Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Lurker

Freebooter 5th Anniversary

...that wasn't in the display case yet while I was there...

That's because Jen was busy melting it. :poke:

(Which probably won't make much sense, but there you go.)

The pictures are done well, but it's noticeably nicer in person. The piece absolutely deserved Best in Show, and would have placed no worse than second in Masters. (Had the piece been in Masters, the discussion about first place would have been ... complex. The piece that Marike won with was gorgeous, but the decision wouldn't have been an easy one.)

Jen, I already told you after I got mini from you (last Mini Exchange) -

you're too modest.

Outstanding piece, incredible painting, great atmosphere... You should be proud of yourself.

Is there an online gallery with more minis from that contest?

Absolutely stunning! I was one of the folks lucky enough to get a glimpse of this piece 'in the flesh' and it is impressive..

Congratulations on your win!

Thanks for all the compliments you guys. I'm still so nervous about showing my work. I always have to take a deep breath before I post anything. Still haven't gotten up the courage to post on Cmon, ('cause I understand they are ruthless), but maybe some day.

How did you do the water?

John Lee

The Water is just Woodland Scenics Water effects brushed over clear fishing line. I made a couple drops on the ends if the line and then superglued it to the base. Once it dried I applied more to create the webbing between the waves. (Thanks Lili!)

Nameless: I don't know if there will be an online gallery of the other minis from Ghengis or not. I would like to see it if anyone finds a link.

Ixminis: That's fine with me. PM me if you need any info.

Kristof: Come to Attactix for next paint club.... I'll bring it with me.

And for those of you that are wondering, the whole "melting" it thing is kind of a long story. One of my good natured yet evil commades played a practical joke on me that nearly sent me into hysterics! How does that saying go? "Revenge is a dessert best served cold"? :devil:

WOW!! Amazing work with an artistic balance of realistic and dynamic colors! Every technique and detail is done better than I could ever hope to accomplish. Where should I send the dentist bill? I lost a few teeth after I picked my jaw up from my desk. ; )

Jon K

As soon as I locate the missing disk with all the pictures on it from the convention I will post it on Electric Ocean.

I have been too stunned for words. This is so fantastic I could keep yammering about it for pages.

The first thing I thought was "OMG look at all the buckles! How did she ever make all of them stand out?!"

Next I took a look around the mini, there is a great balancing the composition that you have done with this. The eye travels around the mini quite well.

Then I got pulled into the story of the piece. My guess is they just got shipwrecked on this tiny patch of land, and the older and wiser privateer is ready for the struggle that is about to unfold, while the younger lady is afraid and looking for leadership from the older woman.

Because your painting technique, composition, sense of mood, and story are all first rate I am unsurprised that you won.

Well, I took the plunge and posted it on Cmon. ::P: So far it's not doing too bad. 61 votes with an adverage of 7.5. Now that was better than I had expected, but several people said I really should relist it with bigger pics. So I added them and hopefully they will be up later on today.

Wish me luck!

Yeah, you should be pulling 8's with that piece. My stuff (frog included) has been hitting the high 7's. You can generally expect 65-70 votes total, unless you really pimp your post in the forum or with shouts. Remember to take it all with a grain of salt- Cmon can be more of a popularity contest. If you want a 9, paint a hulking armored Warhammer dude- at your level you could easily hit that.

Don't get me started on the CMON stuff. There's a reason I stopped posting minis over there.

Wow - just Wow.......

This figure is wonderfully painted, but what really makes it great (IMO) is the excellent attention to detail on the base.

The water, the net, and even the little pieces of seaweed (made out of green stuff?) are just icing on the cake!