Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Everything I've painted, post-1900's (lots of pix)

Here is my version of Reaper's Skeletal Dragon (#2705). I painted him as (the remains of) a green dragon, and tried not to take the highlights too far in the hopes of having him look more like his bones have been trapped in the basement of a collapsed wizard's tower for a few millennia, as that is where he turned up in my D&D campaign.

Not sure how well it'll show up here, but I tried to make it look like his eyes giving off an evil reddish glow.

The base is a wooden disk I got at Michael's, built up with Woodland Scenics model railroad terrain materials.

The whole thing was painted with craft paints, and at the risk of making him seem a little too new and shiny, I used a bit of brush-on gloss for the horns and claws.

post-4296-1196103463.jpgpost-4296-1196103497.jpg
post-4296-1196103528.jpg

This one I painted as a zombie. I'm just posting him here for fun; this guy's best feature is the minor conversion I did on him. It sure ain't the paint job, anyhow... I have no idea if it was originally intended to be undead, as it is a relic of the early 1980's that I dug out of my Box of Old Lead. No idea of the manufacturer either. (EDIT: Tracked down some more info about this guy. He was indeed intended to be a zombie, and he is from the Grenadier #5002 D&D Monster set - which I believe was purchased in the early-ish 1980's) I do know that his raised soft lead hand had gotten mashed into an unrecognizeable state during the decades he spent buried under other fogotten minis; he wasn't always holding his own eyeball. In fact, he had 2 eyes in his head when I began work on him. His fingers were so mashed that I decided to carve the eyeball shape right into the lead blob that was their remains. Gouging out his eye was easy enough.

I painted this mini at least 5 years ago, before I had begun building up a kit of tools and basing materials; the base is a washer with dirt from my yard glued to it with epoxy (IIRC). I think the grave marker was made of a matchstick or something. I think this guy is mostly in craft paint too, though the skin is GW paint.

post-4296-1196103578_thumb.jpgpost-4296-1196103635_thumb.jpg

This is an old GW ogre from the 80's (EDIT: Tracked down some more info about this guy. He was sculpted by Jes Goodwyn for Citadel minis and released in 1985. Apparently this guy is a bit of a collector's item - who knew? Not so surprised though; I still love this sculpt), back when their minis had a bit of character to them. I know, it's all too fashionable to bash GW these days, but I distinctly remember a point when I loved their Citadel minis but suddenly stopped finding any that were suitable for RPG characters/monsters because all that my local stores had from them were minis who were meant to be part of an army unit or whatever - I don't know the GW game terms. No more dynamic poses or strange gear on them, just standard issue gear, y'know? To me it was sad, since I'm a D&D player and could care less about Warhammer.

Anyhow, I had painted this guy years ago, very badly, with Testors enamels of all things, as that was the only kind of paint for models I knew about - this was back before the wonderful web we all know and love now, remember. Yecch. Maybe it's possible to paint minis well with the stuff, but what a mess to clean up and thin! Well, when I got back into D&D and minis after about a 10 year hiatus, I thought this guy was too cool to live in that paintjob, so into the Pine-Sol he went. This time I painted him in GW and craft paints and am still fairly happy with what came out. I think I repainted this one in 2002 or thereabouts.

Tha base is a GW large base with a square of this stuff I found at Canadian Tire (seen it in Wal-Mart since) in the Christmas decorations aisle one year. It's basically a roll of rubbery plastic cobblestone road for making those little Christmas villages people have. And a Reaper skull, plus a couple of pebbles.

post-4296-1196103714.jpgpost-4296-1196103732.jpg
post-4296-1196103745.jpgpost-4296-1196103754.jpg

This necromancer is still being sold, or was a couple years ago when I saw one at my FLGS, though nowadays it is sold by Iron Wind. I've had this guy since the 80's though, which I believe would make this one a Ral Partha. For some reason I never bothered to do any highlighting on the base after I glued railroad sand on it and gave it a coat of plain green. But other than the base I'm fairly happy with him. This was painted 4-5 years back too, and if you look closely you might see a few chips in his paint job. Guess my sealer could have been a little thicker, or I could have been more careful with him... The sculpted details on this guy's face are really good, especially for a mini that came out so long ago - compared to, say the zombie I posted above. This guy's not quite as old as that - more like late 80's. Mostly GW paints, here, though some craft paints used as well.

post-4296-1196103847.jpgpost-4296-1196103856.jpg
post-4296-1196103862.jpg

Here is a GW minotaur who was one of the first minis I painted when I started getting back into gaming, after I had discovered and picked up some Woodland Scenics stuff for basing. I'm not thrilled with the path on the base, and the skintones have some overly abrupt transitions on them. Apparently I was really into drybrushing when I painted this guy. I used a bit of gloss for his horns and mouth parts. I also used some unthinned brush-on gloss to give the blood on his axe that clotted look - probably this piece's best feature.

post-4296-1196103946.jpgpost-4296-1196103954.jpg
post-4296-1196103971.jpgpost-4296-1196103960.jpg

This is an ent, or treeant, or tree-man, or something like that. He's another GW relic from the 80's. Possibly the early 90's, but IIRC a little older than that. anyhow, I do remember buying this one because he looked so cool painted up in a mini-diorama on the box he came in (which was a new thing back then, at least to me). A simple paint job really; most of the work was putting the Woodland Scenics foam foliage for the leaves on the branches, and grinding up more of the same to make his "beard and arm hair" moss, as well as the base, which is too small but fairly lush and thick looking - though that doesn't come out as well in any of these shots as it does IRL. I tried to differentiate the leave from the moss by lightly drybrushing some yello onthe leaves and some pale green on the moss.

<edit - 6 years after posting this, I have an ID on this mini! Found an ebay listing naming him as "C31 ENT FF11-2 Fiend Factory GIANT TREEMAN Scarce McDeath - Citadel Oop" - Hooray for the internet! Looks like someone was willing to pay $40AU for a bare metal one. Or maybe someone was just willing to ask that much... Hooray for the internet's ability to confuse!</edit>

post-4296-1196104102_thumb.jpgpost-4296-1196104061.jpg
post-4296-1196104069.jpgpost-4296-1196104078.jpg
post-4296-1196104087.jpg

Here's another old piece that is actually made of lead. I believe he was sold as an efreet(i?), and that's what I've painted him up as. He's another one who got the Pine-Sol treatment early in the 2000's after suffering in my Box of Old Lead for too many years. I don't know why I put grass around his base; a desert or dungeon floor or at least burnt grass would make so much more sense. Anyhow, this paint job is almost as crude as my zombie above, though the efreet looks way cooler for some reason, IMO. This was also painted several years ago, but I can remember when I added railroad rocks for the coals on his base, I wanted the outer ones to be much darker, like they were mostly ash. That did not happen, obviously. Oh well, base and crappy drybrushing aside, if you don't look at him as close as these photos, he looks not too bad I think. (EDIT: Tracked down some more info about this guy. He's from Grenadier's AD&D line, sculpted by John Denett, and was produced sometime in the 1980-1983 range)(EDIT 2: According to treide, he is actually from Grenadier's Dragon Lords Monster Manuscript line. Not sure if that's part of the same AD&D line or what; could be some conflicting info here, or maybe he was made part of more than one set. In any case, thanks for the info, triede!)

post-4296-1196104172.jpgpost-4296-1196104180.jpg
post-4296-1196104189.jpgpost-4296-1196104197.jpg

Here's a dwarf barbarian, another decades-old mini with a less old paint job. The base is white stuff on a washer - my first attempt at using any sort of 2-part putty. Not thrilled with how it turned out, but the mini itself looked pretty nice before it got all these chips in the paint. Maybe I'll go back and do a little restoration work on him someday. (EDIT: Tracked down some more info about this guy. He's actually called the dwarf "warrior", though he still looks like a barbarian to me. He's from a boxed set called "Adventure Fellowship" from Ral Partha in (IIRC) the late 80's. The set also included 9 other minis who I'm pretty sure I still have and am certain I ought to paint up some day, as the sculpts on them were the reason I picked up the set in the first place)

post-4296-1196104271_thumb.jpgpost-4296-1196104279.jpg
post-4296-1196104287.jpgpost-4296-1196104295.jpg

Here's my version of Reaper's Balto Burrowell, Gnome (#2510). This is one where I have gone back to touch up some chips he received on the tabletop where he represents a friend's gnome sorcerer PC. Too bad, some of the gems looked a lot better before they got chipped and hurriedly repaired. He's still got a few chips on him, sadly. Another one to maybe repair someday I guess.

post-4296-1196104374.jpgpost-4296-1196104384.jpg
post-4296-1196104392.jpgpost-4296-1196104399.jpg

Reaper 2653: Slipshadow, Thief. This guy has taken a real beating since I painted him up! Used him for a rogue PC I had until that character died from multiple enervation spells. He got caught between a necromancer and his pet zombie grey render. The rest of the party escaped and were unable to recover his body in time to get him brought back to life. I don't know what I did to this guy to get hime so chipped and covered with lint. Must've accidentally gone into the Tacklebox of Doom with its load of heavy, rough, sharp objects that we use for terrain in our D&d games - someone probably thought it was one of the plastic D&d minis we keep in there and swept him in with the rest. Too bad, I was pretty happy with this one when he was in good condition. This guy may well be beyond my abilities to repair.

post-4296-1196104471.jpgpost-4296-1196104480.jpg
post-4296-1196104486.jpgpost-4296-1196104492.jpg

Reaper 2520: Troll Matron. 100% craft paints. To avoid the hassle of putting this somewhere else then linking to it here, I'll only attach photos of angles from which you can't see her naughty exposed bits. Her base has taken a little punishment, but otherwise I've somehow managed to avoid having her take the kind of damage those last couple of minis did. Which is a relief, 'cause I'd hate to see a chipped paint job on such a sexy troll! What, you don't think she's sexy?!?

post-4296-1196104563.jpgpost-4296-1196104569.jpg
post-4296-1196104575.jpgpost-4296-1196104582.jpg
post-4296-1196104589.jpgpost-4296-1196104596.jpg
post-4296-1196104604_thumb.jpgpost-4296-1196104613_thumb.jpg

So, these have been pretty much all the minis I've completed this millennium. Hope you enjoyed them! I'm always open to any suggestions that might help me improve my painting. If you want to post some, keep in mind that these span the past several years. If you want to know where my skills are at now, I'm currently working on Reaper 2568: D'Khul, Bathalian. There's a WiP threat I started when my can of Dullcote started acting up on me, and a Tips & Advice thread about the same issue (pics in WiP thread, details of Dullcote issues in Tips & Advice...). That one is almost done, so by the time you read this he might well be up here somewhere in Show Off too. He'll get his own thread though; this multi-mini thread was just to get me caught up.

One last thing: If anyone can help me pin down any info about the older minis I've posted here (ie. who made them, when, etc.), I'd appreciate it very much. (EDIT: I already found some as you've seen, but I'd still be interested in finding out more about a few of these minis, and if any of my research has turned up false information, please post and let me know!)

Thanks for looking!

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 2

Nice minis I still have the adventuring party that goes along with that dwarf barbarian, come to think of it I still have the dwarf barbarian too :)

Nice minis I still have the adventuring party that goes along with that dwarf barbarian, come to think of it I still have the dwarf barbarian too :)

Thanks faol, glad you liked them.

How about posting a pic of the adventuring party set that includes the dwarf barbarian? Even if they're unpainted or whatever, I for one would appreciate the help it would give me in reuniting my own set. I'm pretty sure I still have them all too, but I forgot which ones were in the set ages ago and I may have to track down one or 2 pieces that might be hiding in a friend's gaming box. One's a goateed knight who keeps falling over, with a lion crest on his shield and a lance made of a removable length of wire, right? Or am I thinking about another old boxed set I used to have? Do you remember what company produced these guys?

It'd be nice to eventually track down manufacturer's names & years for all those minis I collected back when I was a kid with no bills, 100% disposable income, and all the time in the world for gaming, minis, and analog music... Good times. Maybe I can make a start on that here.

Thanks again,

Kang

Greetings fellow Canuck!

I love seeing all these old minis... The Efreet looks pretty cool regardless of the technique - the colour transitions are really cool... er hot... As for the not scortching the grass... its MAGIC fire :poke: - problem solved.

The tree man/Ent is also super cool.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this... now - lets see some more of your newer stuff :devil: .

Greetings fellow Canuck!

I love seeing all these old minis... The Efreet looks pretty cool regardless of the technique - the colour transitions are really cool... er hot... As for the not scortching the grass... its MAGIC fire :poke: - problem solved.

The tree man/Ent is also super cool.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this... now - lets see some more of your newer stuff :devil: .

No need to thank me - I'm doing this to try and kick-start myself into painting more minis. But thank you for taking the time to look, and to comment!

I seem to work in fits and starts - I'll get on a minis kick and paint up a mini, sometimes taking months or more, working a couple hours at a time with weeks or days in between, then I'll find myself constantly busy doing other stuff for months or sometimes even a couple years between pieces. Other than the mind flayer in my current WiP thread, plus an old Ral Partha Umber Hulk and an old (brand unknown) draconian that I forgot to bring pictures of, this thread contains literally everything I've painted (or repainted) since around 2000 (hence the thread title), when some of my gaming buddies moved back into town and I got the itch to start painting again after a hiatus that had lasted the better part of a decade. The older stuff I did when I was a kid with all kinds of free time for hobbies spent all those years in a box in one of said buddies' parents' garage with many other minis dumped on top of them, getting kicked around and run over by bikes and chipped beyond recognition. So I ended up stripping some (some of which you've seen here) and setting others aside to eventually restore if possible. With a pregnant wife and a kid and 2 hours on the road daily to and from work, a hundred-and-four year-old house that always seems to be trying to fall apart and a half acre jungle of a yard to maintain outside it, not to mention a D&D campaign to run and prepare for each week or my reasonably serious TV addiction, it's hard to find time to paint. Otherwise I'd have more to show. Aside from my mounds of naked pewter and lead, I do also have 02515: Krunkh, Bugbear Chief - he's been sitting half-painted on my desk for the past 3 years or more (someday I'll paint his legs and his gear, honest), but aside from that, my newest pieces are the skeletal dragon and the tentaclehead WiP who is my new avatar.

I'm hoping the fact I'm no longer strictly a lurker here will keep me inspired to make a point of kicking things up a notch so I can crank out more pieces, more often. For now, my goal is to paint up the BBEG for each new adventure in the D&D campaign I'm running. That ought to keep me busy, I figure, even as slow as my players seem to move along. Mind you, there've been several adventures played through since the encounter with the skeletal dragon from Dungeon magazine #119 back in July 2005... we've since played a couple of other randomly selected Dungeon adventures, then began playing their Age of Worms adventure path from the start since then, and the mind flayer is from the fourth adventure in that campaign, which they're now barely surviving. So I have my work cut out for me even to get myself up to one new mini every couple of months (much less years). I should probably be checking out the next issue right now to see what sort of Big Bad is in that one so I can buy or dig out a mini and paint it up before they actually fight it... If I can get ahead, then maybe I'll finish off that bugbear or start on something else sooner rather than later.

Kang

Curses! For some reason I've been getting plagued by database error messages whenever I try to edit an older post of mine for the past couple of months. If it had worked this time, you would be able to scroll up now to the writeup for the tree-dude and seen the following edit to the text:

...This is an ent, or treeant, or tree-man, or something like that. He's another GW relic from the 80's. Possibly the early 90's, but IIRC a little older than that.
<EDIT>According to Madog Barfog's hacklopedia site,

This was one of many Citadel sculpts from the "Fiend Factory" range that was eventually resculpted by Ral Partha. The resculpt is currently offered as DF-053 through the IWM Direct Mail Fantasy catalog.

Thanks Madog!</EDIT>
Anyhow, I do remember buying this one because he looked so cool painted up in a mini-diorama on the box he came in...

I am sort of counting on the fact that posting this will magically make the edit I attempted work retroactively, through application of Murphy's Law. I can live with feeling silly for posting this when in a couple of days the edit actually will have taken place after all, if it means the edit actually did take place after all. If you know what I mean...

Thanks again MB!

<edit - just found a real ID on this one, edited it in above. Note, I just checked IWM's catalog for that product ID and it seems to be a different treeman. Though mine really was from Citadel's Fiend Factory, so this post is at least partly correct. </edit>

Kang

Edited by Kang