Creating freelance armies

Dawnwings

Hi there,

Just wanted some clarifiaction on how to make a freelance list, because I'm not sure on the exact rules.

From what I understand, you pick an alignment and then whatever units you want so long as it meets the army building rules. What I wanted to know is if there are any guidelines for it, like can only have x amount of unit type, that kind of thing.

I'm thinking of doing making a Dragonriders of Pern army, just using dragon models as proxies for other flyers in the game, and I wanted to make sure that if I added the required number of ground troops, nothing much above an Unforgiven, and captains and whatnot, it would be ok.

As I said, I want to make it a legal army, and I plan to balance out the fact I have good flyers with average ground troops.

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freelance armies can mix and match any models from the various faction you want, so long as you don't take both good and evil units. You can mix Good and Neutral or Evil and Neutral all you want.

Unique models can only be fielded once.

Leaders models must fulfill their troop minimums and not exceed their troop maximums (which includes themselves and any Elites). There are also ratios of Sergeants to Captains and Warlords that you cannot exceed (make sure you take no more than a 2:1 ratio of Sgts to Captains/Warlords and you should be alright), and any game over 1501 must include a Warlord.

Elite models can only be fielded by Leaders that have an Elite Slot the number after the '/' that appears in a Leaders troop capacity. You can only have one Elite for every 4 models, in order to field a second Elite you'd need 8 models, and a 3rd requires 12 (assuming the Leader has enough Elite slots)

Grunts can be fielded in as many troops as you like.

Adepts of the same type using the same datacard can only be fielded in the same troop. You can't have Crusader Justicars in two troops, but you could have Justicars in one, and another adept choice (say Battle Nuns) in another. For each full 1000 points over the first thousand you can add a second unit of the same adpets, so you could add a second troop of Justicars at 2000 points and a 3rd at 3000.

You can only field a maximum of 1 Solo model for every Troop you bring to the board.

So if you bring a Captain and a Sergeant, each with grunts in tow, you can field up to 2 Solo models.

Truthfully this is the biggest thing that the rulebook rpovide which is not available in RC07. About 5 pages worth of rules that are pretty vital, but don't warrant buying the book for, hopefully Reaper will look towards releasing the ruleset online in its entirety soon (whether it will be for free or at a slight cost doesn't really matter, we need the ruleset available so we can promote the game).

Thanks so much for your help, that's what I thought the current standing with the whole thing was.

I've got access to the rulebook, I just couldn't remember if the freelance armies had additional restrictions, say a limit on 3/12 mages/clerics you can take or something.

Again, thanks very much for clarifying that for me.

Even though we're just getting into it, and I already have the rulebook, I wouldn't mind seeing a new printing of the rulebook. Be nice to have all the rules and errata in a single place. Not that having the errata in RAGE-C's a big concern once you know it. . . but I guess I just like to have a pretty book with everything I need in it. :)

Freelance armies can mix and match any models from the various faction you want, so long as you don't take both good and evil units. You can mix Good and Neutral or Evil and Neutral all you want.

Not to beat a dead horse (which I probably am), but I just wanted to make sure of this. The rulebook seems to suggest that all models must come from the same affiliations, and the affiliations are listed by alignment generally but even more by race (Good = Crusader, Elf, Dwarf). So what you are saying is that what is _meant_ is that a freelance company can use any models as long as other rules are followed and no good and evil model is in the same company.

We don't, then, have to build our "evil" freelance army from Darkspawn, Necropolis, and Overlords, for example, and we can take evil and neutral models from any lists, even Dwarves or elves?

Forlorn, as far as freelance is, you are correct. they can come from any factin as long as they follow the regular troop building constructs:

1. no good and evil in the same army

2. must have the regular command structure - require a captain before third sgt, warlord before thid capt, etc...

3. number of leader led troops must be equal to or more than the number of solos

etc...

etc..

Forlorn, as far as freelance is, you are correct. they can come from any factin as long as they follow the regular troop building constructs:

1. no good and evil in the same army

2. must have the regular command structure - require a captain before third sgt, warlord before thid capt, etc...

3. number of leader led troops must be equal to or more than the number of solos

etc...

etc..

Thanks! I appreciate the clarification/reiteration.