payment methods more widely available. By doing this, it is less likely that buyers will experience fraud or unresponsive sellers, and more likely that if they do they will have recourse to fix any issues or problems that may arise. So, that’s why this week the following changes have gone into effect on eBay in the US:

1. Sellers or items that meet one or more of the following conditions will be required to offer PayPal or a major credit card.

the seller has higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates

the seller has less than 100 feedback [This doesn't mean 100% feedback rating its refering to how much feedback you have received]

the items are listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints, including: Gift Certificates, Video Games, Cell Phones, Computers and Consumer Electronics

2. To protect buyers in the very small percentage of situations where eBay and PayPal believe that a transaction is likely to result in a dissatisfied buyer, PayPal will delay the release of funds to a seller for up to 21 days. The funds will appear in the seller’s account as pending and will be released if there is no dispute filed by a buyer within 21 days. The funds may be released earlier if the buyer leaves positive feedback, or if PayPal can confirm delivery of the item.

And the relevent section from EBay

Since January 2007, all new sellers have been required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a payment option to their buyers. On March 17, this policy will be expanded to sellers or items when they meet one or more of the following conditions:

the seller has higher than 5% buyer dissatisfaction rates

the seller has less than 100 feedback

the items are listed in categories with higher rates of buyer complaints, including: Gift Certificates, Video Games, Cell Phones, Computers and Consumer Electronics.

In addition, for a small number of transactions that have a higher risk of buyer dissatisfaction, we may delay the release of funds paid through PayPal. This hold will be placed on only a small percentage of transactions for up to 21 days. Then the funds will be released if there is no dispute. The funds may be released earlier if the buyer leaves positive feedback, or if PayPal can confirm delivery of the item. Sellers enrolled in the PayPal Money Market Fund will earn interest on any pending funds in their PayPal accounts.

Your payments will not be held if you meet the following requirements:

You have been an eBay member for 6 months or more, and

Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and

Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%.

Or

Your average DSR is 4.5 or greater and

Your have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12 months.

I know that there have been questions among our Community about payment holds. Monroe Labouisse, my colleague at PayPal, explains holds in further detail on his post to the PayPal blog – I definitely encourage you to read it.

I haven't encountered this in my transactions because my numbers exceed all the limits they have set.

Thanks for the data mining. ::): My paypal fu is weak.

I guess that means that the reason for the "paypal money jail" in my situation is because I'm a casual seller. If I was a more prolific seller I wouldn't have to wait for the 21 days, or the positive feedback, or paypal's confirmation of delivery. I think my ebay score is in the 80's.

Any idea how paypal confirms delivery? I had USPS delivery confirmation that required a signature, but I still didn't get the payment released until after the positive feedback. I even did the "ship this with paypal" thing.

Maybe I can just sell some really low value stuff that I'm not worried about getting hosed on, so that I can get my rating up over 100. I just don't sell often enough to make it worth my while I guess. An old D&D book or Battletech supplement here or there doesn't seem like it's worth the stress. The job I'm in tends to breed paranoia and distrust. Could you tell? ::):

Thanks for the data mining. ::): My paypal fu is weak.

I guess that means that the reason for the "paypal money jail" in my situation is because I'm a casual seller. If I was a more prolific seller I wouldn't have to wait for the 21 days, or the positive feedback, or paypal's confirmation of delivery. I think my ebay score is in the 80's.

All you need is a feedback over 100. So buy some stuff from folks that give feedback :)

Any idea how paypal confirms delivery? I had USPS delivery confirmation that required a signature, but I still didn't get the payment released until after the positive feedback. I even did the "ship this with paypal" thing.

Far as I can tell, they don't unless there is a problem. I don't think they routinely check delivery, only when a buyer claims non-receipt.

Maybe I can just sell some really low value stuff that I'm not worried about getting hosed on, so that I can get my rating up over 100. I just don't sell often enough to make it worth my while I guess. An old D&D book or Battletech supplement here or there doesn't seem like it's worth the stress. The job I'm in tends to breed paranoia and distrust. Could you tell? ::):

Really, eBay just isn't interested in the little guy sellers. They want folks that sell thousands a month and bigger ticket items so they get big fees. Again, get your feedback over 100 buy buying stuff :) There's LOTs of minis on eBay. Not that I spend too much money on eBay :unsure:

The retaliatory feedback was bad enough, but lately it's become feedback extortion. In all but 2 of the past 30 auctions I've won, My item came with a note (either paper or email) stating: "We will leave positive feedback once you do. Anything other than positive feedback will result in you either receiving negative feedback, or not receiving any. Failure to leave feedback will result in your being placed on our banned bidder list." (or other words to the same effect)

This isn't just ONE seller. This is more than 20 different sellers doing this? I asked eBay about this, but was never responded to.

I have separate accounts for buying and selling, so I can't pump the numbers on the selling account by buying.

Personally I think the changes made feedback completely worthless. There were so many ways to address the situation and eBay chose the one that would make buyers happiest. Heck, eBay actually published something that said that buyers should negotiate shipping with sellers after buying items.

I barely even look at feedback any more but then again I barely use eBay any more. As a seller the fees are outrageous and I've heard too many horror stories of buyers doing horrible things now. As a buyer I'm not finding anything I want on eBay since all the small sellers are going away.

It's a shame, really.

This happened to me!! I had sold a complete Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Warrior army on eBay back in early October. The guy did that hold thing (my feedback rating is only like 75, but like Qwyksilver, I have well over 100 positives and no negatives). I shipped it promptly, and input the tracking number in Paypal (as well as e-mailing the guy as well). I leave him feedback from promptly paying like 5 minutes after the auction ended (literally) and then he left positive feedback the next day. Then, guess what? No funds!! I e-mailed the guy back and told him what was up. He copied me in on SEVERAL e-mails he sent to Paypal wanting to know what was going on. It took Paypal 5 days to get off of their lazy a$$e$ and give me my money. The buyer was totally cool in my case and it was Paypal's fault.

What sucks is I am about to move into a new house and I have a ton of things I need to sell off for some extra dough. If eBay is no longer the cat's meow, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can post my stuff? And it is a wide range of things, not just gaming related. :unsure:

Wild Bill :blues:

I would almost think it would be time for Yahoo to bring back their auctions. People are getting seriously fed up with eBay, it's been in the news enough with all the negative reaction, and it isn't like Yahoo isn't known for its diversity of services.

I don't know of another auction site. There's a few fixed price sites that have been trying to get off the ground but I'm not seeing anything to compete.

The retaliatory feedback was bad enough, but lately it's become feedback extortion. In all but 2 of the past 30 auctions I've won, My item came with a note (either paper or email) stating: "We will leave positive feedback once you do. Anything other than positive feedback will result in you either receiving negative feedback, or not receiving any. Failure to leave feedback will result in your being placed on our banned bidder list." (or other words to the same effect)

This isn't just ONE seller. This is more than 20 different sellers doing this? I asked eBay about this, but was never responded to.

If I banned everyone who didn't leave feedback, I wouldn't have anyone left to buy my stuff!

Heh, if eBay wanted to make both buyers and sellers happy, they could institute a program that automatically after the 60 day feedback window closes leaves positive feedback if one or both parties decided it wasn't worth the two seconds it takes to leave feedback. I think my feeback rating would probably be in the 2000's instead of 800's

OK - how likely is it that the same bidder wins over 2,000 of the auctions from a single seller and that's the only seller they buy from?

And has private feedback.

Anyone?

It's strange but it could be possible, some people buy exclusively from certain sellers. We've got a couple of buyers that only buy from us, but that's because they live nearby and we offer in-store pick-up. But to have over 2,000 from one seller? Yeesh, sounds like a Power Seller trying to keep their level ::P: