Sign in to follow this  
CripDyke

Favorite reaper mini

Wow, as I was thinking about what to post here it hit me just how hard it would be to pick just one.  So I'm going to give a short list of five.

1. Amathor the Arch-mage. - He just has that classic wizard look with just a touch of originality. I love the owl and the textured cape.

2. Dragoth the Defiler on Throne - Reminds me of the scene in Conan the Barbarrian where he finds the dead king in the tomb. Anything that reminds me of Conan gets a bonus.

3. Denefin - Need an evil high priest with some attitude? This guy looks like he actually knows how to swing his mace!

4. All the knights with the big things on their heads - I really liked this line. They were classic yet imaginative at the same time.

5. Mangu Timur - Ok so this guy looks like he could double for a battering ram.  The low inset head makes this hulking figure strike terror in your players.

The list just goes on and on!

The new dwarf Bjorn just rocks.  I made up a DnD class based on the Thane from the Dark Age of Camelot game and this guy is just perfect.

1. Amathor the Arch-mage. - He just has that classic wizard look with just a touch of originality. I love the owl and the textured cape.

2. Dragoth the Defiler on Throne - Reminds me of the scene in Conan the Barbarrian where he finds the dead king in the tomb. Anything that reminds me of Conan gets a bonus.

3. Denefin - Need an evil high priest with some attitude? This guy looks like he actually knows how to swing his mace!

4. All the knights with the big things on their heads - I really liked this line. They were classic yet imaginative at the same time.

5. Mangu Timur - Ok so this guy looks like he could double for a battering ram. †The low inset head makes this hulking figure strike terror in your players.

The new dwarf Bjorn just rocks. †I made up a DnD class based on the Thane from the Dark Age of Camelot game and this guy is just perfect.

Just a little visual reference:

1. 2319: Amathor the Arch-Mage

2. 2056: Dragoth the Defiler on Throne

3. 2398: Denefin the High Inquisitor

4. 2410: Knight with Big Thing on Head 2420 2422  2429 2441 2446

5. 2483: Mangu Timur

*BONUS* Bjorn, Dwarven Warrior

webmaster kit

i just finished painting the sisterhood of the blade.

these are by far the highest quality miniatures ive ever purchased.

i also just finished painting brother louis IV. i consider him to be the best looking in my painted collection.

I've been using Reaper minis (amoung others) for years for my role-playing needs (sorry folks, I'm a role-player, not a war gamer, though I'm really curious about the upcoming Warlord skirmish rules, since I kinda liked Chainmail), and try as I may, I can come up with no one single favorite mini from Reaper.  There's so much I like (and quite a few that I absolutely hate), but I have to say (again): the Warlord line is absolutely one of the best things to hit the market, there's not a single one in the series thus-far that I don't like.  They're ALL quite impressive.

wow could you ask a harder question? The whole Vampire range is incredible! they inspired me to create my own rpg world, just to use as many as posable! and the Egyptian stuff, like Shal Shabath, Egyptian High Priestess, and the Egyptian sorceress are great! but if i had to pick one, it would have to be......"Alvhaera, Dark Elf". She is so... perfect!

My favorites right now are the dark elves... but I also like the "Assassin of the Blue Orchid" and Telemnar Dawntreader.

I get the most use out of all the little familiar packs, believe it or not. When the new set came out, FP3, I had to have it because one of the Druids in our RPG has a pet badger... so... it was fate.  :D

To pick a favorite, oh that's tough. †I can't limit my favorites to just one. †I really like Ms Garrity's faces and hair, they feel more real to me. †I love the innocent bystanders, er, townsfolk (2583 & 2584) that are recently out. †

I think Oswald the overladen henchman(2572), is probably my favorite of the day, he was so much fun to paint we bought two more. †He reminds us of the squire in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you know the one who follows Arthur with those silly coconuts.

it has to be Allanah Greyloft (02121) - don't know why, she's just a face and a cloak but she's lovely, oh, hang on, the Angel of Mercy (02095), no, the Angel of Light (02190)- but the Grim Reaper (02317) is lovely too, Ohhh, God - there's too many that are lovely... Sandra Garrity seems to be a rare talent.

Ok a little off topic but I play a Greyhawk world and I was able to use several figures from the line for different clerics of the main evil gods.  I also have several others that are pcs :D   Right now I'm partial to #2308 and 2495 that fits my idea for a character Knight of the Watch.  Also really like Bjorn and wish he'd been out a few months ago when I came up with Valmur my Ftr/Clr :p

I absolutely love the latest miniatures from Werner Klocke, the details on some of his minis is incredible to say the least (though I have to be extremely careful when removing the flash).

As for which one is my favorite hmmm that's tough but I'll go with Samantha of the Blade (2047) since she was my first Reaper mini.

Sandra Garrity has been my favorite scultor for quite some time - even before i paid attention to such things. When i go back to my favorite sculpts of years ago (8, 10 years even), i find her signature on the base. I just like her sense of style, but also, she knows how to sculpt to make painting the mini easier. I have to admit, i'm a mediocre painter 'cuz i paint so infrequently & i've never had someone to really teach me the craft. i've mostly made it up as i went along, though now i have net resources to learn about new techniques. Anyway, the point is that i love the reaper line for what they DON'T include (useless, difficult to paint details that serve only to challenge master painters and frustrate the rest of us) as what they do. The Death Shroud is a perfect example of Reaper minimalism. Horrifically scary but horrifically simple. If you need it painted for you game this weekend you have it finished in 2 days. If you want to go nuts painting ripped and ragged runes of power, you could add layers of detail for weeks. Either way, your player characters are going to know when the mini hits the table that they are in for a rough ride.

Other favorites, I believe my favorite Water Elemental is Reaper (woe betide me if i'm wrong!) - the wave with the face in the foam. It's perfect. Powerful. Truly representative of a watery shape, but the vague face - it almost seems it could be a trick of the light or the momentary random cascade of foam - puts personality and malice into the figure.

The Malvernis minis are the best group of general NPC warriors i've seen, but the inquisitors and war wizards! They have finally given the true representation of my favorite AD&D villain: Imar, the Wicked!  :angry:

Mother superior with war hammer is also a fun one - i'm using her as a super-villain in a villains & vigilantes campain.

That's plenty for y'all to chew on. I gotta hit the other sections and request a few new minis.  :cool:

The one called Monique DeNoir.  Or at least I think that is the name.  By Werner Klocke.  Another great one of the Water Sorceress by the same sculptor.

There are entirely too many to choose from, and my favorites seem to change depending on my mood, but some of my favorites currently are,

Dark Heaven Legends:

Midori, Female Monk

Monique de Noir

Gossamer, Air Elemental Sorceress

Vlad the Deciever, Evil Cleric

Grimm Grayrune

WarLord:

Grundor Hoardtaker, Barbarian

Ashkrypt the Lich

Lord Ironraven Justicar

Crypt Bat 2