Monique DuNoir DVD - Suggestions for Miniature Mentor

Hey guys you've probably read from the topic just below that we are doing a Monique DuNoir masterclass tutorial with Julien Casses. Any Suggestions as to what you'd like to see in terms of color scheme - dark, bright, monochromatic, polka-dots? Julien's got some pretty good ideas already but we're wondering if will cater to the masses. What are your thoughts. Give us examples. What features of this mini intrigue you the most? For the most part we will be focusing on the non-metalic metal - sword, armour, sheild etc. Thanks for your replies Miniature Mentor.

Reaper_Monique.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where armor and metal is such a large portion of this mini, I would like to see some info on good color theory/mixing. So if you paint a red armor for example, maybe show what colors combinations would work well for skin, sword, cloth, armor trim, etc. I think it would also be cool if you showed multiple color schemes if this is possible (I know it would be a lot more work). But maybe you could show black armor and what colors work well with it, then show other color combinations with dark purple or blue armor, etc.

As for techniques, smooth NMM blends is my vote. Also you could cover both shiny NMM surfaces and flat NMM.

I've got the NMM technique down, but I'd like to see how to determine where to place the highlights on swords. Larger areas like armor aren't so hard for me, but getting the right diagonal highlight on a sword confounds me.

It's really not so hard. Before priming the mini, hold it under a bright light where you want your light source to be. Look at how the light falls on the blade.

"Gentlemen, start your brushes" ? What happened to us little ol' ladies here? :p

Colour scheme... hm... I'd like to see the contrast between two different extremes, such as light and dark and how to balance the elements so that, say, pale white skin doesn't look unnatural and pop out when surrounded by dark armour and vice versa, or how to deal with having too much dark or light and strategies to balance.

Hello all, i'll be the painter of monique for the DVD. This is my first post on this forum, so be fair ^^.

For this superb mini my idea was to make the armor in green, and all the mini with a forest and dark ambiance. Don't want to fall in the red and black classic vampire ^^. With the painting of this green, i'll speek about a lot of specifig and technic point.

Light, contrast, color theory, blending work, works on tones, blood for the sword, and metal too for this same part, focal and light point on the face, making a female face... all this point will normally be abord I hope.

Tell me if you think it's interesting :)

Julien.

Also, something that I didn't like about the first video you guys made, the Complete Guide to Miniature painting was how the video was broken up by area, but was not sequential. For example it showed painting cloth, then it went to painting hair, but the face was already painted in. Then a couple videos later it went back and showed how the face unpainted.

I would rather see a more sequential process that the painter (you in this case) takes when he paints a mini - basecoat all the areas of the mini first, then shading armor, then shade flesh, back to highlighting armor etc. I think that most viewers will probably have the mini in front of them and will want to follow you and paint the mini as you go along.

Light, contrast, color theory, blending work, works on tones, blood for the sword, and metal too for this same part, focal and light point on the face, making a female face... all this point will normally be abord I hope.

Julien.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I will find it all very interesting! I am quite excited about trying out the series. For those of us somewhat isolated from our peers (other than the internet) in real life, I am truly looking forward to seeing a step by step process done in real time, or close to it. Reading about techniques is good, but seeing it will be so much more informative, I hope!

This going to be good ::D: I plan on watching very closly seeing as how I like doing larger minis anyways.

Would you consider doing her in white armor with black trim? I had tried this once thinking it would look cool with some flaming red hair but I couldnt get the contrast down right so I didn't do it.

NMM is my weak point, I would like some on this as well as her sword blade, the light reflecting look is pretty neat but I'm not very good at it.

Thanks

Hell yes I think it's interesting.

I really, really like the idea of a dark green colour scheme.

I am really looking forward to this especially since this was a mini that delivered me much frustration and I never finished it.

While I prefer regular metallics, I'm still interested in learning how to do NMM right.

Hi,

First off - I really liked the first DVD, finished watching it today and picked up loads of tips, I can't wait to try them soon.

What I'd like to see in a future DVD, is doing freehand stuff (tatoos, patterns of shields or material, that sort of thing) I think it'd really help to see a professional doing them !!

Candra

What I'd like to see in a future DVD, is doing freehand stuff (tatoos, patterns of shields or material, that sort of thing) I think it'd really help to see a professional doing them !!

Candra

I second that request!

::D:

Perhaps some NMM gold trim along the bottom edge of her skirt that flows in and out of the shadows.

Hellow!

Also, something that I didn't like about the first video you guys made, the Complete Guide to Miniature painting was how the video was broken up by area, but was not sequential. For example it showed painting cloth, then it went to painting hair, but the face was already painted in. Then a couple videos later it went back and showed how the face unpainted.

I would rather see a more sequential process that the painter (you in this case) takes when he paints a mini - basecoat all the areas of the mini first, then shading armor, then shade flesh, back to highlighting armor etc. I think that most viewers will probably have the mini in front of them and will want to follow you and paint the mini as you go along.

RIGHT

my main focus on girl mini is always the eye, face and boobs (sorry I am a guy afterall)

so I'd like to see how the eye will be handled, especially reaper mini eyes are of more reasonable size, while freebooter eyes are a bit bigger (base on my personal experience)