Just a Suggestion

Bruunwald

So, for me and my painting friends, the most important are the pictures of unpainted minis, not painted examples.

I agree with you on this point, but do not see how it applies to the new gallery - the painted images have not replaced the unpainted versions, they are just shown side-by-side now.

Plus, the painted samples have the added advantage of often showing more than 1 angle, which the reaper whites never do. ;)

/ali

ps. I like the new search thingy you are proposing, Kit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators

As they say: Release fast. Iterate faster.

http://reapermini.com/Miniatures

Faction links under the main splash and the new "product categories" under the search box.

Tags' "size effect" greatly reduced and the list is alphabetized. Note: Klockenbooty is still in the top 100.

Sort by release date as well as latest added figure, though the results are practically identical except for those few cleanup issues I'm still dealing with.

And Spike, just because you asked all nice-like, Razig and Reven no longer mix in the canonical category listing.

We'll be getting to the advanced search in a little bit. Other things demand my attention, and more time for the dust to settle is always a good thing.

I'm still taking notes.

• Super Administrators

Forgot to mention, images should once again be embeddable into your various forums of choice.

See?

14475_w_1.jpg

If that don't work, then it ain't my fault. : ]

So, for me and my painting friends, the most important are the pictures of unpainted minis, not painted examples.

I agree with you on this point, but do not see how it applies to the new gallery - the painted images have not replaced the unpainted versions, they are just shown side-by-side now.

Plus, the painted samples have the added advantage of often showing more than 1 angle, which the reaper whites never do. ;)

/ali

Well, IMHO the search function should initially show actual products only. People like us, buying Reaper minis for years and know what kind of things they are selling (or even have knowledges like when the last weapon set was released), can easily distinguish actual product from a painted example or converted model. But newcomers or occasional buyers may not.

For example, assume I were a newbie who wants to buy a mini for his PC in DnD, who happen to be using a spiked chain. So I use search function. I enter "Spiked Chain" in search box and now 11 images are shown. But only 2! are the actual products. 7 of them are converted examples which is just using spiked chain weapon pack, and 2 are painted examples of "Rasia, w/Spiked Chain". (Now Reaper started to sell pre-painted models and it is making the situation even much complicated)

Do you really think this is newbie friendly? Do you really think it is helpful for newbies or occasional buyers to find appropriate product for them? I don't think so.

Converted models and painted examples should be CLEARLLY separated from actual products. Basically, people come to see what kind of things they can buy.

All of the spiked chain conversions are clearly marked with the SKU of the spiked chains pack, and marked as spiked chains. And it's not like someone can order from that page - they have to go to the store, and order there - the stock number given is for the spiked chain conversion packs. And at this point, the store isn't showing the painted models (nor should it).

Is it 100% idiot proof? No - someone could still order stock number 3076 blindly, thinking they were getting one of Matt's conversions, but who's fault is that really? If they order from Reaper's store, it will show them the picture, if they order it elsewhere it will depend on that merchant.

For me, personally, I _like_ the fact that the painted figures come up beside the unpainted ones. And Reaper's been one of the last to adopt that - several other mini manufacturers have both painted and unpainted come up on the same page as well, though they don't all have a gallery as nice as Reaper's. Heck, many manufacturers show only a painted model, and have a text disclosure "Mini supplied unpainted." That's far less user friendly, IMHO.

Kit - the "advanced" search looks good to me.

• Super Administrators
For me, personally, I _like_ the fact that the painted figures come up beside the unpainted ones. And Reaper's been one of the last to adopt that - several other mini manufacturers have both painted and unpainted come up on the same page as well, though they don't all have a gallery as nice as Reaper's. Heck, many manufacturers show only a painted model, and have a text disclosure "Mini supplied unpainted." That's far less user friendly, IMHO.

100% agreed. Putting only the painted images up where they buy seems disingenuous to me. But it clearly works for those manufacturers, I suppose. This is the gallery, though. It can afford to be a little flashy.

Did I ever tell you about the time I toyed with putting some painted images up in the store once upon a time? Disclaimer with the "minis come unpainted and unprimed" and all that, and I still got a person complaining that the one they ordered came unpainted!

Yeah, like I'm going to take $2.99 for that paint job that set us back $300. He eventually saw the light and calmed down after we pointed out the disclaimer on the page. After that, I yanked all the painted images and kept it simple. That policy has served us well.

As for the advanced search, I think I may have it double as a way to set some default parameters for the gallery. Saved locally in a cookie, of course. That way it can come up with only primed figures for Shin, default to orcs for Spike, that sort of thing. :;):

Why? Because I can!

kit

I like having the model numbers on the previews, but I really miss seeing when they are going to be released. I know, I know, RSS feed coming shortly, but I'm not terribly interested in signing up for that. I liked having a general idea of when something was going to be released.

haven't chimed in yet, but I'm kinda mixed. I like the new look so far, but I will admit I did like the grouping by stock #s a bit more, but with places like Miniature Giant having the figs in that I guess no need to have it here.

I do like the painted figs & I do like the new look (the old gallery was nice but visually I didn't care for it).

btw RSS feeds, I guess I'm a bit new to these or don't use them much. I was signed up for the old ones but I never looked at them, is there anyway to have them delivered to you so you know you got a new one?

btw (love allot of those new previews btw!! (May thou, hmmm can you say bloodstone/beetle release for Rcon? he he)

RM

• Super Administrators
I like having the model numbers on the previews, but I really miss seeing when they are going to be released. I know, I know, RSS feed coming shortly, but I'm not terribly interested in signing up for that. I liked having a general idea of when something was going to be released.

Not listed in the thumbnails, but is listed in the detail view... I can add it to the thumbs and see if it doesn't look too busy.

btw RSS feeds, I guess I'm a bit new to these or don't use them much. I was signed up for the old ones but I never looked at them, is there anyway to have them delivered to you so you know you got a new one?

If you use one of the big guy's for your home page, you can often customize with it RSS feeds - I know My Yahoo, and My Google allow you to do this. I use RSS feeds on my Yahoo homepage to monitor several of my other favorite websites - any new info is there whenever I open a new browser window.

Once it becomes available, we should probably start a seperate thread on RSS.