Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Mind Flayer

oooh you're playing the AoW arch? Have you watered it down any? When I was running that I played straight from the campaign modules written and we seemed to have a character death every night.

Geez, I really could have used that warning 2 weeks ago!

We're veering a little off-topic here I guess, but since you asked (and since it seems like everything that's going to be said about the mini has probably been said already), I'd be more than happy to babble on about my D&D campaign for a bit:

{Age of Worms Adventure Path Spoilers - you have been warned!}

I haven't watered it down much, but I did allow a much higher point buy value for PC ability score generation than I normally would. Early on I actually had to beef up most of the bad guys a bit because we had 5 of these powerhouse PC's and they were walking right over everything they met, but then one of our more casual players got himself a girlfriend and soon after bailed on us, so his dwarf's older brother finally caught up with him and dragged him back to the clanhold by his ear to "stop this foolish adventurin' and think about yer responsibilities to yer clan fer once, like a proper dwarf should" - since then it's been straight out of the Dungeon mags as-is. We've had 2 PC (& 1 DMPC, "Chuck" the halfling knife thrower who got eaten by a huge constrictor snake) deaths so far - the Ebon Triad Hextorites took down the party's cleric in the 3 Faces of Evil adventure (episode 2 of the adventure path) when the party blundered into what has since become known at our table as their "kill room", then a randomly rolled wandering black pudding in the sewers killed the rogue/abjurer while they searched for the guy I'm using this mini for's lair in the Hall of Harsh Reflections (episode 4), which we're still playing. Luckily they were able to get out with the bodies both times, had saved enough gold, and had garnered enough good will with the gods & their clergy to get Raise Dead cast both times. We used to have a lizardfolk wilder too, but he stayed behind in the swamp to rule over the newly conquered Twisted Branch tribe whose leaders they had slain at the end of Encounter at Blackwall Keep (episode 3), and as of 11PM yesterday when we called it a night, his human fighter replacement PC is stunned, with 2 mind flayer tentacles attached to his head. 2 of the remaining 3 other PC's are also stunned, while the 3rd, a Spider-Man wannabe monk, has only 6 hit points left and just began grappling with the mind flayer in an effort to save the fighter's brains, while the one remaining octopin moves into try and rend him to death. Next week's session will begin with the mind flayer's next turn, so the fighter could easily be headcheese after the very first die roll of the evening. For the sake of the campaign, all I can really hope for is for the monk to get really lucky and somehow keep the 'flayer busy until its buffs run out and the others can shake off the effects of the mind blast. If anyone could pull it off, he's the one to do it - I've seen him roll 6 consecutive natural 20's on more than one occasion. Sadly, he also rolled as many natural 1's in a row one night, so it could go either way really...

So maybe I should have watered it down some after all... I definitely smell a TPK despite trying to avoid one (every way I could think of short of blatantly "throwing" the encounter) by having the mind flayer toy with them, giving them a chance to retreat and heal up by using hit and run tactics rather than finishing them off the first time he had them in a situation like this, but it has actually only served to lure the fools deeper into his dungeon and ramp up their terror level while draining their resources. Terrified minds really are so much more delicious though, so he doesn't mind so much. :devil:

Kang

oh yeah you'll have a TPK at some point. I think the most I lost in one night was three out of five players. It was a tough module! We didn't get through the entire arc as the group split up for various reasons but it was a good run. Definitely water it down though if they are REALLY struggling.

Terrified minds really are so much more delicious though, so he doesn't mind so much.

Mmmmmmm, yes they are, especilly with fava beans and a nice chianti.

:devil: