Krylon Black Primer

Paintdawg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after reading the page kristof65 posted (thrush's page) i am definitely changing my opinions here. i think i will be using only actual primer from now on. Also as a side note. I had used almost nothing but black for years, but now i've started to use grey and like it so much more. thanks for the link. what a good demonstration. the adhesion decided it more for me than anything else.

Seconded! I find the Primer test to be extremely interesting.

I have used Krylon Ultraflat Black for some time (it goes on very smooth, and gives the mini a nice finish from which I can paint details very well). It would seem that using actual primer would cause minis to chip less, however, and I am going to start experimenting with this now.

I would like to know what Primer can give me the things I like about Krylon Ultra-flat. Duplicolor? I do have some Krylon Grey Primer, I might try that next.

I have to be really careful when and where I choose to prime reguardless of the paint brand because of humidity and temperature. MO is just not a good state for spraypainting outdoors. You want low humidity and room temperature which is really hard to get outdoors at the same time. I've switched from Krylon primer to Duplicolor recently but I still had a similar problem recently when I tried using a cold can of paint outdoors on a cool day. I also brought the mini straight back inside to a dry room temperature room but it still wasn't enough to keep the paint from getting messed up.

Most of my experiences with Krylon primer has been that half of the cans I purchase have settled leaving a massive amount of the can unusable. My paint chemist friend explained that with that brand especially the particles will begin to separate from the propellant and stick together. Sometimes you can get lucky and shake it lose but most often, it is spent in frustration. I have sense switched to duplicolor sandable primer and have not regretted it yet. Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the Feed back, I will check at the local Pep Boys. I have noticed alot of painters in the forums use black for the primer, how do you keep from losing the finer details of the mini. I have to struggle quite a bit to pull (detect) the details of the mini when i do use black. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/pointers to resolve that issue?

Thanks for the Feed back, I will check at the local Pep Boys. I have noticed alot of painters in the forums use black for the primer, how do you keep from losing the finer details of the mini. I have to struggle quite a bit to pull (detect) the details of the mini when i do use black. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/pointers to resolve that issue?

Some may use black, but a lot of painters use white (or light grey, which seems to be preferred among garage kit painters).

Black primer is often preferred for fast army painting styles. White primer is used where truer colors or light/bright colors are the goal.

I know this is insanely late from the start of the topic, but I came across this on a Google search. I do paint minis (of course!) and I'm a decent painter. I wish I could claim top notch, but I'm still growing and improving. I have, however, been painting (thankfully progressively better) for at least 5 years or so.

My search on this started because I really don't like the new nozzles on Krylon primer. I normally try to prime and seal in a large cardboard box to keep overspray from blowing all over. The new nozzle seems to blow it straight in my face. They may be great for large projects like furniture or (to be fair) what Krylon probably makes it for to start with.

I was amazed at the amount of problems people have had with Krylon. I've been using the white literally for years and although I think it's inferior to Floquil or GW it's the only thing I have access to without doing mail order.

I do live in Texas so humidity and temps may have something to do with it, or the fact I buy the Krylon at Wal Mart (fast turn around and it's not on the shelf for long.) I also use it up within a month at the longest.

I've never had any problems at all with it clogging up, laying down a grainy / gummy surface or anything like that.

I did have a problem with Floquil black, but that was my own fault. I got a bit carried away and put way too much on. I had to put them in front of a box fan for a few hours to get them to dry. It was either that or throw them tiny little life preservers because they were drowning in primer. :P

Now, I will say that Krylon white doesn't cover anywhere near as well as the Floquil white. It probably takes twice as much so if I could get Floquil locally it would probably be the same price as the Krylon (and half the can wouldn't end up air borne drifting to the neighbors hedge.)

As for it sticking long term and rubbing off, other brands made for modeling probably do work better. I also had problems with old plastic models and it left a "fuzzy" look, which was what made me initially go over to Floquil when I could.

Thanks for that link and for the tip (extremely belated) on the Duplicoat.