How long do you keep up your tree and/or lights?

Stubbdog

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have to sing about this topic:

"Decorations" by Bob Rivers (sung to the tune of "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys)

I love the colored lights every year

And the way the neighbors stop their cars and stare

I strap a Santa Claus on my roof

Plastic candy canes and reindeer everywhere

I'm stringin' up decorations

It's straining the power stations

Fake icicle light formations

Imported from Third World nations

I'm freaking out fire stations

I'm pumping out radiation

My neighbors are out of patience

Gotta keep those yuletide decorations up all winter

God appreciates my plugged in tribute to the Savior

God would love me if I could keep 'em up till well past Easter

AMEN!!

I'm putting up a manger station

Three wise men's destination

Nutcrackers in full Claymation

Little Drummer Boy animation

Fa-la-la-la-la, Fa-la-la

It's straining the power stations

Fake icicle light formations

Imported from Third World nations...............

We always had a fresh-cut tree when I was growing up, and when it came down was usually determined by how well and long it continued to draw water. One year we had one last all the way to valentine's day, so we removed the christmas decorations, left the white lights on, and decorated it with red, white, and pink hearts. It was quite cute.

The last few years I've had a potted Norfolk Island pine as my Christmas tree, mostly due to the lack of space for anything larger. I now have a nice collection of mini-LED lights and mini ornaments that it gets decorated with. It stays inside and lit until at least the 12th day, and sometimes longer.

~v

Go the 2-in-1 route like I did this year.. Decorate the tree with cat toys. 'Least then you'll know what they're getting at is kitty-safe.

I had a friend who decorated her tree such that things within dog and cat range (her cats didn't jump/climb (much) were pet friendly and the things above dog and cat range were traditional ornaments.

Ron

My wife has a December birthday, so Xmas decorations don't go up until the weekend after her birthday (10th) by family tradition so there is some seperation between the birthdays.

The tree will stay up at least through Epiphany (tradition for both our families). However long it remains up after that day comes down a lot to schedule, how close to becoming tinder the tree is, schedule, schedules, oh yeah and free time.

Since I got my own house, I made it a point to take mine down before New Years Eve, but that was a reaction to my upbringing and how my folks liked to leave the blasted thing up right into February.

I used to give my mother hell about wanting to change the lights out to all red and hang Cupids and paper hearts from the thing.

But THIS YEAR at Chez Grinch, I decided to be lazy and just put a single 150-light strand(the blinky light-show kind) around my 5' tall silk fig tree.

Hell..it looks so good I think I'll just leave it up year-round like they do at the mall.

That's the way to go, especially for someone like me who's very allergy prone.

I got allergy shots from 6-19 which finally allowed me to have a real Xmas tree in my house by the time I was 18. Prior to that, we had artificial because a real tree would have sent me to the ER with a near fatal asthma attack triggered by the allergies.

My wife never had a real tree growing up because her mom didn't want to deal with the hassle of cleaning the needles.

Now, all we will get is a real tree, because we could never have one when we were growing up.

I was right - my wife got fed up with the tree yesterday, and it came down...well, ok, she didn't get annoyed at the tree, she bashed her leg again on the loveseat we had to move to make room for the tree. She's happy now that the loveseat is back in it's place.