Close Combat Resolution

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the other half of the OP's CAV gaming group. Honestly we both came from BattleTech so we like the fact that the came is not centered around the 'giant stompy robots'. I did notice from the diagrams in the rulesbook that what appears to be a standard gameboard is much smaller and significantly more urban than anything we've been using. We're playing on a 6' x 8' table with only a limited amount of hills and woods. This in and of itself keeps infantry from being overpowerful.

I too like the new CAV infantry rules....

at first they seem like OMG they are even more powerful, but they really are not... I think they are very well balanced and with the fact that the CAV can now break away is nice as well...

I do admit its fun chasing down a Thunderbird all over the field... though it sucks when my opponent keeps making his repair rolls <_<

I also like the fact they now have a repair track....

I am the other half of the OP's CAV gaming group. Honestly we both came from BattleTech so we like the fact that the came is not centered around the 'giant stompy robots'. I did notice from the diagrams in the rulesbook that what appears to be a standard gameboard is much smaller and significantly more urban than anything we've been using. We're playing on a 6' x 8' table with only a limited amount of hills and woods. This in and of itself keeps infantry from being overpowerful.

Those are basic layouts, most game stores or individual players don't have access to playing area's larger then 4*6 on average. We really want to encourage folks to play with bigger forces on bigger boards every chance they have.

Our design guide was to make the game playable in a small fashion on a kitchen table, thus a small 1500 point game on a 4*4 or smaller is completely doable. Does it show case what CAV is all about or let you play with ALL the toys, no. But that first time you get to drop a 5000 point or bigger force on a good sized board and go to town you really see how things can come together, how different aspects of the game can be stacked together and unfold into the perfect plan, and then of course watch that plan completely collapse in front of your eyes because your opponent got to bring all the toys too!

One of the best Sat mornings I've had playing this game was at StubbDog's house playing on his table so big it filled the garage, and had a area cut out of the center on one side so we could get to the middle. Four of us were on that board and had tons of room to play and maneuver.

Pat, tell me that they will let me setup up something similar up anywhere up there at the HQ and I will be happy to bring up a "larger" playing area table. I was just about to do a set up at Gamewyze, but found out that they are shutting their doors at the end of this month. And the Hobby Annex game area I dont think is large enough to fit what I have. It was my interactive table I built for a warlord scenario, but I think it would still make for a cool CAV game too.

but we barely get enough folks paying open games as it is with all the classes going on.

My only complaint about RCon.

Let's have Bryan trim the grass real short out back and we can play a large battle on the bank outside...... Ya gotta take the hill if you want to get back into the air conditioning.

Castlebuilder