Before or during a battle how much must your reveal about your force to your opponent? We work under the system that any question about a specific data card is always answered, but what about your overall roster? Can/should you keep your specific strike package from your opponent for the element of surprise or do they have the right to see everything you brought and the final assignments of every asset (where applicable)? I'm not talking about some underhanded cheat here. I'm a stickler for doing my pre-battle paperwork to the last detail, but I can really see a reason for withholding what my strikes are until after the battle. Now after the battle, my sheet is fair game to prove I did everything legally (now that the bombardment caught you densely packed in your deployment area).

I am all in favor of the good sportsmanship thing of answering questions your opponent would likely know (What's the Harpy's DV?), I'm just curious where others stand?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just good practice to let your opponent know what a given model's particular number are, and vice versa. Since everybody who plays has access to the Data Cards anyway, you might as well tell each other what you've got if asked. Plus such openness removes the temptation to fudge the result of a roll (if you need to roll a 6 to hit your target and your opponent says you need a high number, for instance) and nips mistrust in the bud before it can get started.

Depends on the type of game I'm playing. If I'm playing a tournament game, the only other people who know exactly what I have at the beginning are the organizers who have copies of the task force list. I'll answer questions when asked but don't go out of my way to volunteer info. For friendly games I'm fairly upfront with what I've got.

As a general rule, you should never tell some one no you can't know what I have. But ya keeping strikes a secret till they are deployed is always fun, as long as you have them clearly notated somewhere and in what quantity. Its all about what we call "Open Playing" Each player knows if asked they will give full clear answers to the specific questions asked. The fun is that neither of you ask unless you really really need to know the info. Someone who continually tries to get full disclosure of everything before the dice even start rolling will usually find themselves with out an opponent.

As a general rule, you should never tell some one no you can't know what I have. But ya keeping strikes a secret till they are deployed is always fun, as long as you have them clearly notated somewhere and in what quantity. Its all about what we call "Open Playing" Each player knows if asked they will give full clear answers to the specific questions asked. The fun is that neither of you ask unless you really really need to know the info. Someone who continually tries to get full disclosure of everything before the dice even start rolling will usually find themselves with out an opponent.

That has usually been my philosophy, but I can't just start dumping opponents. Right now MattyFoe and I are the Fall River CAV group. Working on converting other newbies though.