Vaitalla

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Jester ALWAYS has a good reason for being here: We love him!! ::D:

Please, no offers to teach in here. There are many variables I am juggling with teachers right now; it's not an easy job, and public offers will only irritate me. If you are coming to the Con and wish to teach, contact me privately. If I do not get back to you right away, it's because I'm on two deadlines right now AND trying to juggle all this! Thanks for understanding, guys. ::):

Otherwise, y'all have some FANTASTIC suggestions this year! Thanks so much!! I have filled almost two pages in my Evil Little Notebook with your responses. :;):

Now...more, more!! ::D:

--Anne ::):

• Reaper User

Heh, yeah, I think demi- and shaded metallics are entering a renaissance, which is pretty darn cool. ::): I will definately put a class in those on the list!

Also, to provoke discussion, I haven't heard many suggestions for sculpting classes other than the Hair and Fur and Conversions. How about sculpting for basing, did anyone take that last year and was it useful? Would you like to see a repeat? What other sculpting stuff would you like to see?

Thanks again all!!

Top three that I get cornered with when I host Beer...errr...Paint Nights at the ranch:

Materials and lighting: Looks at how different materials catch the light and reflect them and how to achieve that on a miniature.

Airbrushing: Bit of everything from basic usage to doing fine detailing.

Bases: From simple bases to more complex ones which actually span multiple bases via a movement try or display stand.

Everyone seems to enjoy those subjects - though it might just be the beer.

Also, to provoke discussion, I haven't heard many suggestions for sculpting classes other than the Hair and Fur and Conversions. How about sculpting for basing, did anyone take that last year and was it useful? Would you like to see a repeat? What other sculpting stuff would you like to see?

Sculpting for basing sounds cool and anything that can help my basing will be 100 percent useful! While it's not entirely sculpting in my mind, I think it would be great if there were a class on humanoid musculature and proportioning, watered down Gray's Anatomy type stuff so that painters and sculptors alike can know better how to place them (either in highlights or actual greenstuff). A class on sculpting scales, chainmail and those darn lil' buckles and belts that Werner is so fond of... basically texturing and armoring type stuff.

Oh... nearly forgot my ultimate downfall right now... Umm.. there will be a class or three on prepping miniatures, right?

I'd be willing to teach my Conversions and Kitbashing class again if I can afford the plane ticket.

Probably was my favorite class I took last year (took a variety of classes too). Froggy is a real hands on instructor. The class really let you get into what you wanted to make. I made a CAVbot thing using a Reaper dollie & some CAV parts (really need to get to paint that, if not for me, but for Froggy) + a CAV flyer with organic bits to it.

In terms of classes for this year, hmmm I'm not gonna go overboard with class taking this time around, but I think what has been taught the last few year has been pretty good. I think what I'm gonna take if made possible again is a adv airbrushing class, really need to 'brush' up on my ab skills & if Jester teaches, then that is a bonus!! (besides gotta take a Jester class--taken at least 1 each time I've been there (3 years). Basing would be nice, simple stuff but basing has always been a bane for me. Maybe a working with gray/greenstuff for simple stuff would be nice.

RM

Heh, yeah, I think demi- and shaded metallics are entering a renaissance, which is pretty darn cool. ::): I will definately put a class in those on the list!

Yeah, demi metallics would be great! Hands on---please! "Lecture style" has it's strong points, but there is no substitute for actually doing it, and having an insructor teak you.

I don't remember seeing scuplting for basing last year... maybe it was there and it just conflicted with my other classes so I blocked it out. But would I like to see it? Oooohhhhh yes. Green stuff is my friend.

I would also like to second the motion for more Jester Speed classes. My Hubby got in on one last year and based off of what he told me I really wished I hadn't missed it.

underpainting and glazing by Eric Louchard

choosing harmonious color combos by Amy Brehm

wet blending by Mrika

creating dramatic contrast on faces and fabric like the Spaniards and Russians by Yellow One and Alexi and a Spaniard

Edit: post 400 wow

Probably because the subject of the thread is Painting Classes, and it's in a painting forum, so people might not think posting sculpting classes would be appropriate.

I think the one thing that I need the most work with my technique right now is contrast. Maybe a class in painting composition? How you direct the viewer's eye through a piece using light and dark and the conscious decisions made with color choice and contrast? I'd find that really interesting.

How about one on inspiration? Ideas for a mini, reasons to paint, how to avoid slumps and burnout?

I was doing fine last year (see any of my monster of the week posts), but since RCON, I have painted 3 (yep, THREE!) figures, 2 were for exchanges.