Heritage frost giant

72moonglum

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what did you use for snow? looks like salt?

The best combo I've found is actually elmers glue and baking soda. Mix it up into a paste, apply it to the base and then cover the paste with loose baking soda. let it sit overnight and voila! real lookin' snow. ::): And no worries about painting it, it's already white.

The giant looks pretty good overall. I would have gone with a different shade for the beard. Such as a more yellowy white beard against the cool blue skin. Just a preference though.

Hi Fieldarchy,

The snow I bought from Hobby Lobby from their model train section. It's Woodlands Scenics snow. Thanks for the snow recipe, I'll try it next time! I've got actually a few more frost giants to paint one of these days from Grenadier and I can try your recipe with those.

I actually thought about making the beard a radically different color, like a blondish yellow or something, but ended up doing it like this. I actually started out the skin with the Reaper Ghost White and worked from there and the beard just started out as pure white, hoping that they would look a bit different, but considering I used a lot of the same colors for the washes in the skin and beard, they don't look very much different. I painted a while back ago a Ral Partha frost giant, where the skin was light blue and then the beard was a dark blue and that looked pretty okay and had some contrast, but you're right, this one just kind of seems to blend in to each other.

If I might ask for an honest opnion, how do you think the metals turned out, especially the axe head and helmet?

Hm I think the snow on the base doesn't look bad, it only looks strange on the stones because there the grainy look is so obviously. About your mini: I like that blue skin, really nice but I think more white for the beard and the hair had given him more nice contrasts. I also think that the nmm turned out good, I'm not sure if I can call it flat. Maybe a little bit more pure white for the final highlights, but the blendings look smooth, the highlighting looks right and also the blue/grey shading suits pretty well to the colour scheme and if I look at the darkest and the brightest colour I think it isn't flat but it looks matt, you know? The shine is missing, you can reach that with more pure white at certain points.

It seems to be with both colors.

For steel I started with blue liner and then highlighted with the following colors--midnight blue, twilight blue, snow shadow, ghost white and white.

For gold I start with brown liner, chestnut brown, chestnut gold + chestnut brown, chestnut gold, palomino gold, palomino + pure white, pure white.

See if that works better for you. Those are the recipes I just used on Shaedra.

Hey Moonglum! Cool Heritage giant - I don't think I have ever seen this mini! I too wrestle with NMM. I think I do an OK job on gold, but iron/steel/silver are tough for me. Your blends on the metals in this mini are very smooth, and I think the points made by Fieldarchy and Vhaidra are that for it to look like realistic metal, there need to be some sharp transitions. Smooth blends work great for fabric and skin, but not for metal, in other words. I find it difficult to achieve that effect without making the metal look "streaky", personally, but I think I am getting better with practice. Keep up the good work!