Standard Bearer

The Kraken

I was curious about posibly adding a standard bearer and musician to my army of undead pirates here. I was looking at possibly proxying Rudiger from the DHL line and converting him into a standard bearer:

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02508

I was thinking of this simply because I think it would be pretty awesome to have him standing on a chest of treasure with a priate flag in his hand. Would there be any downsides to doing this? Are there even any bonuses?

- Kraken

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that mini would make a cool standard bearer. I'm not sure about undead pirates though. This guy looks like he is still alive. Can I assume your planning on modifying the head a bit? Might it be easier to just buy a similar chest from one or Reaper's treasure packs and modify the Razig mini of your choice to assume a similar pose?

Other than needing to do modifications to make him look undead and probably having to trim the base a bit to make things fit on a 1" base I can't see any real down sides......

Castlebuilder

HA! I figured it out! I love the avatar, dude! :lol:

Welcome to the Reaper forum. Try not to get too addicted... like me. :blink:

Let me know if you need any help with your conversion. Since I just did something similar, I could give you some tips. See you the day after Christmas for movie night!

-mojoman

Except that the primary consequence of most (no, not all) failed Dis checks is that the model becomes Shaken... the undead pirates are, of course, Undead. The Undead SA makes them immune to being Shaken. There are still a few uses for Standard in a Razig army, but its impact is much less so than for most other armies.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Except that the primary consequence of most (no, not all) failed Dis checks is that the model becomes Shaken... the undead pirates are, of course, Undead. The Undead SA makes them immune to being Shaken. There are still a few uses for Standard in a Razig army, but its impact is much less so than for most other armies.

~v

That's what I figured, I was mainly just looking at it from the awesomness it would add to the look of my army.

Thanks

HA! I figured it out! I love the avatar, dude! :lol:

Welcome to the Reaper forum. Try not to get too addicted... like me. :blink:

Let me know if you need any help with your conversion. Since I just did something similar, I could give you some tips. See you the day after Christmas for movie night!

-mojoman

:poke:

I think that mini would make a cool standard bearer. I'm not sure about undead pirates though. This guy looks like he is still alive. Can I assume your planning on modifying the head a bit? Might it be easier to just buy a similar chest from one or Reaper's treasure packs and modify the Razig mini of your choice to assume a similar pose?

Other than needing to do modifications to make him look undead and probably having to trim the base a bit to make things fit on a 1" base I can't see any real down sides......

Castlebuilder

Would he have to be undead though to be a part of Razig's army?

That's what I figured, I was mainly just looking at it from the awesomness it would add to the look of my army.

Your biggest benefit to having a troop standard with Undead models that generally have low Dis values is the ability to break base-to-base contact. Normally, breaking base-to-base requires a Dis check, and if it fails, you don't break and are Shaken. As mentioned before, since Undead can't be Shaken, that part isn't an issue. But the troop Standard would help you get a reroll to try to successfully disengage, and that can be useful, especially with models like Chain Gang.

And as for whether or not models that you proxy in have to be undead... of course not. They can be just about anything you want, so long as they fit on a legal base. They might look a little odd (in this case, because every other model in the Razig faction is, in fact, undead), but if it works for you, then why not use it anyway?!

Just play and have fun!

~v

The simplest fix being to cut the guys head off and pin a skull in it's place.

I've got plenty of skulls you could use if this is the route you want to take. ^_^

-mojoman

I do like the idea of replacing the head with the skull. I am a stickler for uniformity, so it would bug the heck out of me if he wasn't undead. Since the Razig faction has no offical standard bearer, would it be best to use the Necro data card since they are undead as well?

The simplest fix being to cut the guys head off and pin a skull in it's place.

I've got plenty of skulls you could use if this is the route you want to take. ^_^

-mojoman

I do like the idea of replacing the head with the skull. I am a stickler for uniformity, so it would bug the heck out of me if he wasn't undead. Since the Razig faction has no offical standard bearer, would it be best to use the Necro data card since they are undead as well?

It's not necessary. The Standard Bearer is a Troop Upgrade that costs 15 points. The standard bearer mini is representative of an actual soldier from the troop holding a standard, so if it drops the standard it can attack and such like any other soldier... if I'm reading this correctly. Help me out here folks... is this right?

-mojoman

[MOD] Moving this to rules discussion. [/MOD]

Any soldier model - Adept or Grunt - can carry a standard. There is not a data card for it, although some factions have a model designed for it based off their warrior grunt model. It is a troop upgrade as mojo mentioned. You simply use a model to represent the soldier actually carrying the standard, but it can be carried by any of the soldier models in that troop.

So for instance you have a troop of Chain Gang being led by Grim Pete and you purchase a standard:

• One of those Chain Gangs is 'carrying' the Standard and there should be some way to denote who is the standard bearer. It doesn't have to be a standard specifically, just something visible. In a pinch, a piece of pipe cleaner or glob of poster tac will work.

• If that model is slain in combat, you lose the benefits of the standard.

• Another model from that troop could pick up the standard (non-combat action) at which point the troop would once again gain the benefits of the standard.

• If this is the case, you could just swap out the physical model of that solider for the one with the converted with the standard, or move the token used to represent it, etc.

Hope that helps.