Shaken tokens/Discipline checks

Soulmage

Oh, thought of something else. . .

1. It doesn't seem like you ever have to make very many disipline checks. Basically just when you try to break contact, or when you charge a fearsome monster. Neither of which happens all that often. Am I missing anything? Could somebody outline all the situations in which you have to make discipline checks?

2. Shaken tokens do not appear to give the model with them any penalty. They only grant models ATTACKING them a +2 bonus, is that true, or am I missing something there too?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thought of something else. . .

1. It doesn't seem like you ever have to make very many disipline checks. Basically just when you try to break contact, or when you charge a fearsome monster. Neither of which happens all that often. Am I missing anything? Could somebody outline all the situations in which you have to make discipline checks?

2. Shaken tokens do not appear to give the model with them any penalty. They only grant models ATTACKING them a +2 bonus, is that true, or am I missing something there too?

Thanks!

#1 yes , it does not come up very often in the game . The other instance is Shock , if you fail your discipline , you don't get any defensive strikes .

#2 , that's about right , except if you recieve a second token , the model is removed from the game . There are several SA's that negate this but I can't think of them all at the moment except "Undead" .

Army lists can be tailored to force you into making discipline checks or automatically suffering shaken tokens, Cavalry Heavy ones or choosing a lot of Fearsome models or using Scare spells does this. And some armies are very weak in discipline and are quite vulnerable to this tactic; don't underestimate the +2 bonus to hit.

Fearless, Undead, and Berserker models never get shaken tokens.

Instances Discipline comes into play (that I can recall):

+Making a check to charge a Fearsome model requires a discipline check (this happens quite often).

+Breaking from combat (failing while shaken causes retreat even if within cohesion).

+When a model fires into close combat, friendly units in the melee must make a discipline check or gain a shaken token.

+When a model casts a spell into close combat and a friendly unit is in the AoE the friendly unit is automatically shaken. (Volley used to be like this as well, but that SA is gone from the game.)

+Resisting the Shock ability to make defensive strikes require a discipline check(quite a common event when cavalry are around).

+Crusaders employing the Mercy FA requires a discipline check.

+Scare or Fear Spell = automatic Shaken token if spell succeeds

+If you are the last model in your troop you are 'All Alone' and gain a permanent shaken token that you cannot Rally from (Ronin SA voids this)

+If you fail a discipline check while carrying an object you drop it.

+In theory (and only in theory) the game could introduce a unit with Smite(Shaken)/x

Other than attempting to break from combat when shaken, retreat only occurs when already shaken models outside coherency fail a further discipline test, which is very rare, since if you are shaken you often take the time to rally. Being out of cohesion happens quite rarely.

Is this a super important aspect of the game? no, but it does come into play a fair bit. Usually from my experience I make discipline checks when breaking from combat, this is worth the risk much of the time for ranged combat units, break from combat; shoot using RAV instead of the models crappy MAV, and you get the +1 point blank modifier most the time as well, all the while avoiding defensive strikes. It will come into play anytime there are Heavy Cavalry on the board, and beware of Fearsome models when you go up against the Necropolis and suffer -2 Dis from Fear of Undeath.

I may have missed a few instance where discipline is used, but most of them are likely on my list.