Just getting into Warlord

Soulmage

O.K. So my wife and I are building a circle of people to play Warlord. . . two years after we bought the book! LOL! We got distracted by "that other fantasy game" for a while. . . but after a while found it unsatisfying. . .

Anyway. . . we're playing last night and had a few rules questions come up:

1. If as model is in B2B contact with an enemy when it becomes stunned. . . when you make the Tough roll, does it stand up straight back in B2B, or does it have to charge in again (assuming the original opponent is still there?)

2. A model with First Strike is already engaged with an enemy model when a new enemy charges in. . . does the first strike trigger against this new enemy since it is the first round of combat for that enemy?

3. The book says to move bodies and stunned models out of the way when moving other models around. This can have an effect on where the stunned models are for the purposes of War Cry and other such spells that affect stunned models. Is this the intent, or are they supposed to be considered to be in their original locations?

4. Regarding looting: Seems like a model that starts in B2B with an enemy model can use its left-over non-combat action to loot the enemy if itsuccessfully stuns the enemy with its attacks. Is this the case? Seems like its awfully easy to put down tough models permanently that way.

5. On a charge, do you get an attack at the end of your charge move, or do you have to spend an attack action for it normally. I though that I saw somewhere that a charge comes with a free attack, but I can't find it anywhere now. SO basically, if you have to take a double move to charge, do you get to attack or not?

6. Can do deploy something with the Summoned SA on the table normally during the deployment phase, or does it HAVE to be summoned?

I guess that's it for now. . . probably have more later! Thanks!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Gets back up right where it fell, in B2B.

2. No-you're already in B2B. There's also a tactic in which you charge a first strike model but don't attack--when that model activates, it doesn't get first strike because it was in B2B at the beginning of the activation.

3. Effectively, the bodies are kicked out of the way. So, no, they are not in their original location.

4. Yes, that's how it works. Remember, though, that you do need to be starting in B2B with them--tough mostly helps out models downed in the first round of combat.

5. Double move means no attack; whether you technically use the charge bonus or not is irrelevant.

6. You can deploy them normally. Otherwise, the Darkspawn Demonic Legion sublist would have a bit of a problem...(they all have summoned)

Good luck!

On point #2 your are in fact correct as it does trigger First Strike becuase it is the first round of combat against a new troop . It the same as if the model was attack by 2 different models from 2 different troop activations , it still gets defensive strikes againts both activations .

The everyone I played against at ReaperCon 2007 played it wrong , and boy there were a lot of people with "First Strike " models .

It looks like Reapercon was before the Rage Chronicles came out last year, so I bet it was changed/clarified after the convention.

The everyone I played against at ReaperCon 2007 played it wrong , and boy there were a lot of people with "First Strike " models .

It looks like Reapercon was before the Rage Chronicles came out last year, so I bet it was changed/clarified after the convention.

Actually it wasn't as I had a big hand in playtesting for Rage Chronicles . Must have been something we overlooked or forgot about as there were quite a lot of changes . :blink:

Early on in the beta of RC07 I also recall discussions on the board talking about breaking from melee to charge another unit and use First Strike not being viable specifically because doing so goes against the wording of not being in B2B at the beginning of the activation. I think this wording was there in the beta or at least it is like that in every version I've have of the progression from play test to current version. Anyway, it is clear exactly how it works now, no use dwelling on the past.

4. Regarding looting: Seems like a model that starts in B2B with an enemy model can use its left-over non-combat action to loot the enemy if itsuccessfully stuns the enemy with its attacks. Is this the case? Seems like its awfully easy to put down tough models permanently that way.

Tough/X isn't that impressive an ability, it is indeed easily overcome with a loot action, the Question often is, is it worth wasting a non-combat action to loot a Tough/1-2 model when they have a pretty high chance of failing that roll by themselves. If you stop to loot a lot of models you could end up providing your opponent with a tactical advantage.

Also remember that the initiative system plays a huge roll in this as well, being that you may very well have killed me on with no actions remaining to Loot my stunned model (whether you moved and attacked or possibly killed me with defensive strikes) it happens often that it is an initiative race to see whether you loot before I can Heal or make a successful Tough/x check (or beofre I can kill the model that you intend to loot with).

If you are not in B2B with a given stunned model then you not only have to spend an action to move to the stunned model, but a further action to Loot, wasting a models entire activation to prevent a Tough/x check. Keep in mind it is just as easy for a 12 point Goblin to loot a stunned model and remove the possibility of a Tough/x check as it is for a 120 point Warlord.

5. On a charge, do you get an attack at the end of your charge move, or do you have to spend an attack action for it normally. I though that I saw somewhere that a charge comes with a free attack, but I can't find it anywhere now. SO basically, if you have to take a double move to charge, do you get to attack or not?

This isn't quite as bad as it seems, often using your last action to get into combat is an ideal situation. One, if your opponent has first strike or shock they will be unable to use these abilities against you, so better to in B2B than not in when they activate. Whether you charge on your first of second action of your activation you still get your charge move (or improved charge move) bonus. Also, many models are very good in melee even if they are using defensive strikes, models with Trencher supported by models with Reach, and especially models with Warmaster are formitable even when not on the attack. The nice thing about moving in and attacking is you set the terms: Support bonuses, Reach bonuses, and you choose exactly who your model is attacking. If you move in and wait for the enemy to attack who knows what he do to help that model win the combat.

Also take note of whether the troop you are attacking has activated yet this turn, if it has there is less of a danger (especially in you have an initiative advantage in the deck) because there is a chance when a new turn starts you could gain initiative and initiate the combat anyways.