Sign in to follow this  
fieldarchy

Time to upgrade

Hey guys,

I have a Kodak Easy Share CX7430 and I think it's time to upgrade. This camera was never made to be used to photo minis and it's now becoming apparent in the bad photos that I have coming out. They just aren't doing justice to the pieces I'm painting when you look at them in real life.

What are y'alls recommendations for a new camera with the max budget at $200 (ideally speaking).

Canon Powershot A570IS

Retails for under $200, but is on sale for the holidays. Macro doesn't seem to be too bad. It's big negatives seem to be only average battery life, bad flash recovery, and not the greatest for high speed shots.

But since you're shooting a stationary, well lit target, should do fine.

Best Buy currently has it on sale for $179.99

I was looking at cameras recently, and this is one that caught my eye, but I ended up getting a different camera, because I haggled with Best Buy to get a better deal - love their price matching. But, I was also looking for a camera that was more than something to take a good mini shot with, since I already have one of those, and this was more a camera for my wife.

Best bet is to bring a mini or two with you when you look for cameras and take a couple test shots.

dpreview is a site that was recommended to me by several folks when I started looking.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Thanks guys! Hopefully things will still be on sale after Christmas to see if I can swing it then. If not I may have to wait until my Birthday (President's weekend in Feb).

If you don't mind dealing with the hassle of crowds, this weekend is likely to be a HUGE weekend for last minute sales. News reports are saying that retailers are having less than expected sales and are hoping this weekend allows them to catch up to their initial estimates, so I would expect big last minute sales trying to draw people in.

I got my camera at Best Buy for $60 less than retail even though the camera I saw at the other store was technically a different model - the difference in model number was simply due to color of the shell (black vs silver), but it was enough, if they wanted to be dinks, Best Buy could have refused me on it.

List price is $300.

Ritz had it for $300.

Best Buy had it for $270.

BJ's had it for $240 (but it was not in stock at my local BJs in tax free NH, and I didn't want to drive 40 minutes to the one in tax happy Mass that I knew had it)

Best Buy gave it to me for $240 and I didn't have to show proof of the price at BJs

Which was nice, because I then dropped another $120 on memory cards, which were not available in the size and type that I wanted at BJs anyways.

The Digital Camera Resource page is another good site to peruse. Both that and the dpreview about have pretty detailed reviews on a number of cameras, including sample macro shots. Nikon is really well-known for good macro lenses, but I found while I liked my Nikon for taking pictures of minis, it wasn't always satisfactory for taking general every day pictures, particularly in low light. A camera is the one piece of hobby equipment that's not really just for the hobby, so I think it's worth considering the other stuff you'll want to use it for. (Like if you want to take pictures of indoor parties and gatherings or flash-free museums and such, a camera that does better in low light is good, if you want to take pictures of sporting events you want one with a good continuous shooting mode, stuff like that.) It's also worth checking out some camera stores and talking to the clerks, I got more feedback and information than I had expected that way.

My camera is probably cheaper than when I bought it, but I'm not sure it's gone down that much. Maybe with sales. I have a Fujifilm S6000fd. It's a 'near' SLR, which means all the features are spread out on the camera body and easier to access than in a compact, but it's heavier to cart around sight-seeing and the like. I know a few mini painters who've purchased the Canon powershot A710 IS and like it a lot, but I'm not sure where prices on that one are, either.

Oh, I forgot to mention. A camera is probably something I would not buy from a super discounted online store or Ebay. A lot of the cheapest cameras you'll see are 'gray market'. They were produced and priced with the intention of being sold in an international market where lower prices are standard, than people ship them in here. You won't likely get a warranty, possibly not a manual in English, and the manufacturer might not even fix the camera if you pay. You can read more about buying gray market cameras here - http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,107855-page,1/article.html.

Oh, I forgot to mention. A camera is probably something I would not buy from a super discounted online store or Ebay. A lot of the cheapest cameras you'll see are 'gray market'. They were produced and priced with the intention of being sold in an international market where lower prices are standard, than people ship them in here. You won't likely get a warranty, possibly not a manual in English, and the manufacturer might not even fix the camera if you pay. You can read more about buying gray market cameras here - http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,107855-page,1/article.html.

That's very true about the grey market items. Beware camera stores selling mail order that offer extended warranties thru the store. That is usually done with grey market goods since most manufacturers will refuse to service them.

yeah i have a Canon PowerShot with 6.0 mega pixels and i still cant get awsome close ups or even put the whole mini into view of the picture w/o having to stand 5 feet away and then it work what am i doing wrong??

yeah i have a Canon PowerShot with 6.0 mega pixels and i still cant get awsome close ups or even put the whole mini into view of the picture w/o having to stand 5 feet away and then it work what am i doing wrong??

Need more information. What mode are you in? Are you using the macro function? Manual or automatic settings?

Need more information. What mode are you in? Are you using the macro function? Manual or automatic settings?

i use everything from landscape, foliage, automatic portrait im clueless

Check your manual for "macro" or "super macro". On some cameras, setting it to macro is as simple as pressing a single button. On others, you may have to work through a menu of options on the digital viewscreen, but macro is the mode you need to be in.

Also check your manual to see what your macro range is. Even the best cameras have to be an inch or so away from the target. Mine has to be 4 inches away..but within 10.

Third, use a tripod. When you're close up, even the littlest shake can make a picture blurry, and just pressing the shutter button is enough to shake the camera.

Check your manual for "macro" or "super macro". On some cameras, setting it to macro is as simple as pressing a single button. On others, you may have to work through a menu of options on the digital viewscreen, but macro is the mode you need to be in.

Also check your manual to see what your macro range is. Even the best cameras have to be an inch or so away from the target. Mine has to be 4 inches away..but within 10.

Third, use a tripod. When you're close up, even the littlest shake can make a picture blurry, and just pressing the shutter button is enough to shake the camera.

thanks ill try that and let ya know