Range bands

mercoutlaw

Is the range band universal? My friend and I are getting ready for our FIRST all out CAV game on Friday and are trying to make sure we do everything correctly the first time out! Is it just adding modifiers for range when the weapons max is reached, or is there some table or calculation I'm unaware of? I think I have it right in my head, but I want to be sure! Thanks all!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Range bands are determined by your weapon ranges, for example a GGC with a range of (20) will be in the first range (short range) band when it is within 20" of the target he is firing at. If he's 21", he's then in the second range band and the -2 penalty is applied. Apply another -2 for each successive range band out to the 4th range band (beyond long range), the same for missiles and IFM's. If the DFM has 'smart' then the penalty is only a -1 rather than -2. Point blank range (inside 12") gives you the +1, except for IFM's which cannot be fired point blank.

2 key points about the 4th range band/Beyond Long Range

1. There is no Auto 10 beyond long range

2. You cannot take defensive fire if the weapon you're using is beyond long range. For example, a Rhino, whose main guns have a range band of 16 inches, is being shot at from a range of 50 inches. He cannot take a defensive shot back with the main gun because the attacker is beyond long range. His only option for defensive fire would be one of his DFM's, which have a range band of 28 inches and the Smart SA, which would be a penalty of only -1 to that shot.

You can, in theory, shoot indefinitely. But once you're getting into that 4th range band, it starts getting very impractical unless you're hitting a relatively weak or wounded target because of the cumulative penalties (unless your weapon is Smart).

Also don't forget that 0-12" is Point Blank Range and you receive a +1 bonus for Direct Attacks. Indirect Attacks may not target a Model within that 0-12" band at all.

Edited by Qwyksilver

That helps a great deal, but I should probably rephrase my main concern. Say a unit has a maximim range of 24 and it fires at a unit at 36 inches. Now, does he suffer penalties because it's out of his range yet within the medium range band still? The range bands are unviersal correct? The only thing that changes are the individual ranges which are subject to each level of range's corresponding modifiers which they fall within, right? ANy fire in the 0-12 inch suffers no modifiers just a +1, all short range are unaffected, medium +2, Long an additional +2, this is universal to all weapons regardless of individual range, they don't deviate without taking into account special rules, correct? I think I have it right, just making sure!

A Range Band is just a concept: its a measuring unit equal to the current weapon's Rng value. There is no such thing as "maximum range". In your example, the model with Rng (24) guns works like:

Range to target

1"-24" = 0 penalty

24"-48" = -2 penalty

48"-72" = -4 penalty

72"-96" = -6 penalty

if you're playing on a gym floor, you could keep going and going and going and going,

The DFM's with Rng (36), on the same model would be:

1"-36" = 0 penalty

36"-72" = -2 penalty

72"-108" = -4 penalty

etc, etc

If you attacked a model 50" away, your guns would be in their Long Range Band and have a -4 penalty, while your missiles would only be in their Medium Range Band and have a -2 penalty (or -1 if they have the Smart SA).

Does that clear things up for you?

I think so. You're saying that all range bands are not universal, instead they are relative to the model in question. So, everytime a range band increases it does so by adding the range to each consecutive band..

Range 12

0-12 no modifier

13-24

+2

25-36

+4

37-48

+6

Your example was exactly what I was getting at! My friends and I were in dispute on this, but I figured it worked the way you have just decribed it.

Just one more question then...How would I determine point blank range?

Thanks, Chrome and all of the rest of you also. Sorry if my question was vague!

I think so. You're saying that all range bands are not universal, instead they are relative to the model in question. So, everytime a range band increases it does so by adding the range to each consecutive band..

Range 12

0-12 no modifier

13-24

+2

25-36

+4

37-48

+6

Your example was exactly what I was getting at! My friends and I were in dispute on this, but I figured it worked the way you have just decribed it.

Just one more question then...How would I determine point blank range?

Thanks, Chrome and all of the rest of you also. Sorry if my question was vague!

Point blank range DA weapons is "under 12 inches", including flamers and Infantry weapons with less than 12in range, they still get the bonus. Remember, IA weapons can NOT shoot at less than 12 inches, that is their 'Dead Zone'.

Example: Maxim One Gauss Rotary Cannon

Rng: 16"

0-12" = Point Blank +1 to hit

13-16"= Short Range No modifier

17-32"= Medium Range -2 to hit

33-48"= Long Range -4 to hit

49-55"= Beyond Long Range -6 to hit

For every 16'' or fraction thereof past 55" add another -2 to hit.

You're saying that all range bands are not universal, instead they are relative to the model in question.

Technically, they're relative to the weapon system in question.

Also just to be on the safe side; I notice that you keep typing +2, +4, etc. Its actually a minus, a penalty. You subtract it from the die roll. :poke: