Spartan CAV

TaleSpinner

Well I finished my first CAV. It is a Spartan for my UTMC task force, the War Dogs. It is painted TT quality, or so. It was really hard to suppress my show painting techniques and go for speed, but I have to if I am going to get through the whole 4000 point task force. :rolleyes: I was shooting to paint him in 4 hours, but it actually took about 6. I've gotta cut that down when I hit the Rhino.

For some reason the Dullcoate got a bit shinier than normal onthis guy and I can't figure out why.

Let me know what you think.

TS

post-140-1201042573.jpg

post-140-1201042581.jpg

<Edit: I updated the pictures with ones that hopfully show the true colors better than the original dark ones. TS>

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the trick to gettin good camo patterns like that... and stuff? I'm debating on whether to paint my ritterlich in a camo pattern, or something else (still have no idea what :P)

BTW which blue (or is it a green?) is that? I'm diggin the color but can't identify it.

Nice work! Excellent work on the camo.

Thanks Sarge; I followed your article. ::D: The wandering brush technique works great. It is a very relaxing way to paint.

Dulcote - shake well, reapply

Yeah, that is my usual approach. You are looking at 4 light coats of Testors Dullcoat. The last coat I shook for 5 minutes. It got a little better, but not as dull as I like. Sarge I agree that it may be that the flat areas shine more. Oh well, at least its protected well.

What's the trick to gettin good camo patterns like that... and stuff? I'm debating on whether to paint my ritterlich in a camo pattern, or something else (still have no idea what :P)

Read and follow Sarge's article in The Craft: Camo on a CAV. The only difference for me is that I did my midtone as continuous lightening like pattern flowing and branching over the CAV. My dark tone then lines the green so that no green ever touches the tan.

BTW which blue (or is it a green?) is that? I'm diggin the color but can't identify it.
Looks like Terran Khaki and the darkest of the Mossy Green triad, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Close Sarge, you got the green right anyway. :poke: Colors are as follows (all are Reaper MSP):

Base colors:

Light: 9162 Driftwood Brown

Med: 9034 Muddy Green

Dark (lines the green): 9160 Woodstain Brown

Darklining and Wash:

9136 Walnut Brown

Canopy:

9136 Walnut Brown with Linen White highlights muted with a Walnut Brown wash

Rearview Camera Lenses:

9707 Grey Blues Triad

Soil:

Base: 9029 Earth Brown

Wash: 9137 Blackened Brown

Dry Brush highlight 1: 9162 Driftwood Brown

Dry Brush highlight 2: 9191 Sandy Tan

Dark Lining in the foot print: 9136 Walnut Brown

The pictures of this guy got darker online than they were in Photoshop, thus causing the lining around the green to hide more. I'll try to touch up the lighting in the shots better tonight and see if I can post a better image.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it. Can't wait until I can take it to my son's Rach force. :devil:

TS