queen of the elves and raven

jatbugg

So here I have the queen of the elves and a raven. The queen of the elves is for someone I game with, who wants to use her as a sorceress. The raven is my sorceress' pet, kuro. I've been told by a lot of people that what I paint is really good for table top minis, but I always do the best I can do on all my minis, because I believe that if I don't try my hardest on everything I do I won't get better. And the sorceress is a little messed up, there were mold problems around her hands that made it impossible to paint right, or even get it to look decent, whether I used the exacto knife to try and fix it or not. And her eyes.... Well, I guess It's time I break down and buy a magnifying glass. As soon as I get the money to do so... ^^; As usual, critiques welcome. ^_^

post-4428-1201472793_thumb.jpg

post-4428-1201472813_thumb.jpg

post-4428-1201472837.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what would you call it when it's between table top quality and contest quality? Because It is definitely not contest quality, but then, like you say, it's higher than table top quality...

And I'm not really sure what I would do with the bases. I mean, like I said, I plan on using them in the D&D campaign I'm in, so I didn't do much with it on purpose. But, what would you suggest? The base on the raven looked better, but then after I finished it part of the paint came off of the base. Oh well. ^_^

Very nice job on both! I love how you did the hair on the elf queen! She's in my plethora of "Must paint" so I love the ideas you gave me here. She looks awesome.

The raven looks great as well! Though I agree with Mamageek that violet/dark blue highlights are what they usually have; not brown :) But that's easy to fix!

You can find the 2.5 inch diameter 5x magnifier that I use for painting online for about $20... It's good enough that I can get nice even black outlines around the eyes of some of the Warlord familiars without all that much more trouble than the human-sized figures.

Thanks for the tip on the magnifying glass. I think for now it's more of an issue on keeping my hands steady, honestly. And as for the highlights on the raven... I guess it looks better in person, but the highlights are actually supposed to be red, because the sorceress that has this raven as a familiar is a fire sorceress, so I figured I'd go with a different color highlight than the usual. I was going for fantasy type realistic, not real life realistic. Now that I'm a better painter, though, I'd probably go back and put a lighter red highlight on top of the other highlights to make the red pop. Note that this was posted in January.