Whaddayaknow?!.

Errex

I hadn't done freehand in a while, but having just recently  some of it on my latest project, I re-learned these tips:

1.-Use thin brushes with long bristles. Most art brushes I have are finely pointed, but have bristles about half as long as a GW fine detail brush. The longer bristles hold more paint/ink, and make less of a hassle working on extensive patterns.

2.-Use very thin paint or inks. Be ready to do a number of touch ups. Drawing patterns over curved surfaces can be tricky, and more often than not, you will need to go back several times to fix a slip up. If you use thinned paints, it will be easier to get a smooth finish after touching up.

3.- Since we are working with thin pigments, make sure that you don't overload your brush with paint, unless you intend to wash over your entire design. If that happens, don't panic and start over.

4.- If your pattern doesn't come out right, cheat your way out of the mess you got into. Doing a gradient usually helps to distract people from the fact your traces are not regular.  :p

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just emphasize the point of using thin paints. Do not get frustrated when your design is difficult to see because your paints are thin. Simply go over it again with another coat of thin paint. Here are two reasons why you should do this. One, if your paint is transparent enough, it is easier to fix mistakes by one thin coat of the original base color. Two, for your second coat, you will notice it is a lot easier to trace an already existing design, and you can draw your brush in such a way that the raised areas will be highlighted without too much trouble.

I'll admit it's a crutch...  ...but it works so well!  

:D  How can you think negatively about an additive?

Anne must have mentioned this stuff a dozen times, but I'm slow.  I didn't see the point to it until I tried it - and I ain't giving it up!  

Just make sure you read the directions and dilute it if the bottle says to do so.