• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and to add to the question...

If an infantry team inside shoots at a target, does the target conduct its defensive fire against the infantry inside the transport (do they get cover) or against the transport, which did not shoot.

To add an example to Vil-hatarn's question:

- A Dictator '60 fires at an undamaged Centipede (which has an Armored Rifle Team being transported inside) and rolls a natural '10'. The player rolls to confirm the possible critical and gets a total of '13', inflicting an extra point of damage on the Centipede, but also inflicting a point of damage onto the Armored Rifle Team. Obviously, the Centipede gets a defensive shot, but what of the infantry inside that took damage from the Dictator's shot, and have LOS to the Dictator '60 through the gunports?

If the transport was destroyed by the critical hit, I could see the Infantry not being able to shoot back as the destruction of the Centipede was so sudden and complete that they would not be able to respond before they were shredded/vaporized/cratered.

:wacko::unsure::devil:

This has come up for me already, and I'm curious to see what others have to say.

My add on is for infantry being carried with an AA-52 upgrade? Would they be allowed to use it if their transport was fired upon by an aircraft?

To me this seems a more clear cut affirmative, though I thought I'd add it for completeness.

Firing a shoulder-fire missile launcher from the interior of a vehicle would be a bad idea. The exhaust from the missile would prove to be problematic for the remainder of the personnel inside the vehicle.

Backblast is a #$%#$%

I have been flattened one time running down the line when a law was fire...

It pales in comparable to the AT4 and SR-7 and Dragon and Tow....

But it is done, but not from a gun port. Its definitely not SOP or practiced.

Remember old tow missile systems in the 901 class are fired and usually the loader is top down in the back. When the hammerhead is up.

Put gun ports are just that GUN ports.. nothing larger than small caliber fire are cabaple currently.

However the smoke dischargers on the front of 113 class vehicles are 40mm I have seen them rigged with a mix of smoke and grenades.

Firing a shoulder-fire missile launcher from the interior of a vehicle would be a bad idea. The exhaust from the missile would prove to be problematic for the remainder of the personnel inside the vehicle.

I think I saw something on FutureWeapons where a shoulder-fired missile was being developed that was ejected from its canister by compressed air (I think), and then it's rocket motor ignited a safe distance away.

I think I saw something on FutureWeapons where a shoulder-fired missile was being developed that was ejected from its canister by compressed air (I think), and then it's rocket motor ignited a safe distance away.

If you meant the AT4-CS (confined space) that weapon actually uses a mass of salt water in the rear of the launcher that absorbs and distributes the backblast evenly and at much reduced velocity. No danger to the operator or allies in enclosed spaces.

Still doesn't mean you want to fire it off in a closed space just because you can, because remember what uncle sam says you can do and what you really want to subject yourself two are often not the same.

My view would be this.

The SA was actually meant really to be for anti infantry protection.

I would say no to heavy weapons as its gun ports not gun hatches (but that could be a new SA down the line)

I would say no to defensive fire from units within the apc as they don't have full situation awareness.

I would say yes to defensive fire against the APC if the infantry inside decide to poke the bear with a stick, as the AI's usually don't care if it was some poor dumb private who fired his rifle out a view slit or a crew served weapon the just know that that large target over there tried to hurt it.

If you meant the AT4-CS (confined space) that weapon actually uses a mass of salt water in the rear of the launcher that absorbs and distributes the backblast evenly and at much reduced velocity. No danger to the operator or allies in enclosed spaces.

I wonder if they cut the arming distance down on those as well... It used to be ten meters... When we initially field tested them..

I wonder if they cut the arming distance down on those as well... It used to be ten meters... When we initially field tested them..

The target engaged in the tv show appeared to be 300+ meters from the shooter so I can't say. Since the upgrade was designed for MOUT I would say they probably did decrease the arming time, simply because most towns (town, not city) rarely have roads as wide as a 300m.

I have to say I also agree with Chromes last post, gunPORT indicates something like the M2 was originally designed with, or what you can see on Soviet built BTR series wheeled APCs. These are NOT big enough for anything more than a MG. They do have a top hatch that can be used to fire heavier weapons, but that would be a different SA like Chrome suggested. I would also have to suggest that with the top hatch (if there is one) is open than the vehicle should definitely get the SOFT SA for the duration of that turn. If it was already soft, then a +1 or +2 bonus to the firer would be appropriate.

I have operated in vehicles with gunports.. they are currently designed for a specially modified M-16 version designation M231 PFW (port Firing Weapon)

see link for detailed information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M231_Firing_Port_Weapon needless to say these would be the equivilent of say a modified G-11 in CAV terms as far as something like a G-45 when in the APC we used the 231's otherwise we dismounted and used our standard weapons.. all heavy weapons i.e. M249, M60 (nowadays replaced by the M240) were never fired within the confines of the vehicle due to space issues.. trust me its a tight fit...

also accuracy with those weapons was in my experience very much spray and pray....

I also concur with chrome