Defensive strikes...

Mojoman

Well, I'm very excited. My friend and I finally got to play for the first time last night. It was great! I can now honestly say that I love this game! As is common when starting a new system, we had some problems trying to translate some of the rules. My questions deal primarily with defensive strikes, but there is a smattering of other minor issues from other areas as well. SO...

Here's my newbie questions ::P: for all you seasoned players:

1. How many defensive strikes does a mini get? Is it related to their #MA? Do they get a Def. Strike agains any/every model that attacked them that round? Do you have to be attacked to get a Def. Strike, or do you get to Def. Strike any model that is in B2B? I understand you must choose the type of Def. Strike (i.e. ranged, spell, melee), but what is the limitation, if any, on the number of Def. Strikes a single model may get?

2. If a model receives enough damage to become a casualty, does it still get it's defensive strikes? This came up because damage done "by the book" isn't effective until after all attacks and def. strikes are completed.

3. If a model with the Tough/# SA is stunned and another model had declared an attack against it before it was stunned, is it considered a "coup de gras"? This came up when one of my Templar Unforgiven was attacked by three skellie breakers. He was already on track 2, and the first skellie stunned him. The other two had already declared they were attacking him as well, so we ruled it a coup de gras and then they took they're non-combat actions.

I'm so happy to finally join the ranks of players in WL. I feel it is pretty simple and easy to grasp. We played our first game with 300 point armies (2 troops each) and it took about 1.5 hours because of referencing the books and discussing the rules. Both my friend and I are now very excited to get our armies built up and start battling it out! :lol: Next time, we are going to add some archers and spells so we will probably have more questions after that game. Thanks for y'all's help getting the system under control.

-mojoman

PS - here was our troop breakdown... just in case you're curious. We used the starter set with a couple proxies.

I played Crusaders: Lord Ironraven with 3 Templar Unforgiven & Sir Conlan with 3 Templar Unforgiven

My friend played Necropolis: Sir Azarphan with 5 Skeletal Swordsman & Railor with 4 Skeletal Swordsman

We did not use any spells, so it was all melee. The Crusaders wiped the floor with the Necros... One casualty on the Crusaders' side with utter defeat on the Necro side. : :B):

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mojoman,

Welcome to our little group. I'm glad you like the game. Here are some answers to your questions:

1. You normally get one defensive strike per activation. That means if you friend attacks Ironraven with Railor's troop, Ironraven gets one defensive attack. Later in the turn, if Azarphan's troop also attacks Ironraven, (same turn, different activation) he gets another defensive strike. Normally, a defensive strike is only a single attack. If the models data card has the special ability Warmaster, they get all of their melee attacks on their defensive strikes. The defensive strike can be delivered to any model in front side bases to base contact, not just those who attacked it.

2. The model always gets it's defensive strike before it goes away, no matter how badly you smoosh it. A point to note here is that different types of attacks take place seperately during the activation. If you take a mini out with a spell or ranged attack before you do melee actions, it would not get a defensive strike.

3. While it's not an unusual thing to do this the way you did, the official answer is no. All the declared attacks go off and the action is lost, even it the first one eliminates him. If the breaker had a second action left and wanted to coupe de gras with that, it could. Some of the guys I game with will hold a mini back when a group charges into melee just so it can coupe de gras if the opportunity arises.

4. Tell your friend not to lose hope. Skeletons are just there to act as speed bumps to protect the Necropolis heavy hitters. Once he starts to expand and learn the capabilities of his army, he will be able to make your fights much tougher to win.

Castlebuilder

1. How many defensive strikes does a mini get? Is it related to their #MA? Do they get a Def. Strike agains any/every model that attacked them that round? Do you have to be attacked to get a Def. Strike, or do you get to Def. Strike any model that is in B2B? I understand you must choose the type of Def. Strike (i.e. ranged, spell, melee), but what is the limitation, if any, on the number of Def. Strikes a single model may get?

-------------------------------------------------

Normally a model gets one defensive strike per enemy activation that hey are attacked. There are 2 SAs that allow for more than 1. SA:Warmaster allows you to take the same number of defensive swings as you have offensive swings. SA:Frenzy allows you to take however may defensive swings you have and add more defensive swings up to double, but for each additional defensive swing you take you suffer a -1 to your MAV for all of the swings.

Defensive swings do not have to be taken against the mode that attacked you, you may take it against any model in b2b that you may legally swing at.

Defensive attacks have to be identical to what was used against the model, if a model uses a sword against you, you cannot choose to use a spell as your defensive attack action.

2. If a model receives enough damage to become a casualty, does it still get it's defensive strikes? This came up because damage done "by the book" isn't effective until after all attacks and def. strikes are completed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damage is assessed whan all attacks and defensive attacks of a particular attack type happen. That is, if in one activation, I have an archer that fires at a model and then after they fire, a soldier chargesand does melee combat against thesame target, the sword soldier would attack the model usng the results of any archer fire damage caused because that is two different attack types. But, if I had two soldiers charge an enemy, the second soldier would haveto swing against the same numbers as the first soldier no matter if the first solder hit or not since thy are of the same attack type. The only exception to this is SA:First Strike.

So, to come back to your question, yes you would get your defenive strikes and they would be at the PRE-damaged values unless it was damage done by SA:First Strike or daamge done by a type that you have no defensive action (spell or ranged).

3. If a model with the Tough/# SA is stunned and another model had declared an attack against it before it was stunned, is it considered a "coup de gras"? This came up when one of my Templar Unforgiven was attacked by three skellie breakers. He was already on track 2, and the first skellie stunned him. The other two had already declared they were attacking him as well, so we ruled it a coup de gras and then they took they're non-combat actions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of those grey areas that says as long as you an your friend agreed to it, then its fine. I guess by letter of the law, a coup acton and an attack action are two different things and would have to be declared separately, As an example, I might declare one model not attacking but giving support so that when/if I did stun the model then that model would still have both actions to coup an do a non combat action.

Ok... great! Thanks for the helpful answers. That clears things up for me. I figured the def strike should be just one unless there was an SA involved. It didn't make sense that a model would get 2,3,4 etc def strikes. That seemed unbalanced to me. The way we played last night was that you could only def strike against a model that had attacked you, and that you got as many def strikes as you had #MA. Now, I see that was totally not the way the rule works. As for the tough thing, I think it just eliminates the value of the SA if, in the mentioned situation (which I would think is pretty common), the other two models' attacks count as an automatic coups de gras.

-mojoman