Temporary/Working Base Suggestion

andurion

The tape will hold, but I'm afraid some chunks of it will be left behind, making the base of the mini uneven. It will probably be difficult to remove.

I would go with a bottle cap and Blu Tak, or for larger figures, a bottle cap and super glue.

Despite the old Krazy Glue commercial, superglue will snap right off it you just flex the bottle cap a little, and any residue left over will still be flat, since the top of the bottle cap was.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I use a temporary base, but sometimes I just hold the figure.

If I use a temporary base, it should be smaller than the figure's base, because I don't want the temporary base to block my brush when I am painting the underside. A big temporary base might prevent you from seeing or reaching certain areas ... but sometimes those unpaintable areas will be impossible to see when the figure is on its permanent base anyway. ::P:

Derek

I'm like JoeK. I use that pin clamp when I've got my mini mounted on a base...only it tends to leave little dimples around the edge of the base.

I also tend to pin the mini's feet in preparation for mounting on a base, in which case, I'll chuck the mini (through the pin in its leg) into a pin vise (I bought a whole bunch from a "swapmeet tool guy"...I love those stalls!). I then drop the pin vise into a block of wood that has holes to take the pin vise.

If you have a multi-part mini, and use pins to secure, and like to paint the parts as assemblies, the multiple pin vise method is great.

-AW

If I use a temporary base, it should be smaller than the figure's base, because I don't want the temporary base to block my brush when I am painting the underside.

I've never had a problem with bottle caps. They aren't much bigger than the mini's base anyway. For larger figs, I use larger bottle caps. The standard humanoid fig fits well on a cap from a 2 liter bottle.

However, you bring up an interesting point. I can't see just holding it, though. For me, the paint would rub off and oil from my fingers would keep paint from sticking well.

I give myself three options when it comes to holding on to a figure:

1. Poster putty on a bottle cap (for figures already stuck to their base or larger than the cap)

2. Bubblewrap (54mm+ minis like dragons and Andrea models)

3. Foam wrap.. the really thin kind that I seem to accumulate a lot of as it's the padding of choice for cases of plastic card containers. This one I save for smaller figures with fiddly bits requiring inversion to paint.

I've a bunch of bottle caps in my pencil case for various situations including pinned feet (drilled a coupla holes in one), tabbed minis (sawed slot), and a couple different sized caps for other projects (water bottle cap, 16 oz soda cap, and the mega-sized 1 liter cap for light warjacks already on a bases).

As for what kind of poster putty? I like the yellow kind.. Blue tends to stick to me as well as anything else and I've never seen the orange.

I know I don't share my painted miniatures much here, but I do paint. :) I really like using helping-hands like these.

http://www.offersdirect.net/images/helping...-magni-pic4.jpg

For non-slotta figs it can be hard, but that's when I blue-tack it onto a film canister of sorts. Using the helping-hands is good for me because my hand holding the mini will shake a bit uncontrollably from time to time. And the built in magnifier is really nice to have.

I've owned one of these for a long time, but I've always found it dificult to paint with because the magnifier was too close and always got in the way. However, I disassembled it and rebuilt it sans clips as a single articulated arm with the magnifier on the end. It's just tall enough that with my elbows resting on the edge of my painting table and the mini in hand the magnifier is right in the perfect spot to see what I'm working on while not getting in the way of my painting hand. I think if I had three of them, I could cobble them together in a way that would allow the clips to hold a mini at the correct distance from the magnifier so that I could paint without bumping my brush against it.

Just as a followup to sticking the mini onto a bottle cap using mounting tape, it actually worked out pretty well for me. I only used two very small pieces of tape to adhere the mini onto the cap, and after I sealed it up the mini came off with little fuss.