The passing of Gary Gygax

Shakandara

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a shock to hear about Gary.

Thank you, Mr Gygax for giving us a game for weekends or after high school (back in the day for me). Really had fun with my friends back then & I really don't know how many of those friends I would have met if not for D&D.

Heaven now has it's Gamemaster

RIP Gary

RM

Thank you, Gary, for the boundless entertainment you have shared with so many people. Thank you for inspiring me and many others into keeping our imaginations active. Thank you for creating a game that has led many people to write, draw, paint, sculpt, and create worlds. While you borrowed many elements from existing mythologies and other writers, you showed that borrowing does not mean copying. Your legacy will continue to live, grow, and thrive as first and second generation gamers teach their young ones.

What would the world of MMOs be today? Would Reaper even exist? Would any of the Reaperites have gotten to know each other on this forum so well so that we consider each other family? Would I have ever met my husband or would I have the two wonderful boys I have now, if not for D&D?

Through your inspiration, your game (created in conjunction with David Arneson, my sympathies for the loss of your dear friend), you have helped me hang on to an imagination that I had as a child, rather than relinquishing it as adult life and responsibilities set upon me. Through the trials and tribulations that have been thrust upon your creation you have still inspired millions of gamers, young and old, and you never gave up your passion. You brought together whole communities and with your partner, and never realizing it at first, you created a foundation for a revolution of gamers around the world. Rest In Peace. Your memory will live on.

This is such a terribly sad day for me. I have been gaming for many years and always was proud to have a copy of the 1st ed AD&D rules to show my friends. My dad had given me the books when he quit gaming and passed it on to me.

When someone creates something that can be handed down from one generation to the next, their passing will leave a hole in many, many hearts.

He will definitely be missed.

When I was ten, my folks were heavy drinkers, and weekends for me consisted of sitting next to them on a barstool while they drank the day away. They offered me the chance to stay with a college-aged neighbor, who was playing this badly publicized (remember Pat Pulling?) game called Dungeons & Dragons. I took it, originally, largely as a way of staying out of the bars. Now, nearly 30 years later, I can honestly say that D&D saved my sanity, and my life. I have no doubt that if I'd followed the path my folks had put me on, I'd have drunk myself to death by now.

I am grateful that I had the chance to tell Gary this story a few years ago.

I know he will be missed by many at our Dinner Table (sorry, Jolly)

-Amalor Myrnnyx

RPGSheets.com

Wow. That just sucks. I was just explaining to my wife, who is not really a gamer but does it to share time with me, the significance of Gygax and D&D and its' effect on popular culture today.

His game was the source of my best memories of high school and keeping my imagination going after entering the "adult world." And in large part because of his game and the many other interests and hobbies that developed because of it, I live by the motto "I will become a responsible member of adult society, but I will never "grow up."."

I haven't actually played D&D in a long time, probably 15 years. I've found other RPGs that suit my preference better rules-wise, one in particular. But whenever I get to play some Fantasy HERO the goal is always to bring back the fun and adventure that I got playing Mr. Gygax's game all that time ago.

We'll all miss you, even those of us that never got to meet you.

Thanks for the game.

Posted this over at Troll Lord Games:

First off, my heartfelt sympathies and prayers go out to his family.

As I read the posts and considered, there have been few constants in my life. Much has changed, through various education levels, jobs, friends, family, even where I lived and went to church. But since my introduction to the game in 1978, D&D has been a constant part of my life.

I have made many friends through the game, learned many skills, and have known much joy due to this game. When I get a little time to myself, inevitably my mind wanders to dreaming up fodder for new modules, adventures, characters or the like. When I consider all that, I realize what a major portion of my life this game is to me.

So I join the others thanking Gary for contributing what turns out to be a major portion of "who I am" to my life. I can absolutely say that I would be less without the game, and worse for it.

I started playing D&D 26 years ago and have been playing one kind of RPG or another (with an occasional computer game thrown in for good measure) ever since. The impact on my life is inestimable.

Goodbye, Gary. And thank you.