Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal_Legion

More Generic Monster Stat Blocks?

There are so many great, generic fantasy monsters in Reaper's Dark Heaven line, but having combed through the 2007 Rage Chronicles, I find very few of them represented. What gives? Will we see more of the generic monsters in the 2008 version?

I know Warlord is for Warlord models, but being able to use other Reaper minis would be awesome and make good sense. Perhaps some sort of Beastmaster SA that one could assign to one of his Adepts in the force to allow for the extra monsters would make some sense? I'm new to the boards, so if this is an old topic, please pardon me.

Thanks!

Scott

It's been a topic of discussion here before, and pretty much what it is going to come down to is we as fans will have to make it happen if we want it. A lot of us were pretty satisfied when the proxy rules were changed as a result of those discussions - that opened up most of the DHL line, although it did leave a lot of the monsters left out.

I'm pretty sure if a fan created and well playtested database of the DHL monster stats was presented to Reaper, they'd host it in an unofficial or maybe even semi-official status. But at this point, with everything else going on there, I don't see them having the time or will to tackle this project - for one thing, CAV players would cry foul, as they're waiting some promised CAV items first.

It's been a topic of discussion here before, and pretty much what it is going to come down to is we as fans will have to make it happen if we want it. A lot of us were pretty satisfied when the proxy rules were changed as a result of those discussions - that opened up most of the DHL line, although it did leave a lot of the monsters left out.

I'm pretty sure if a fan created and well playtested database of the DHL monster stats was presented to Reaper, they'd host it in an unofficial or maybe even semi-official status. But at this point, with everything else going on there, I don't see them having the time or will to tackle this project - for one thing, CAV players would cry foul, as they're waiting some promised CAV items first.

Thanks for the reply. If I get a chance to really play some games and get to know the system, maybe I'll try my hand at writing up a few stat blocks.

Scott

Thanks for the reply. If I get a chance to really play some games and get to know the system, maybe I'll try my hand at writing up a few stat blocks.

That's what I've been waiting for myself - better familiarity with the system before I give it a try.

Wow, I LOVE the idea of a 'Beastmaster' SA! :wub:

I'm going to be pushing for a change to the proxy rules, to allow for unique solos to be proxied. That should 'solve' the DHL monster problem, because you would then have a large assortment of datacards you could proxie a DHL monster with.

Wow, I LOVE the idea of a 'Beastmaster' SA! :wub:

I'm going to be pushing for a change to the proxy rules, to allow for unique solos to be proxied. That should 'solve' the DHL monster problem, because you would then have a large assortment of datacards you could proxie a DHL monster with.

Thanks! I hope you guys can implement it. It would prove especially thematic for Reven, Darkspawn, and Reptus, but also for some of the "good" factions in the case of monsters that might be thought of traditionally as good aligned, like the Pegasus, Unicorn, and Griffon.

I could see Beastmaster as perhaps a 10 pt. add-on that you could apply to one Adept or Elite model in your force.

Scott

Perhaps some sort of Beastmaster SA that one could assign to one of his Adepts in the force to allow for the extra monsters would make some sense?

And once the Beast Master is killed the Monster goes Berserk and attacks nearest troops including the group he is with. :devil:

There Has to be some bad with the good :unsure:

Perhaps some sort of Beastmaster SA that one could assign to one of his Adepts in the force to allow for the extra monsters would make some sense?

That would then open up the possiblity of a BeastRider SA, where a beast master could spend a combat action to mount/dismount his beast. The beast rider would then not be able attack/be attacked and would piggy back on the beast to where ever it went {effectively give up their own actions whilst mounted}. He/she would automatically dismount if the beast was killed.

There is of course the problem of what happens if he/she is riding a beast which has a movement ability of burrow or flyer which he/she does not have and the beast dies in that unfamiliar environment. - but I think that's been discussed else where.

[Not sure if the rider should be totally invunerable, possibly spells and shooting should still be able to target him/her but as if targetted behind heavy cover]

Don't forget that if you're playing a friendly game, anything goes! And you can always try to convince your local Black Lightening member to allow your DHL army into tournament play.

There is a paragraph in the core rulebook that says something to the effect of "if you want to field an army of all left-handed basket weavers, then go for it!" I like that philosophy. Technically speaking, you could field a nearly exclusively DHL army, except for the unique models of course (unless that rule changes?? Gus??), and it'd be fine. So you could take a faction that has stats and faction abilities that appeal to you, then use your DHL models as physical representations of them, and there you go - "generic" army. I think if you go that route you'll find that so-called generic cards are more or less built into the game already.

Don't forget that if you're playing a friendly game, anything goes! And you can always try to convince your local Black Lightening member to allow your DHL army into tournament play.

There is a paragraph in the core rulebook that says something to the effect of "if you want to field an army of all left-handed basket weavers, then go for it!" I like that philosophy. Technically speaking, you could field a nearly exclusively DHL army, except for the unique models of course (unless that rule changes?? Gus??), and it'd be fine. So you could take a faction that has stats and faction abilities that appeal to you, then use your DHL models as physical representations of them, and there you go - "generic" army. I think if you go that route you'll find that so-called generic cards are more or less built into the game already.

OK, the official proxy rules have been updated to allow proxies for all non-Warlord models. I encourage anyone interested in the generic stats to instead search the Rage Chronicles and find the closest stat block to what you wanted to create, and use proxy models. ::):

Once again, Reaper does something that causes me a great deal of joy and happiness! Thanks, Gus!

I've already been using black legionnaires for my merc grunts, but this opens a whole new field to run in. Woo hoo!

-Mojoman